300 Win Mag or 300WSM?

4ester

WKR
In my experience the longer Win Mag feeds better the the short fat cartridge. And I prefer heavy for caliber Bullets so I would lean towards the Win Mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a Tikka guy... so in that case I went with the WIN Mag. Also appreciate the ability to run heavy bullets easily.

i own both and there are advantages to each. the 300 wsm usually hold one less round in the magazine, and you are limited to a 200 grain bullet. the 300 win mag you can shoot up to a 220 grain bullet. My WSM's have less felt recoil, something about the burn rates...i dont get it I just know how it feels. if hunting in alaska you can find 300 win mag ammo at every corner store, it is more available and cheaper. 300 wsm ammo is getting much easier to find. I have had some trouble reloading my wsm ammo. It can bulge the brass out a little at the top if your load is too large and you push the bullet in even a fraction too far. but once you dial in it is not difficult. Ballistics are almost identical and both will always be great choices. That being said my goto for elk and large mule deer where i may be shooting a longer distance is my 300 wsm. If i were to ever spend a great deal of time in Alaska that might change simply based on the availability of ammo and how common a 300 win mag is up there.

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm of the opinion that the 300WSM is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Same ballistics, smaller max grain bullet, even less if you use copper, sometimes loosing one round capacity, all for the benefit of a shorter cartridge length? The only justification that makes sense to me is ease of manufacturing for a company that focuses on short actions. But, since it's Winchester that developed the 308, WM, and WSM, and will never stop making actions for the 300WM, 30-06, 270, it doesn't hold up for me.

As you may guess, I own a 300WM :)

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that the 300WSM is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Same ballistics, smaller max grain bullet, even less if you use copper, sometimes loosing one round capacity, all for the benefit of a shorter cartridge length? The only justification that makes sense to me is ease of manufacturing for a company that focuses on short actions. But, since it's Winchester that developed the 308, WM, and WSM, and will never stop making actions for the 300WM, 30-06, 270, it doesn't hold up for me.

As you may guess, I own a 300WM :)

You could say any caliber designed in the past 60 years is a solution to a problem that didn't exist but that doesnt eliminate their positives.

300 WSM has been the choice of recent champion bench rest shooters because of the inherently accurate case design (using 230 grain bullets none the less). It eliminates a belt, steeper shoulders reduce case stretch, 0.6" shorter case than WM means with a given freebore you need 0.6" less barrel to get equivalent bore length, often offered in factory rifles with shorter barrels and actions resulting in a handier package. These are all very incremental improvements but they are improvements. Do these benefits offset negatives like deep seating of long bullets in more factory short actions (WM not immune here either), less common and more expensive ammo, some rifles having finicky feeding, and less power? Depends on the application which could be figured out in answers to Justin's questions.

I like short chubby cases but would happily rock a WM too. Never had a problem finding 300 WSM Norma brass over the past few years, and it really only takes one purchase for the life of a barrel if you're smart anyway. I would not buy a WSM that did not have at least 2.9" mag length like I wouldn't buy a tikka win mag because of their restricted COAL.

You could say any caliber designed in the past 60 years is a solution to a problem that didn't exist but that doesnt eliminate their positives.

300 WSM has been the choice of recent champion bench rest shooters because of the inherently accurate case design (using 230 grain bullets none the less). It eliminates a belt, steeper shoulders reduce case stretch, 0.6" shorter case than WM means with a given freebore you need 0.6" less barrel to get equivalent bore length, often offered in factory rifles with shorter barrels and actions resulting in a handier package. These are all very incremental improvements but they are improvements. Do these benefits offset negatives like deep seating of long bullets in more factory short actions (WM not immune here either), less common and more expensive ammo, some rifles having finicky feeding, and less power? Depends on the application which could be figured out in answers to Justin's questions.

I like short chubby cases but would happily rock a WM too. Never had a problem finding 300 WSM Norma brass over the past few years, and it really only takes one purchase for the life of a barrel if you're smart anyway. I would not buy a WSM that did not have at least 2.9" mag length like I wouldn't buy a tikka win mag because of their restricted COAL.

Incase you ever go tikka

Tikka T3/T3x Bottom Metal - Long Action | AICS or TRG Compatible DBM – RedSnake Tactical

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider

That more or less sums up my choice in calibers in general! I use a .270 for 90% of my hunting and can't see a reason to use anything else other than my 300WM, and only in certain situations. The .270 has virtually the exact same trajectory with the same weight bullets as a 7RM, using the Superformance GMX I use, and exceeds the 6.5CM with a heavier bullet and no significant recoil IMHO. Sure you could go back and forth on the theoretical accuracy of one round versus another, but when it comes to hunting, a theoretical gain of .25 MOA isn't worth a new rifle, reloading gear, time to work up a load, etc.

The 300WM does fit in that 60 year window, but I think the commercial availability and success puts it way ahead of the 300 mags available at the time.

The 300WM is a great cartridge and I'd be happy to have one. That said, I prefer my GAP 300WSM. There is very good available load data, many options for the .30 bullet, good brass (Norma) and powder (H4350, H4831sc, H1000, etc.). The performance of the cartridge once tuned to your rifle is spectacular whether your are shooting paper or hunting. The only issue I've had was a feed problem with the longer Berger 210 hunting VLDs. The COAL is 2.942" to the lands for my rifle. I adjusted the magazine's feed lips and have had no issue since. Most other bullets e.g. SMK 175 gr have a shorter COAL so not issues. I also shoot a 6.5x284 and 6.5 4S (SAUM) and am just as happy shooting the 300WSM.

Both great rounds. Using handloads, a customer is pushing 212 ELD-X in his WSM at 2850 fps.... While another customer is pushing 215 Hybrids in his Winmag at 2990.... They are definitely in the same ball park with the Winmag having a slight advantage ballistically.

Mike

excaliber

WKR
I'd go with the 300 Win Mag. The 300 WSM does not handle the heavier bullets and long hand loaded cartridges as well.
If you hand load the additional fps is a big deal along with the ability to shoot heavier bullets. From what I've seen in quite a few 300's of both type, the 300 Win Mag is easier to load for and is more accurate at longer distances with heavier bullets.

I see no advantage to choosing the 300WSM over the 300 Win Mag other than weight and that's only a few ounces.

frankrb3

WKR
I have a 300WSM and told my dad to get the 300 win mag. He doesn't reload and factory ammo choices and prices are better for the 300 win mag. Both are great all species calibers, although they can be a little harsh on smaller game like antelope.

Agree but I'd also mention the consistency of velocity (aka ES) in addition to velocity. That makes those stubby cartridges like the 300WSM burn efficiently and perform awesomely. Witness the 308. It will not knock anyone's socks off re speed, but it sure will shoot tiny groups.