300 Win Mag or 300WSM?

I want to buy a new rifle and I can’t decide what caliber out of the two, to go with? Can any of you guys who have those calibers, give me some thoughts or opinions please? Thanks

I would say standard 300 win bc of ammo $$$ unless you want/can reload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I want to buy a new rifle and I can’t decide what caliber out of the two, to go with? Can any of you guys who have those calibers, give me some thoughts or opinions please? Thanks

Both are great hunting cartridges capable of pushing high bc bullets for just about any hunting situation. I have personally had better results with the 300wm when shooting heavier bullets but feel they are very close when shooting lighter bullets.

The right answer here will depend on your intended uses and whether or not your intended load will fit in whichever rifle you choose.

Here are a couple questions that will help get you the best cartridge for your use.
  • What rifle are you planning to buy?
  • What are your intended targets and distances?
  • Do you reload or plan to?
  • Are you looking to get a light weight setup?

I wouldn't let the difference in price of ammo have any bearing on your decision making. In many cases there is no difference in cost between .300wm and .300wsm ammo and usually when there is a difference, it's a matter of .30+/- cents/round. I had a .300wm for many years then bought a .300wsm because I basically liked the caliber and wanted a light wt. mountain rifle (which my .300wm was not). After a few more years of owning both, I eventually sold the .300wm because the .300wsm turned into my go to mountain rifle and the .300wm turned into a safe queen. Just my .02 cents and, like Justin said, they are both proven rounds, I chose the wsm for the lighter platform, you just need to determine what's important to you.

OP
D
I basically want an all around rifle for Elk, muleys, Antelope, maybe Mtn Goat, moose etc. Definitley want the rifle on the lighter side. I do load my own shells.

I can’t claim a deep knowledge of either. I did just go through that decision myself when I decid3d on a magnum. I landed on the 300 win mag mainly because it was the caliber of the gun I selected. I may have had a slight preference due to ammo price and availability.

I shot both and couldn’t tell the difference in felt recoil. Accuracy is going to be a lot more about the specific gun than the caliber. Neither is going to be a dream to shoot unless you go with a heavy bench weight rig.

If you are looking for a backcountry gun I would say go with something light. It is way easy to add a big scope or a bipod or something if you want some mass to settle the rifle down. Much harder and more expensive to lighten them up.

Last point I would make is take a hard look at why you want a magnum. Higher ammo costs and considerably less pleasant to shoot than a 308 or any of numbe rof calibers that would be sufficient for a lot of game. Barrel life is going to be an issue much sooner as well. Not that I would deter a fellow rokslider from buying a gun, just suggesting a bit of additional consideration before you commit.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
My go to all around gun is my 300wsm. I've used it on Elk, Bear & Deer (both whitetail & mule) with great results. My farthest shot has been just shy of 400yds. It is a great round and my favorite. That said, I think both are capable of serving your needs. I like the factory bullet selection for the 300wsm since I do not reload.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Justin and AK TB have got you solid advice. If you want to build the lightest 300 Mag you can, and are going to shoot 150-180g bullets, go short. If you don't care about having the lightest and/or think you may end up shooting 210-215 bullets (for LONG range shooting) go with the standard. I've got one of each and my 300WSM is 7.25# Winchester M70 Classic with a 3.5-10 Leupold.

And anything you shoot with either isn't going to be any more dead than if you used a 30-06...

hodgeman

WKR
My .300 WSM has been my "go to" gun for going on 12 years. I've knocked over a ton of stuff with it and never found it wanting.

Ammo is readily available for the .300WSM and not any more costly. If you're a hand loader, it's a moot point. Factory loads in the WSM tend to be loaded right up to cartridge's full potential, not so much with the WM.

The WM can do a little better with bullets over 200gr....who cares? With modern bullets, a 180 can get you all you need for further than it makes sense to shoot. After that you're dialing anyway and who cares about 100fps?

It's no trick to get a 7.5 pound WSM. If weight is a concern, the WSM is where it's at.

I just made this decision. For me it was about powder burn per barrel length. A short 24” barrel and lighter short action would have suited me better for backpacking. The longer actions and barrels, required to burn all that powder, add weight with a slight loss of maneuverability.

I figured after an initial ammo or brass purchase I would reload forever. A sale factory 30 Nosler ammo over at midway settled the deal, couldn’t be happier so far. The 36” barrel with the break seams fine.

I wouldn't let the caliber make the decision, let the available rifles help you decide. I know the backcountry hunter in me ALWAYS shies away from heavier rifles. I like a rifle to be light, well balanced, and accurate. I have a 300 WM and 300 WSM, most times the WSM gets the nod because I don't want to carry a 9+ lb rifle on a 3000 ft ascent. The WSM I own shoots 165 Accubond bullets very well, my WM shoots the same flavor only in 180 gr best. If I'm day hunting in moderate terrain, which is rare anymore, I'll use the WM. I love how hard the 300 WM hits elk at 300+ yards, but the WSM is no slouch. For backcountry/backpack hunting I'll always use the WSM if there's an elk tag in my pocket. If it's mule deer I'm after, my .280 Mountain Rifle gets loaded. I always let the ergonomics and overall quality of the rifle decide if it can come hunt with me, caliber would be the second choice to make after the rifle itself is decided on.
I've found very few rifles in my 20+ years of Western hunting that I truly love, and all 3 of them are listed here. Find one you love, then get it chambered in a cartridge that shoots far and hits hard.

Both are great hunting cartridges capable of pushing high bc bullets for just about any hunting situation. I have personally had better results with the 300wm when shooting heavier bullets but feel they are very close when shooting lighter bullets.

The right answer here will depend on your intended uses and whether or not your intended load will fit in whichever rifle you choose.

Here are a couple questions that will help get you the best cartridge for your use.
  • What rifle are you planning to buy?
  • What are your intended targets and distances?
  • Do you reload or plan to?
  • Are you looking to get a light weight setup?

Never owned the 300 full sized version. But, have owned the short mag. And, this is what I would have said if he didn't. God Bless

I can’t claim a deep knowledge of either. I did just go through that decision myself when I decid3d on a magnum. I landed on the 300 win mag mainly because it was the caliber of the gun I selected. I may have had a slight preference due to ammo price and availability.

I shot both and couldn’t tell the difference in felt recoil. Accuracy is going to be a lot more about the specific gun than the caliber. Neither is going to be a dream to shoot unless you go with a heavy bench weight rig.

If you are looking for a backcountry gun I would say go with something light. It is way easy to add a big scope or a bipod or something if you want some mass to settle the rifle down. Much harder and more expensive to lighten them up.

Last point I would make is take a hard look at why you want a magnum. Higher ammo costs and considerably less pleasant to shoot than a 308 or any of numbe rof calibers that would be sufficient for a lot of game. Barrel life is going to be an issue much sooner as well. Not that I would deter a fellow rokslider from buying a gun, just suggesting a bit of additional consideration before you commit.

And, this is what I was thinking before quoting the first post. Unless you intend to shoot over 200 grain bullets at longer ranges, I'm talking 500 plus yards, a '06 loaded with 180 grain bullets out of a 24 inch barrel is ALMOST the equivalent. I'm pumping 180 grain partitions at almost 2900 fps with reloader 21. Which is more than enough gun, for mid range and less, for anything that roams this continent. It starts losing out to the 300 wm after the 200 grain loads though. Just something to consider as the price to shoot the 300's versus the old '06 is pretty severe. God Bless

wytx

WKR
300wsm. I have used mine on all the animals you mentioned adding cow bison to that list, no mtn goat. 165 gr bonded bullet reloads do the trick on all heavy game. The short action makes for a much lighter rifle and they shoot flat. Spouse loads 180 gr accubonds in a Winchester featherweight 300wsm.
No need for a heavy mag like the 300wm when the wsm will do the job just fine.

My vote is the wsm for an all around gun. If your looking for a longer range 30 cal. I'd skip the wm and go RUM.
To me it would be a 300 WSM or 300 RUM decision to make.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 300 wsm and love the gun shoots great. The downfall is brass for the gun. I was not able to find 300 wsm brass from sandy hook till this spring and now I can find it but it’s really hit or miss. If I was to buy again I would get the 300 wm for the better availability of brass. Either are great calibers with near identical ballistics.

El Rojo

FNG
There's very little ballistic difference in the two. I own both and one kills them as dead as the other. The OG .300WM is a little easier to find ammo for, the WSM is marketed to have slightly less recoil. I can't tell the difference in recoil.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
6 to one half dozen to the other.
Only caveat being 300wsm brass might be harder to come by than 300WM.

R

And, this is what I was thinking before quoting the first post. Unless you intend to shoot over 200 grain bullets at longer ranges, I'm talking 500 plus yards, a '06 loaded with 180 grain bullets out of a 24 inch barrel is ALMOST the equivalent. I'm pumping 180 grain partitions at almost 2900 fps with reloader 21. Which is more than enough gun, for mid range and less, for anything that roams this continent. It starts losing out to the 300 wm after the 200 grain loads though. Just something to consider as the price to shoot the 300's versus the old '06 is pretty severe. God Bless
This was my thinking too in the long run... I stay sub 5-600 for hunting and am pushing 168s at 2950 with my 06... Been plenty on elk in the 300-400 yard range.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk