OnX failed me when I needed it. Iphone version RANT

I never complain about anything and am generally easy going, but this bothered me enough to bring it to the forums attention.

I was hunting a treacherous part of a wilderness for first rifle and was using OnX on my phone as my GPS. I had a few places marked from earlier in the week with my routes of how to get to and from. One morning when I pulled out my phone and tried to find my location on an offline map It wouldn't let me overlay my map, I was just a dot floating on a blank screen. When I would try to track my location it would close the app altogether.

It only had this issue early in the morning and late at night. During the day while I could see clearly it worked, go figure.

It is exceptionally frustrating to know you spend good money on a product and it failed to live up to its description when you needed it. I was in some seriously dangerous terrain and I had to sit tight until the sun came up to get my bearings. What good is a "GPS" when it doesn't tell you where you are

In addition to the feature failures the topo was completely missing a deep gorge in the valley. My paper maps contained the feature but it caused some long detours and a few sketchy moments for everyone in our group. What good is a GPS with Topo's when they are so incorrect.

A best its a waste of money and at worst its a dangerous situation waiting to happen.
They keep adding features but the ones they have already aren't bullet proof. Anyone have these issues?

big44a4

WKR
I had the same issues as far as not being able to track offline and it shutting down. Happened to me multiple times during my hunt. Just for some reason sometimes it glitches like that. I just kept turning my phone off and on until t works. Usually it'd be back up in less than an hour. Extremely frustrating, but I knew the area well enough to get by without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I had this happen this weekend. I just paid the $100 ($79 with discount) to upgrade to 50 states. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or maybe Apples latest upgrade last week. Just a blue dot on blank screen. After about 5 minutes some boundary lines started to load but no SAT view. This was in a populated area with full cell service.

I've had it happen a couple times when I first got it last year. Each time found out that it was because of needing to update the app or phone. Now every time I go out I make sure app and phone is updated as well as new map downloaded. Haven't had a problem since. I think they could do a better job of letting people know they need to do this.

Stories like these are a big reason why guys are still packing dedicated GPS devices. I'm sure there will be a time where I drop the GPS and just use a phone, but right now I never have to question whether my gamin is going to work or not.
Funny thing is I see this on my desktop version too. It usually takes a couple tries to get it to work.
OnX is a great product. But something tells me that they were rushing to get this newest version out before hunting season started up. Pretty sure there are still software bugs in the system.
But I'm sure they'll get it worked out. And they may have all the fixes ready to be rolled out. But I doubt they would want to release an update in the middle of season and risk really screwing up peoples devices...

Onx is unfortuantely just not that great for topo and mapping. I use it for land ownership only and scouting areas on the computer before hand. Check out other apps like GAIA for your topo, tracking, waypoints, routes, etc. Its hands down better than any hand held GPS I have used.

JWP58

WKR
I used it to get into a hard to access sliver of public. It worked, but during the pack out in the dark it began to show I was walking in the opposite direction I actually was. Luckily I never leave home without the garmin, because it showed I was following my original track. After a few minutes it began showing the correct direction again.

It coudve been my phone, could've been the app. All I know is I'll be buying the chip for my gps before next year. Plus my phone (Samsung s8) battery (even in airplane and battery saver mode) doesn't last as long as my gps.

ahlgringo

WKR
Onx is unfortuantely just not that great for topo and mapping. I use it for land ownership only and scouting areas on the computer before hand. Check out other apps like GAIA for your topo, tracking, waypoints, routes, etc. Its hands down better than any hand held GPS I have used.

This

I have had Onx do the same thing- the one thing that at least in my case helped/solved the issue of "floating dot" was to make sure my phone was in airplane mode (using offline downloaded maps). Each time this has happened was when I was also on cell mode.

No issues with GAIA.....it always has worked thru numerous phone and iPad operating system upgrades ad as well as a new iPhone. Wonder why ONX has issues?

4ester

WKR
I’ve had some issues as well. Seems like it has a hard time with your location (but my other mapping app found me right away). The offline maps take forever to download, even fail to download at times even on WiFi.

I never rely on an electronic device when in the woods, esp if in dangerous terrain. That's when I pull the map and compass out. I even mark my spots I "mark" on electronics on my maps. I have not experienced this issue being discussed but will watch for it.

I have never had luck with an Iphone or the Samsung version. They never seem to work right for long. I know the screens are bigger which makes viewing easier but, a fragile, temperamental piece of equipment like a cell phone loses out severely to a REAL GPS. God Bless

wapitibob

WKR
Both the iPhone and android versions have worked flawlessly for me this year. The only time I had the "no map issue" was in fog and the phone picked up my location in about 10 minutes. Maps download and compile in a cpl minutes on either unit. My iPhone is deathly show if using cell data so for hunting I use an android phone that can't connnect to a data provider; wifi only. I've also found on the iPhone that it works best to close the app then set airplane mode, then restart the app.
I looked at Gaia today, only because they have import/export and track creation capabilities. OnX better get some coders or people will be switching.

Last edited:

HookUp

WKR
Your issue could have easily been your phone or software. I'm of the camp that one should pack primary and secondary means for navigation.

Beendare

WKR
I was skeptical of these phone programs...questioning it on this forum a little over a year ago.

Since i took the plunge to GAIA, flawless on 8 trips from alaska to montana to the west coast in multiple areas with no cell service.

I had problems with the Onx maps on my Garmin...no way I was using it on my phone.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using Gaiagps for a little over three years now- this includes three Bob Marshall Open (multi-day adventure races) where navigation off trail and completely snow covered trails is extremely important and dozens and dozens of mountain backpacking trips, long trail runs, snowshoeing and backcountry skiing trips- never a single issue, ever

Easily the best $20 I've ever spent period.

My iphone6 will last 4 days in airplane mode with frequent photo taking and gps/map checking (I also carry a flashlight/charger just in case)

The problem I noticed with OnX (on Android at least) is that the offline mode kept disabling itself, especially without being in airplane mode. When this happens make sure to hit the offline mode button again.

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider

Yup.

The topo map is less than worthless. The lack of detail is stunning for what you pay for. The compass is still confused. The property overlay is good but that's it.

Gobbler36

WKR
Stories like these are a big reason why guys are still packing dedicated GPS devices. I'm sure there will be a time where I drop the GPS and just use a phone, but right now I never have to question whether my gamin is going to work or not.
Funny thing is I see this on my desktop version too. It usually takes a couple tries to get it to work.
OnX is a great product. But something tells me that they were rushing to get this newest version out before hunting season started up. Pretty sure there are still software bugs in the system.
But I'm sure they'll get it worked out. And they may have all the fixes ready to be rolled out. But I doubt they would want to release an update in the middle of season and risk really screwing up peoples devices...
2nd this man, I bring my phone because if it works the sat view is nice to see some vegetation features but if heading back to camp in the dark the 64st is always coming out

dotman

WKR
I'm going to get Gaia, for $30 I'll compare it to onxmaps on my late deer hunt. But after playing around with Gaia for the last hour I'm thinking it'll get the nod.

I also have Earthmate with my Inreach as a backup.