Yeti Hopper2 30 as carry on.

cuzmort

FNG
I've used the hopper as a carry on for the last few years and it has worked great. It's actually carried meat/fish all over the U.S. for me, plus Mexico and Canada and I've had no issues with it leaking. i did have to send one back to yeti for a broken zipper and they replaced it with a brand new one (2.0) and paid for the shipping. Highly recommended!

amp713

WKR
You aren't packing the meat in as a carry on are You? I didn't think you could do that

goodorbit

Lil-Rokslider
Hi have any of you guy's used the Hopper 2 30 when flying as a carry on.

Yes, packed it with 45# of elk meat and could not have been happier about how it preformed. Still frozen solid 12 Hrs later.
The meat must be frozen solid when going through the TSA, they wanted to swab the interior, but surprised at how well it went.

GotDraw?

WKR
I brought back close to 50# of hard-frozen moose meat from Canada in a cheap Costco insulated canvas freezer bag as a carry on. Also brought another 50# hard frozen in a similar bag as checked baggage. The meat was just starting to thaw after 17 hours of travel. Didn't need a fancy Yeti.

TSA only asked what was in the package, they did not care that it was meat.

JL

Are you having any ice / dry ice / freezer blocks in the cooler as well or just frozen meat?

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
Are you having any ice / dry ice / freezer blocks in the cooler as well or just frozen meat?

No ice at all. I just read over the SouthWest Airlines rules on meat transport and there's no requirement for meat to be frozen. I'm not worried about meat spoilage. Meat will be cooled with ice beforehand and then packed in compactor bags inside a regular plastic ice chest. Flight is direct with no change-over and less than 3hrs long.

"Seafood and Other Perishable Items

Packing Rules

Seafood (including fresh seafood, shrimp, fish of all kinds, live lobsters, live crabs, and live crawfish), meat, fowl, game, and other perishable foods must be suitably packed in leak-proof containers. Styrofoam® or other plastic foam containers are not acceptable for frozen food or other items that may leak during transit.

Items must be wrapped in heavy plastic, and bags must be securely sealed to prevent leakage (except when used for live seafood shipments where air flow is required).
Styrofoam® (or other plastic foam) inserts should be used between the plastic bag and the inner wall of the carton.
If the items require refrigeration, they should be packed with a self-contained refrigerant.
These items are subject to inspection by a Southwest Airlines Employee and will be subject to limited release. (Southwest assumes no liability for damage sustained during transport.)

Refrigerants: Shipments packed in wet ice will not be accepted unless the ice is contained in sealed polyethylene bags (Ziploc® bags). Frozen gels or dry ice/carbon dioxide are the preferred refrigerants. Dry ice/carbon dioxide may be used as a refrigerant for perishables under the following limitations:

Dry ice/carbon dioxide may not weigh more than 5.5 pounds in checked or carryon baggage.
The package must be designed to permit the release of carbon dioxide gas to prevent buildup of pressure.
The outside of the container must be marked "dry ice" or "carbon dioxide solid." The net weight of the dry ice and the contents of the package must also be shown. A Southwest Airlines Dry Ice Label (WN-659) may be used to meet these marking requirements."

KJH

WKR
I was at an airport where they would not let anyone fly with any type of meat for a carry on. A guy argued with them and it didn't get him anywhere. After that point, I'd be scared to try it.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Hi have any of you guy's used the Hopper 2 30 when flying as a carry on.
Just flew back from Wyoming with 120 pounds of frozen antelope meat. We butchered and froze it ourselves, put it into yeti knockoff coolers and checked them with no problems. Next year we are bringing two of our yeti hopper 40's since they only weigh 6 pounds empty. This way we can use them as checked bags or carry on's with no problems and be under our weight limit. My hunting partner works for the airlines and there are no problems doing it this way. The hopper 30 makes the size requirements for a carry on and is not limited by weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mvmnts

WKR
I carry on meat all the time with zero problems. I have a RTIC 40 soft cooler now and I checked that on my last flight. All meat frozen solid, no ice. Zero problems, meat was rock hard when I landed.