Seen in Durango

I was almost there in September. I went into the Weminuche Wilderness Mule Deer hunting for 6 days. My dad dropped me off at the trail head on Sunday morning and I told him if I’m not out by Saturday there’s a problem. He told me he’d be at the spot we camped at Saturday night (about 5 miles down mountain from the trail head). I hiked out (10 miles) on Friday. At the trail head I stashed my pack and gear, and jogged the 5 miles to camp. When I got there, someone else was camped there. There was not much cell signal anywhere in the mountains. Without water or gear and not wanting to go back the 5 miles, I decided to head to town (another 15 miles) to get signal. I started walking/ running my way down, and after a while a truck came along and I hitch hiked my way to town. I had the nice old timer drop me off at a bar. Dirty and 8 days without a shower I went in to the bar with no money or ID and explained my situation. The nice bar tender girl let me run a tab. Even though I had signal, my dad was still on the mountain and didn’t have any. It was getting dark and I was starting to brainstorm my options by the time my dad went through some signal and got my text message. All part of the adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Poser

WKR
^ seems like you could just start selling your hunting gear off your back. "Psst. Hey man. Wanna buy a Kuiu shirt? Five bucks."

Lawnboi

WKR
The most technically advanced pan handling shirt available, made with grunge guard and super yarn it resists stink and stretch when warn for months at a time. Specifically cut for holding a cardboard sign

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Could be that the goal of high end hunting gear brands is to break the bank of the average hunter, leaving hunting opportunities exclusively to the wealthy. It's a conspiracy.

boom

WKR
i have damn near perfected the move where i can come to a stop at a light and have the B-pillar block eye contact with any panhandler.

as far as the shirt..whatever. last winter i handed out all my unworn Gortex. there are a few guys around my wife's office wearing killer gear. i'll never give them money, but i'm not one to deny someone warmth.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I did an overnight bike trip this weekend starting from Coal Bank Pass and combining a few trails around Engineer Mtn. I came out at Cascade Canyon, stashed my bike in the woods and proceeded to thumb it back up to Coal Bank Pass. This is standard fare during the summer months and ski season but the parking areas were all completely empty today. After a half a dozen Subarus snubbed me before a truck picked me up. As I was putting my helmet and camelback in his back seat, I noticed a meat grinder. The answer why picked me up vs. half a dozen cars who passed me up? You guessed it.

The most technically advanced pan handling shirt available, made with grunge guard and super yarn it resists stink and stretch when warn for months at a time. Specifically cut for holding a cardboard sign

Bwahahahaha...you win! ROTF

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Here's a funny one. Over the last couple of weeks, I've been steadily knocking off the popular Alpine trails around engineer Mtn on my fatbike while the snow is still at moderate levels. It's standard fare for Mtn bikers to do these decents and then hitchhike back up 550 during the summer months. It's also standard fare for skiers to do the same in the winter. Since I've been doing this during the "shoulder" season, I conclude that it must be cyclists picking up other cyclists and skiers picking up other skiers. If you are out there trying to thumb Cascade Canyon back up to Coal Bank it Molas Pass this time of year, it's not so easy to get a ride. My first couple of trips out, it was fairly cold so I had a jacket on. Full disclosure, I had a Kuiu jacket on, but I also made it a point to have my helmet in my hand so it's obvious im looking for a shuttle up the Mtn and not trying to thumb a ride to, say, grand Junction. First couple of times, it took me about 10 min to get a ride, but each time it was a hunter who stopped and picked me up while numerous Subarus and Dodge Sprinters blew past me. Yesterday was warm so I was out there in a t shirt. 30 minutes and 15+ cars go by. Another 10 minutes go by. I decide I'll give it another 15 minutes then I'm giving up and pedal 2,500 vertical feet back up to my truck. As an experiment, I put my jacket on. Next truck that comes by stops and gives me a ride. It was an off duty San Juan country sheriff's deputy with a floorboard full of loose ammo and pistol and rifle mags.