CWD possible for humans to contract

Beendare

WKR
Not good news...as the previous accepted theory is humans cannot contract the disease by eating infected meat...this may not be true
A Canadian study with Macaques monkeys has them contracting the disease by eating the meat and other contact- see links

CDC link;
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) | Prion Diseases | CDC

Article;
Macaque study heightens concerns about human susceptibility to CWD

link to CWD identified zones
USGS National Wildlife Health Center - Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)

The Sustainable Agriculture and Wildlife Corp, LLC has a home test for sale...but beware; it isn't currently recognized as acceptable science.
The Bio Rad test is the only one I know of that is recognized as the real deal.

Heres the SAW corp link;
SAWCorp: Self-Collected Chronic Wasting Disease Testing for Deer & Elk

Relevant info? Post it up....

EDIT; another link with a short outline of the study, and good links within this link to the study abstract.

https://www.bds.org.uk/index.php/documents/163-cwd-update/file

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
If I contract CWD, I'm filing a civil suit against the entire deer farming industry and bringing them down with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
^^^ I like his plan....

There were already lots of concerns that it would happen

CWD is what happened to Antifa movement.
They all ate venison as young kids and were socially, mentally, physically and emotionally altered.

Seriously, I hope there is $$$ spent on getting to the truth and not just speculating as far as humans go.
I have family in Wisc, that eat tons of venison, where CWD was strong, super strong a few years back.

It was so bad in So Wisc, you were given a tag, kill deer, go to DNR check point, register deer, get another tag.... some of my friends at that time, were killing up to 4- deer this way.
The DNR was seriously trying to remove any and all infected deer.
Heck when I was a teen living there and hunting, to get a Doe Tag, was years of putting and I only drew 1 in like 6 years.

I sure hope they aren't hiding stuff, cover up, withholding info we need.

BuzzH

WKR
Its highly unlikely that humans can get CWD from eating meat from an infected animal.

From the article, its estimated that people consume between 7-15k CWD positive animals per year. If it made the jump, there would be a bunch of cases of it. That isn't happening.

While continued study is always a good thing, I just don't see the reason to hit the panic button.

Poser

WKR
Since the origins of CWD are not known, and it is not really known how it spreads I doubt your suit would be successful......but this is America, you can always try.

To my knowledge, CWD in North America did not exist before the advent of deer farming and high fencing in the 1960s. In fact, I seem to recall that it's origins have been pinned down to a deer farm in Missouri. I may be wrong about that, however.

To my knowledge, CWD in North America did not exist before the advent of deer farming and high fencing in the 1960s. In fact, I seem to recall that it's origins have been pinned down to a deer farm in Missouri. I may be wrong about that, however.

Perhaps, this is where I have googled some info. Chronic Wasting Disease FAQ | CWD Alliance
There are quite a few other sites that seem to back their info up.

Very wrong CWD was first formally observed in CO after scientists fenced in some deer to observe.

TheTone

WKR
Very wrong CWD was first formally observed in CO after scientists fenced in some deer to observe.

That said the deer farming industry has been rife with CWD for years and seems to pretty much turns a blind eye to it. They seek to avoid regulation at every turn, move deer constantly between facilities and states, have more escapes than they want to admit and absolutely pose a threat to wild populations. The whole industry stinks.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
More info.

After researching the researcher Stefanie club, there is a PDF download on their site of the 6 yr study,
Transmission of CWD to non-human primates: Interim results of a 6 year risk assessment study on the transmissibility to humans

Everything you wanted to know about Prions....an 8 hour vid...yes, 8 hours [and its only day 3]..... no I haven't watched it. Probably above my pay grade anyway.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vtt1kAVDhDQ[/video]

I was hoping someone else would....and fill me in on the highlights- grin

Gobbler36

WKR
Steven Rinellas podcast about CWD was great albeit grim and sort of mundane but packed a ton of info. I would encourage you guys to go check it out. I believe it's episode 70

Gobbler36

WKR
Lets hope you are right.

This study started in 09....and it appears it took 6 years + for the disease to take hold.

Yes but I feel that, that just proves his point if it's been around since the 60's or even longer with everyone eating that much venison every year. The guy in Rinellas podcast bassically says that even though there is always a chance it is very very very very very small

oldgoat

WKR
I believe women are more susceptible to CWD, than men. Why, just look at how many of 'em show symptoms of Mad Cow Disease.......A very similar kinda deal.

I get it, it's a joke, and funny;-) but women are actually less likely to get it in reality and likely where you might get an immunity to it according to an article I read on the Mad Core Disease years ago. I've only known of two people in the US catching the human variant since I found out it exists. And one of those was second hand, the other guy, I knew his sister and attended a fundraiser for him. I just don't cut bones or eat the brain etc.

jmez

WKR
The Canadian "Study" means nothing until it is complete and the full results are published in a peer reviewed journal. Neither has been done. Nowhere in any of your links, nor anywhere else I looked can I find how much of the actual prions were fed to the monkeys. That is going to be the key to the entire study. They tell you how much meat they fed them, what they continue to leave out is the prion load of the meat.

Some of these studies will use amounts that are exponential to what one could be exposed to eating 10 lifetimes of venison. If that is the case then the study means nothing. If they fed what would be a normal amount found in muscle tissue, or if they simply fed muscle tissue from known infected animals that would be significant. I'll promise you, when the study comes out, they did neither of those.

cnelk

WKR
I live less than a mile from the CSU deer/elk testing pens.
Its strange how you never hear much when a deer or elk escape from the pens and dash off into the foothills

Back about 15 yrs ago, the massive MD killing spree took place along the Front Range.
Thousands of deer were shot by the DOW [now CPW] in an attempt to curb the so-called CWD.
Strange how that didnt work.
[The deer herd is still trying to recover from that debacle]

CWD Testing at that time was funded by Federal grants, when the $$$ ran out, so did the testing and discussion.
Strange how the testing & discussions arise only when there is a fund to spend.

Strange now, that the CDW discussion has re-surfaced, Im sure the grant $$$ has too.

The only correlation with CWD is $$$ and CWD.

Since the 80's, Im sure Ive eaten deer/elk that have CWD prions, and I know many others have too, when testing wasnt mandatory.
But thats not going to stop me - and others - from hunting/eating deer/elk/moose

Strange how many of the 'new faces' in the outdoor world think this is something new... it's not.
Its another platform for podcasts on online discussions - like this one.

I live less than a mile from the CSU deer/elk testing pens.
Its strange how you never hear much when a deer or elk escape from the pens and dash off into the foothills

Back about 15 yrs ago, the massive MD killing spree took place along the Front Range.
Thousands of deer were shot by the DOW [now CPW] in an attempt to curb the so-called CWD.
Strange how that didnt work.
[The deer herd is still trying to recover from that debacle]

CWD Testing at that time was funded by Federal grants, when the $$$ ran out, so did the testing and discussion.
Strange how the testing & discussions arise only when there is a fund to spend.

Strange now, that the CDW discussion has re-surfaced, Im sure the grant $$$ has too.

The only correlation with CWD is $$$ and CWD.

Since the 80's, Im sure Ive eaten deer/elk that have CWD prions, and I know many others have too, when testing wasnt mandatory.
But thats not going to stop me - and others - from hunting/eating deer/elk/moose

Strange how many of the 'new faces' in the outdoor world think this is something new... it's not.
Its another platform for podcasts on online discussions - like this one.

Completely agree! And the whole deer farm correlation to CWD is lacking. If it were , Texas would be infested with CWD and it virtually non existent. I️ don’t want to sound pro farm (quite the opposite) but suggesting this is a farm issue is patently false. We are missing something. Meat Eater had a pod cast on this topic and it was very informative. Many hard core hunters are just as much to blame not knowingly so.... Processing a deer , dumping its guts/bones not knowing CWD is present is likely the 1 reason it spreads and pops out out of the blue.

Picture this. One kills a deer on a county, drives home to another county, dumps the remains and Wahla!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro