Classified etiquette - what's the right thing to do

So what's the right thing to do.

Someone PM's you and makes an offer. You counter the offer. A couple hours go by and another person PM's you and says I will take the item - does not ask for a discount. You reply and say ok and post SPF. First person PM's you a awhile later and say's I will take the item. Have not heard back from the second full price offer person but it's only been 3 hours on a Sunday. What would you do?.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I would go ahead and sell to the guy who says he will take them, with the negotiated price. Not because of some higher than though ethics, but if i am selling something, I want it gone, and if someone is there saying they will take them, then "do the deal" to get the product moving. You may never hear from the 2nd guy again, who knows

jmez

WKR
First one that says they'll take it and transfers the money. I don't wait on responses back if someone wants it and is ready to pay. I don't expect guys to sit around on a computer waiting on a repsonse. In the past I've sat on things a week or more because the first I'll take it takes that long to contact you back. As above, If it's for sale I want it gone. First one with the money gets it.

Ucsdryder

WKR
First person to say I’ll take it wins. If you received an I’ll take it from the guy that you countered with then it would be his even though the other guy offered full price. Since the other guy said I’ll take it first though, it’s pretty simple. If you would have accepted the guys discounted offer then it would have been his. Since you countered you didn’t have an agreement yet. I would respond to discount guy “someone else beat you to it with an “I’ll take it”. If it falls through it’s yours. I’ll let you know.”

Money talks.

As others have said, people say I’ll take it and flake all the time. First person to pay walks away with the item, I usually put that in my ad too. For every thread complaining of someone moving on while they were negotiating there’s three of guys complaining about people agreeing and then disappearing. I’m selling to get rid of something and make a little cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the first to pay , id pm the other that its sold so you dont have to refund money if you had already given your paypal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sale goes to the guy 1st to commit to agreed price followed by payment. Lowballers lose.

If you have a set price and someone offers you a lower price and then includes the words "i'll take it" that doesn't qualify for first in line.
that is nothing more than a negotiation. Period.
You cant claim, "Ill take it when you also offered a lower than advertised price.

If you are in negotiations on price and not accepting a lower offer you aren't obligated to that person as no agreement has been made.

Sell it to the first one offering to actually buy it for your listed price- this is your only obligation.
Anything else is nothing more than negotiating, it's not "buying"

BUT
If you make the first guy a counter offer, yet get another better offer before his return email comes, you now have 2 choices.
1. sell it to higher offer as it is the first to come to the table with an offer you both agree on
2. inform first guy that your counter offer is no longer valid as you received a different offer at full price and ask him if he is willing to match that original set price.

If he doesn't respond, he loses out.
No Harm no foul- you were in negotiations not escow....

Yet out of courtesy you could've informed him of what was going on, in his absence of returned emails, and give him a chance to get involved at asking price.
His lack of response is his answer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I countered an offer and am waiting to hear back.......they're first in line. The full price guy can wait, and is second in line. However, you could also send another PM to the first guy informing them that you now have a full price offer and see if they still want it at full price since he hasn't responded or accepted your counter offer yet.

dotman

WKR
Yup first guy to commit gets it, risk of low balling is another comes in and offers a better deal.

Trial153

WKR
I try to close the loop with the original person that I was conversing with if it was possible. I am not hard up to sell anything so taking a few minutes extra is to be polite doesn't hurt anything.

Murdy

WKR
Until you have a firm deal, you are free to sell it to whomever you wish. Just communicate promptly with everyone -- tell the first guy that the item has been sold.