Odd thing happened to me....

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
even though it's most likely dehydration like other mentioned, I will throw something out there no one has mentioned.... blood sugar

Have you had trouble with high or low blood sugar levels before? I had a similar experience one time at work when mine got extremely low once

OP
mfllood3800
Bruce- I will check into "Nuun" I appreciate it. I'm always looking for more "gear" to try out
;)

OP
mfllood3800
TugRiver

I have not
No one in my family has that I know of either.

But I will get shaky if I don't eat, especially proteins.

I do consume tons of unhealthy sweets.
But I am always on the go, my days are long.

I really believe it was dehydration
But I haven't had a check up since high school days, other than routine doctor stuff when you go for Rx's, blood pressure, weigh in, etc.. So it is on my to do list.

OP
mfllood3800
I will add I am not a huge coffee drinker. I will try to drink a cup every morning, sometimes I only 2/3 of it down.
I rarely if ever drink sodas.
I drink close to a gallon or even more of water a day.
It is 98% of the fluid intake I drink.

I really lost a ton of sweat that day. So many articles of clothing were totally soaked and twice their normal weight.
I had not eaten anything of good substance, and no water for close to 5 hrs after hiking at least 7 miles, with a bit of elev changes.

But I was scared enough to agree to get a check up.
I remember sitting down well into my confused state of mind, asking myself, "what the heck is going on"
I forced myself to sit under a tree, takes some slower breaths, and try to examine the GPS with more effectiveness.
I was actually a bit nervous I wasn't going to be able to choose a right direction, yet I knew I had strength to just get up and go.

It is a weird, very weird thing, to not have mental ability to focus but still have enough physical strength to just say the heck with this, I am gonna walk to I get some where.

I bet many end up in a bad place when this happens, cause their physical strength, in auto mode, gets them into even deeper trouble, all the while their mental abilities just deteriorate to the point they are worthless.

I feel that little break helped just enough to get me going correctly, and soon after is when I called my wife.

Here is what I know. Which isn't much but, it was first hand experience.

We hunt a wilderness area in WV from a car camp. It is huge and we really put on a lot of miles everyday. Last year a buddy of ours was having some stomach issues due to a food borne illness from keeping meat in a cooler for 10 days before cooking it. He became ill and started puking Wednesday night. All night long he went out in the elements and did his thing. From both ends. It was colder. Low teens and single digits. By morning time he was dillusion, low heart rate, and not in his right mind. We rushed him to the ER an hour away. It was bad. I thought he was going to die. He couldn't complete sentences, was very confused, drunk acting. He was just out of his head.

When they wheeled him in and got him hoked up, his heart rate was in the 30's.his core temp was 93, he was EXTREMELY dehydrated, and his blood sugar was alost 400.

We were shocked. This guy had never told us he was a diabetic. He ad always eaten well, taken pretty decent care of himself, didn't drink or eat junk food. It turns out he was a type 1 and had kept it from us all our lives. We simply did not know to watch him. what the docs later told us was the sickness had caused him to get hypothermic going out in the cold all night long taking care of business. That the fluids he had lost had caused the dehydration. And, the dehydration had severely raised his blood sugar.

I'm not saying you are a diabetic. But, I am saying you need to get it checked. It requires special care when exerted.

We have all done things like this in the past. But, you aren't as young as you were. And doing things like this requires proper nutrition and prep as you age. Throw in a blood sugar problem and you got the makings for likewise experiences in your future if you don't prepare accordingly.

God Bless

OP
mfllood3800
WV
yep I plan on a visit to the Dr pretty quick.
Though I am believing it was a dehydration issue, It will make the wife more comfortable knowing I am not dealing with other issues.
And it will help Northernpiker pull the trigger on coming out to bow hunt Utah style.
Right now you guys got him all scared he will have to haul my butt out, but in reality, I am wondering if I will have to haul his out
lol

Jake
haha

When I hit the ZG button on my In reach, you will get my coordinates promptly.

But in case it doesn't transpond quick enough,:

Beaver County

I am in hidden valley, by lost lake at the head of no name creek.
:)
Haha, I love those inreache's. I am willing up in Northern Utah on the Nevada Idaho border so I don't think I will be coming to find you unless you really get lost and they need help. Good luck with your hunt.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Bonked I did for sure............

I added some of those "Nuun" tablets to my Amazon cart.
I like the idea of having those in an emergency
How ever if had put on my pack like I should've, I would've had over 2 liters of water, a filter system to get more, and 4 cliff bars
It was just a bad decision followed by another.

4rcgoat

WKR
Truly hope you get a clean bill of help from the doc, but glad you posted this problem, could help a lot of people like myself to keep in mind how quickly things can happen on the mountain. Good luck on the rest of your season.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You weren't on any medication were you? Lots of medications exasperate dehydration.

Another thing.......I get reactive hypoglycemia sometimes after eating and then exertion. I could never figure out why at home I'd eat breakfast and then go out and mow the lawn and come in shaking, sweating, dizzy, tunnel vision, and teeth chattering. Finally borrowed a blood test kit and tested my blood sugar during one of these events........low 50's. But wondered why it never happens up hunting. Well, I never eat breakfast when I'm up hunting so it's not an issue. Just have my coffee and go.

Had to research it, but that reactive hypoglycemia popped up and explains it. The blood sugar spikes and then tanks, and exertion and sugary foods makes that worse. Just seems odd that I'm better off not eating at all in the mornings. Afternoons it doesn't affect me, so lunch and hunting afterwards is fine.

Last year I left camp after coffee and shot my bull around 0730. Broke him down and hauled the head/rack/cape to the truck and back to camp. Had a quick coffee and back up to haul meat. By the time I got back to camp that night I wasn't hungry.....right to bed. Next morning broke down camp, had my coffee, and didn't eat anything until 1pm that day when I stopped for lunch. So ~40 hours without any food and I was fine........but I stayed well hydrated the entire time.

OP
mfllood3800
Thx 4rcgoat

I am sure I am not the only one as you eluded to.
I have never had anything remotely close to this happen to me.

OP
mfllood3800
5MB
yes I am medicated for chronic back
my issues are inoperable, and pain management is what they said I have to do
they also said don't lift heavy objects or do anything to inflamate the situation

So here I am back pack hunting, hauling elk quarters etc....
My Dr is a hunter so he gets it.

My breakfast on any day, incl hunting season, is a protein bar, maybe a cookie, or cliff bar. Not all of those together but one of them.
I am not a morning eater, just enough to take my meds.

There were times I was outside doing what ever in the shop, and had to come in as I was shaky. I'd eat a piece of ham, or left over meat and be fine shortly after. If we had no meat instantly available, I'd eat anything and usually be ok as well.

It has been sunny and cool/cold here for the past week.
My face is and has been red from exposure.
I really believe I was dehydrated more than ever before, but because it was so cool out, I didn't recognize what was going on.
I remember spitting twice as I was salivating a lot. My body was trying to tell me but my brain couldn't process it, as I was focused on staying with the elk.

OP
mfllood3800
Well today was last day of hunting for me. I have to fly back to Wisc for 3 days.
None of the cows came out where I was set up, and I have to bug out so I didn't get a chance to find them.
Sure wish I had the last 3 days to get this done. But now that cow can produce new elk for next year or year after so it is all good.
And I have been blessed with 1 Bull, 2 Bucks, and still have an AZ archery deer tag in my wallet for Dec.

The wife said we don't need any more meat.
I am contemplating a response to that right now.
We always need meat.
Next year I may only have the 1 OTC tag.
This was a great year for tags for me for sure.
I lost over 20 lbs since June, from scouting/hunting in the mountains for 4 months.

A lot of miles logged this year - not as close to 100 like last year, but that is cause I tagged out early each hunt.
before my dad passed he said, "do it while your body can, soon it wont, even though your mind can, and it will drive you nuts"

OP
mfllood3800
No its not
But it still isn't good.....
Loratab

I'm hoping technology advances and my insurance covers a new lower back option

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No its not
But it still isn't good.....
Loratab

Lortab........also acts as a diuretic, which dehydrates you even more rapidly. And acetaminophen is poison to the liver. Extreme dehydration combined with that causes all kinds of problems. It also affects the heart with strenuous activity. Not a good combo at all.

I completely lost the hearing in my right ear in 2010 while taking Tramadol and getting overly dehydrated. After research, there are many cases of that happening. The hearing eventually came back, but the doctor was amazed as he gave me a zero % chance of getting it back. Funny thing was........I was taking the Tramadol because I got tired of taking the Opioids..........for the same thing, except mine is neck and upper back. Now I don't take anything, and just suck it up.

I am ER nurse. If You would have walked into my ER with those complaints firat thing I would have checked is your blood sugar, then other vital signs. You dont have to be a diabetic to have your blood sugar drop. There are 3 things your brain needs to survive. Blood (pressure), oxygen and sugar. All 3 can be addressed quickly but can kill you if not fixed quickly. Sounds to me like you got dehydrated and had severe drop in blood pressure or blood sugar.

OP
mfllood3800
5mb

I'd I could suck it up I would
I have Been flying all day and my entire back is on fire

Don't know how you do it

I have a friend who has upper back and neck issues
I think you guys with upper problems have it worst than us with lower

I gotta find another way I hate these things, but I can function on them
I don't like drugs
Or their addictive nature

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk