Odd thing happened to me....

I was hunting (Cow Elk Muzzle Loader) this last week.
I was on a herd of 8 and trying to cut them off, but they got around me. I drove my vehicle up a little ways to cut them off. I
jumped out with just my Muzzle Loader and bino harness on. They went above me, I heard them mewing, so I approached slowly. Got close enough to smell them, hear them and get eyes on all of their tracks. They continued to allude me as the wind would shift and they'd get a scent and move quicker. But their tracks were easy to follow, and I did. At this point I am about a mile from the truck. Any way I ended up over 5 miles from the vehicle. I did waypoint the vehicle as I left, just in case, plus I had onyx on my phone, yet forgot to track myself with it.

I got further than I wanted to, but when you are close you don't want to stop. I never realized how far away I was til I got to a place I knew was way further than intended (Power line clear cut) and then all of the sudden got weird ringing in my ear, kind of dizzy, and confused.

I live at 6000', normally hunt at 10,500-11,000'. I spend all summer on the mountain and have never gotten altitude sickness, even up to 12,000 where we snowmobile. My current altitude was only 7100.

Well I decided to let them go, knowing I was a ways from the truck, no water, no pack and made some poor decisions.
I looked at my onyx map and started to head in the direction I thought the truck was at. My sense of bearings is pretty accurate and incredible. I have come out of my anticipated area off course before but never more than a hundred yards or so depending on deep in I went, my directional sense is always on pretty good.

I was about a mile into my hike back from the power line clear cut, when I realized the onyx map doesn't utilize you directional heading as up. So I turned my phone and then got totally confused all at once. It was worthless to me for some reason.
I saw a mountain peak I knew, and then looked at the sun, and realized I was clearly heading North, when I should've been heading SW.
I turned and regained that mile and logged another mile when I again realized my truck was to my right and not just in front of me.
My GPS (In reach Delorme) gave me a compass calibration requirement. I am like "what the heck I don't need this right now".
It said my truck was 2.8 miles away to my right, as I thought, so I ignored the recal.
I am thinking it was only about 1.5-2 at the most, but trusted the GPS.

By now I have logged close to 7 miles.
I'm in pretty good shape, hunted elk, deer in the mountains all fall, logged close to 50 miles this year (early tags filled) and last year well over a hundred.
But by now I am exhausted, short of breath, definitely thirsty, confused and dizzy. Temps were low 40's, I wasn't hot, I wasn't cold.
I stayed as close to an irrigation ditch as I could for as long as I could in case I got to the point where I had to have water.

I have never been so disorientated , confused of exhausted before, ever.

I turned tracking on my onyx, so I could tell which way I was actually heading as I no longer trusted my sense of direction. I wasn't trusting anything my mind was telling me as it felt like I was getting mixed signals from it. 2 more times I went in one direction only to reverse it and head back the other way.
I finally got to the main dirt road, but it was one I didn't recognize and now really began to get anxious.

My back is chronic, yet it was no longer hurting, it went numb. My hips were locking up. My GPS said I still had 2 miles to the truck.
I knew I was in trouble.

I called my wife and told her I needed her to come out where my truck was and follow that road.
Eventually she finds me on the road.
She asks what the heck is going on.

I couldn't explain it
My head was filled with ringing, cloudiness and confusion.
At one point I couldn't even make heads or tales of my onyx map info.
the entire rest of the day I was in a haze.

I removed the clothes I had on and the puffy, under chama hoody and the merino base long sleeve were totaly soaked. I mean twice their weight.
I knew I was dehydrated, yet not enough to risk giardia unless it was a better option than dieing.
lol

I feel it was almost dehydration/ altitude sickess?
But earlier that year...
When I killed my bull (8:00 pm) I stayed on the mountain all night (till 11:30) processing it. it was raining and I had on my outer rain coat.
When I got back to the Ranger to drive the 6 miles back to base camp I was shivering like hypothermia set in.
When I took off my coat I realized I was soaked to the bone, not from rain ,but from sweat. I was again at that first time totally soaked from sweat due to the rain slicker and amount of worked it took to break down the bull.
Yet even in that I never felt cloudy or confused.

I never cramped up, but I did have hip pain (which I always due to a chronic back).
My mouth was dry and I had a hard time speaking to her on the phone. Yet I was salivating and trying to retain all my mouth moisture and not spit it out.

I know this is long, and I am not after you should of, shouldn't have. I am not after sympathy or criticism.... I gave as many details as I can not to bore you but fill you in on what happened.
Has this feeling hit any of you before who have had altitude sickness and or dehydration, panic?
I was only at 7100' and I live at 6000 and am always at close to 10,000.

I never felt panic as I could get on top of ridges and see town about 8 miles away. I knew my general area very well, and there were even homes only 3 miles away from where I was.

Anybody get in this situation and experience this?

OP
mfllood3800
Thx for the quick replies guys....

Backpack Hunter
- that's what my wife said.
Yet my heart didn't seem to be an issue as I remember on the hike.
I was fine after that, hunted the next day and hate doctors. lol

Most of them simply prescribe meds, and bill your ins company.................
If there are Dr's on here, I respectfully said, "most" not all. Some are decent and more concerned about the patient than the pharma companies.

KD,
I never had a headache, just cloudiness
Like I was confused with processing information in front of me.

Bruce,
I believe I was extremely out of electros. I knew I was in dehydration trouble, and kept an acute awareness where that ditch of water was.
Yet as I stated when earlier in the hunt season I got totally dehydrated and even close to hypothermia, I never felt unable to utilize the information in my mind and make simple decisions.

I struggled the other day to make a decision and follow thru with it.
2 times I compiled miles heading in a direction, only to turn around and erase them with countered miles.

I am not a doctor and don't expect anyone here to be either, maybe I should go see one.
Just wondering if anyone else experienced similar results from similar experience

OP
mfllood3800
Dotman,
I don't know >??

I didn't recognize anything.
I'm not on meds for blood pressure, though my wife is and I have seen her have panic attacks, and exaggerated heart rates.
I mean very very high heart rates. I see how she is, and I wasn't that, I don't believe.
She even made a comment when we were driving back to my truck, "this is the 2nd time I have had to come recuse you, you are getting too old to hunt alone". To which I heard that, then digested it trying hard to remember that first time, thinking oh bot=y I have a problem here, but I couldn't recall the first time she was referring to, so I said I don't remember a first time, what are talking about. She replied, " I was just checking to make sure you weren't delusional and in your right mind".
Gotta lover, she didn't want to turn me loose until she was satisfied I was ok.
:)

Does what I explained sound like something you have had linked to high HR ?
When she has what we call an event, she just feels it coming on, sits down, gets a cold towel to put on her neck and she is fine. Her mental motor skills seem to work fine.

dotman

WKR
Dotman,
I don't know >??

I didn't recognize anything.
I'm not on meds for blood pressure, though my wife is and I have seen her have panic attacks, and exaggerated heart rates.
I mean very very high heart rates. I see how she is, and I wasn't that, I don't believe.
She even made a comment when we were driving back to my truck, "this is the 2nd time I have had to come recuse you, you are getting too old to hunt alone". To which I heard that, then digested it trying hard to remember that first time, thinking oh bot=y I have a problem here, but I couldn't recall the first time she was referring to, so I said I don't remember a first time, what are talking about. She replied, " I was just checking to make sure you weren't delusional and in your right mind".
Gotta lover, she didn't want to turn me loose until she was satisfied I was ok.
:)

Does what I explained sound like something you have had linked to high HR ?
When she has what we call an event, she just feels it coming on, sits down, gets a cold towel to put on her neck and she is fine. Her mental motor skills seem to work fine.

What you explained with your wife is high blood pressure, with a drop you would have low blood pressure which can mess with you but isn't as unhealthy, I think.

Low Blood Pressure - When Blood Pressure Is Too Low

OP
mfllood3800
hmmm, seems like that article nails a lot of it
Thx for taking the time to look that up

I high lighted what was relevant to my experience:

Symptoms of low blood pressure
Most doctors will only consider chronically low blood pressure as dangerous if it causes noticeable signs and symptoms, such as:
Dizziness or lightheadedness
Nausea
Fainting (syncope)
Dehydration and unusual thirst
Dehydration can sometimes cause blood pressure to drop. However, dehydration does not automatically signal low blood pressure. Fever, vomiting, severe diarrhea, overuse of diuretics and strenuous exercise can all lead to dehydration, a potentially serious condition in which your body loses more water than you take in. Even mild dehydration (a loss of as little as 1 percent to 2 percent of body weight) can cause weakness, dizziness and fatigue.
Lack of concentration
Blurred vision
Cold, clammy, pale skin
Rapid, shallow breathing
Fatigue
Depression

OP
mfllood3800
I have never been so dehydrated that I felt like my BP dropped enough to cause issues.
Maybe I am getting too old to do this solo hunting !!
:(
crap.......

Your symptoms could be caused by any number of things. Another thought is you may be hypoglycemic or pre-diabetes. When your blood sugar drops below 70, or rises above 180 it can cause a a lot of the same things. It can cause ringing, dizziness and confusion, dehydration, excessive urination or salivating, profuse sweating, and exhaustion. As you were exerting yourself so much, I would suspect low blood sugar. It would have taken a while for your body to metabolize fat and replace the low sugar, and as you continued to exert yourself it would have taken longer. But high blood sugar can have almost all the same symptoms.

Heart arrhythmias can cause the same issues. Not enough blood flow to the brain causes confusion, can cause ringing and sweating. Like a mild heart attack when exerting yourself. My brother has some of the same issues and has to carry nitro pills with him during heavy excursion. he gets confused, sweats profusely, and gets very thirsty.

Go to your doctor and get checked, knowing is the first step. The symptoms you describe could be any number of things, could have been as simple as dehydration, or could be something more serious. By knowing you will know what to expect and can prepare for it happening again. I have a chronic illness and never leave the truck without at least a small pack with all my necessary medicines and supplies. I continue to do what I love with just some slight precautions and preparation.

dotman

WKR
Naw just maybe take it a tad slower, I used to get low blood pressure, passed out once while peeing and another time from getting up too fast, both are single life events and haven't happened in years. Just make sure you drink plenty of water and add in a mix like WA hydrate and recover. Also could be a combo so bring a candy bar for low blood sugar.

Oh and get a Garmin Inreach.

Mike7

WKR
I would get checked out. Some possible causes might include: a BP abnormality, mini-stroke, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, migraine without HA, etc. Low blood pressure from dehydration doesn't usually cause significant ear ringing.

OP
mfllood3800
Fish and chips:
Your symptoms could be caused by any number of things. Another thought is you may be hypoglycemic or pre-diabetes.

If I don't eat enough protein I get shaky.
I consume way too much sugar, the wife says I will get diabetes.

When your blood sugar drops below 70, or rises above 180 it can cause a a lot of the same things. It can cause ringing, dizziness and confusion, dehydration, excessive urination or salivating, profuse sweating, and exhaustion. As you were exerting yourself so much, I would suspect low blood sugar. It would have taken a while for your body to metabolize fat and replace the low sugar, and as you continued to exert yourself it would have taken longer. But high blood sugar can have almost all the same symptoms.

I didn't eat a breakfast (maybe a nature valley protein bar) and I was out there over 5 hrs

Heart arrhythmias can cause the same issues. Not enough blood flow to the brain causes confusion, can cause ringing and sweating. Like a mild heart attack when exerting yourself. My brother has some of the same issues and has to carry nitro pills with him during heavy excursion. he gets confused, sweats profusely, and gets very thirsty.

Go to your doctor and get checked, knowing is the first step. The symptoms you describe could be any number of things, could have been as simple as dehydration, or could be something more serious. By knowing you will know what to expect and can prepare for it happening again. I have a chronic illness and never leave the truck without at least a small pack with all my necessary medicines and supplies. I continue to do what I love with just some slight precautions and preparation.

Yep it will have to get on my calendar I guess.
I fly to Wisc in 2 days, and upon returning I will really focus on doing this
Thx

OP
mfllood3800
Mike

I would get checked out. Some possible causes might include: a BP abnormality, mini-stroke, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, migraine without HA, etc. Low blood pressure from dehydration doesn't usually cause significant ear ringing.

I always have an ear ringing, its just that I could recognize it 25 times worst when the wife found me and I got in the car.
Some of the things you wrote I am going to have to google
lol
over my head but dang ...
thank all of you so much for taking time to respond- you're awesome

dotman

WKR

Listen to this guy, he knows way more then anyone else posting in this thread.

OP
mfllood3800
As I look back, I realize I had on a merino base, then a chama, hoody, the a puffy vest and a lite cirrus puffy jacket. that's a lot of insl to hike that far. But I don't remember getting heated enough to think I should layer down. I also had on Merino long johns and Kanabs.
It was in the 30's early and like I said up to low 40's while I was out zig zagging the cedars and pines.

I do have vertigo of some sort. Raced moto cross for years and have a few concussions.
I to this day cannot stand and tilt my head back with my eyes closed and remain vertical.

I know I was extremely dehydrated which could've caused the low HR.
I never knew they went hand in hand.

A lot of it makes more sense.
Odd thing is, by the time I realized I was in trouble, it was too late to properly implement good decisions.
I kept telling myself, I will keep walking and get there.

Then it was I will call Connie (Wife) and keep walking til she gets to me.
Never once did I think to in layer, I sat down one time to see if that would get me thinking right, and it caused me to ask why I wasn't moving to get out the situation I was in. My little sit down lasted around 2 minutes as I checked my GPS and Onyx set up.

I have to renew my Obama care any way, so I will spend part of my $500 a month premium.

OP
mfllood3800
Seems weird saying Garmin Inreach 😜

Yea I got the SE version, but should've waited and got the Garmin.
No maps or anything on my SE, just waypoints, tracking and the Zach Griffin button, as it is now called.
I guess I hit my own version myself in calling the wife.

I kind of feel vulnerable here indulging all this, but I do have some real concerns as to what the heck happened.
I thought I was "that guy" who was super strong mentally with physical endurance like no other.

2 hunts this year taxed me to another bracket I haven't been at prior.
It's Trumps fault