Stupid OnX maps question - Navigating to waypoint

TheCougar

WKR
Okay, I'm embarrassed. I can't figure this out. How do I navigate to a waypoint in OnX? You know, compass, bearing, distance, elevation, etc... It seems like I'm overthinking it. I end up using Gaia to navigate to a point when I need to.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the exact same question and use Gaia to overcome it. I am not sure if you can do it in OnX. They need to make it more intuitive if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I've never tried to navigate using the app, now I'll get to a waypoint just by using my tracks and walking, if that makes sense. I don't think I ever used the navigate to feature on my gps either actually. I just head that way and check the map every so often to see how close I am. I will say after getting Gaia, I'm liking it better.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I have the exact same question and use Gaia to overcome it. I am not sure if you can do it in OnX. They need to make it more intuitive if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, that's seriously GPS 101. How can the app NOT have that functionality?!?

wapitibob

WKR
I just tap the location icon so it shows my direction and keep it pointed to the waypoint. That's the only way I know of.

The best solution is to bring up your waypoint, and activate your tracking feature so you can see where you heading. Then you just head to the waypoint- basic, simple, unless you get dehydrated and dizzy and cant process information
lol

Don't ask.....

The best solution is to bring up your waypoint, and activate your tracking feature so you can see where you heading. Then you just head to the waypoint- basic, simple, unless you get dehydrated and dizzy and cant process information
lol

Don't ask.....
Here is what they told me
Ridiculous
There is not a specific "go-to" feature at this time.
However, you can do this manually.
First, go into the Map Tools menu and select the Draw Line tool.
Then draw a line between your location and the waypoint you want to navigate to.
This will give you the distance between your location and the waypoint.
Then press on the circle with the crosshairs icon in the bottom right hand corner once to bring the map to your location North Up.
Press it again and it will turn the icon into an arrow, direction up, meaning whatever direction you are facing will be the direction the app is facing.
Then you can follow the line you have drawn to that waypoint. We are looking into adding this feature in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
We are currently working on building a "Go-to" feature that will be much better than a standard GPS "Go-to". We will be releasing that in the near future. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for asking TheCougar. I thought it was ridiculous that I couldn't figure it out and I felt like a fool. Now that I see that there isn't a "Go To" feature now I don't feel so bad. "Go To" should be one of the most basic functions.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Agreed. I’m glad it wasn’t just me! It sounds like they are going to add the functionality. Now if we can figure out how to fix the map download functionality to be easier and more useful (I’m in the middle of downloading map #22 for my hunt area), we will be in business!

dotman

WKR
Yeah it would be great if it actually showed 100% of private land, in KS only about 75% shows up.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah it would be great if it actually showed 100% of private land, in KS only about 75% shows up.

Unfortunately, that is an issue with the counties not having their records in a digitized format for us to work with. We update our maps on a yearly basis and prompt counties not currently covered if they have updated their records so we can include them

dotman

WKR
Unfortunately, that is an issue with the counties not having their records in a digitized format for us to work with. We update our maps on a yearly basis and prompt counties not currently covered if they have updated their records so we can include them

Then why did it show up prior to the last update and why is it on Gaia? I hope I didn't come off as rude but the private data reduced with the last update.

Quick example, goto coordinates:

N 39.996907
W -101.063874

In my Onx app I only see a satellite image with no ownership lines or name.

But when I go there in the Gaia app I see the owner is Randall Timm.

Last edited:

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Then why did it show up prior to the last update and why is it on Gaia? I hope I didn't come off as rude but the private data reduced with the last update.

Quick example, goto coordinates:

N 39.996907
W -101.063874

In my Onx app I only see a satellite image with no ownership lines or name.

But when I go there in the Gaia app I see the owner is Randall Timm.

You're not coming off as rude, we want to make sure everything is working properly for you.
Information wouldn't have been reduced with the new update as the underlying data is the same.
I do see that those coordinates are in a county that is not currently covered. I'll check in with this with our mapping team to look into. Thanks

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your patience everyone. We're excited to say that your requests have been answered and the "Go-To" feature is now available on both the iPhone and Android devices! Just make sure you have the most up to date version of the app!
Here is an overview of that feature and let us know if you have any questions Go-To Waypoint Feature – onX

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your patience everyone. We're excited to say that your requests have been answered and the "Go-To" feature is now available on both the iPhone and Android devices! Just make sure you have the most up to date version of the app!
Here is an overview of that feature and let us know if you have any questions Go-To Waypoint Feature – onX

Awesome. I will test it out this weekend.

GotDraw?

WKR
Does your GoTo feature only provide a visual line to follow?

Or, does is provide an actual compass bearing in degrees? (I did not see a compass bearing description in your link)

If your GoTo feature does not provide a compass bearing, then users have to keep the device on and drain batteries to use it. Suggest you add text to list the actual bearing in degrees.

tracker12

WKR
Still don't see a navigation on my app. What is the latest version. I am an elite member.