BHA Lifetime membership... help me decide on the "gift"

TheCougar

WKR
I have decided to throw my support behind BHA as a lifetime member. I'm 90% on board with what they do and the causes they fight for, and I think my money will go to good use. My only problem... I don't know what schwag to get with my membership. I'm hoping you guys can look at my situation and make a recommendation.

I'm leaning towards the gold or platinum SO packages or the Kimber Platinum package. (I have no need for a kayak or a fly fishing rod - I do neither).

SO Shelter: My current shelter status: I have a 2 man MSR tent, a bit heavy (5lbs) and small but it works. I have a huuuge 8 man REI tent with garage that I love, but it is terrible in the wind. I don't have anything with a stove. I have 4 kids and a wife, and I don't think I will camp anywhere super cold with them in the near future (I just moved to TX) and I think they would prefer the tent over the tipi. My kryptonite is bugs. I get hammered by mosquitos and I often get bacterial infections from bug bites, so I'm a bit wary of the tipi. I can make a case for the Cimarron (lighter weight w/o stove) and cold wx camping option when I hunt. I can make a case for the 12 man tipi - sturdy base camp tent with heat and wind protection. In both cases, I don't need either, but I'm sure I could make use out of them and they would round out my current setup. I would buy a nest for whatever I got. I generally hunt out of a base camp rather than running around with 60 lbs on my back, but I am also fine with packing in deep if the situation calls for it.

Kimber Rifle: I'm mainly a bowhunter, so all I have is a 243 and a 7mm RM. I could always use another rifle, but I can kill everything in north America with the rifles I have and good ammunition. I'm taking my son on his first hunts in the next couple years, so having a rifle with a muzzle brake might be a good idea. I'd lean towards a 308 or 30-06 due to cheap ammo and mild recoil for him with a brake. I'm sure I could make good use out of a 270 or 300WM as well... Then I'd have to buy an expensive scope for it... Again, don't need a rifle, but I'm sure I'll get use out of another one.

My next two years in hunting are: Wyoming antelope (rifle), fly-in Alaska moose (rifle), and probably a rifle or archery mule deer and elk hunt, plus a youth deer hunt and maybe javelina or antelope.

I know its tough putting yourself in my shoes, but I'm going to get a luxury item that I don't need, so feel free to opine and tell me what I should get!

Last edited:
I thought about this for a while and it still gets me from week to week...
I swear the rifle is the best deal. I have a Tut, and a nice fly rod and I’m kind of a glock guy.... they should hook up with hoyt and do a RX-1 package...
but if and when I do this... I’m going kimber rifle in 7-08

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
Get the rifle in 30-06 or 300 win and keep it for yourself. Give your son the 7mm. Great gun for you, good gun for your son to start out with.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always wonder why these kinds of organizations have to "bribe" people to become members. Why are they "wasting" money on swag when it should be put forth to their cause and efforts. And if they're wasting that kind of money on swag, where else are they wasting money?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always wonder why these kinds of organizations have to "bribe" people to become members. Why are they "wasting" money on swag when it should be put forth to their cause and efforts. And if they're wasting that kind of money on swag, where else are they wasting money?
That is a fair question. I wonder how much the "vendor" is donating vs. the organization? If places like SO/Kimber are flat out stepping up and covering the cost then that is pretty amazing. I sure hope its a money maker for the organization.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider

I'm guessing that's a partnership with the manufacturers that want to see the backcountry do well themselves.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I don’t really have a problem with it, particularly since I assume BHA is getting a kickback of sorts. For example, lifetime membership alone seems to run about $700-800. If SO is offering $800 worth of gear, but only charging $500 for it, then the member gets $800 worth of gear and BHA gets a $1000+ donation. If they had just a straight lifetime donation, I would probably opt for that, but this is a good excuse to get a rifle or tipi!

Gorp2007

WKR
Generallly the manufacturer donates the item and because it's a donation to a non-profit, they can write it off at MSRP. So the manufacturer might be out a few dollars, but in exchange they get lots of good publicity and advertising.

Trial153

WKR

With friends like this who needs enemies ^. I don’t think you can get more convoluted then this line of thinking, sadly drivel like this seems to be typical for you. It’s amazing that someone would look to put a negative spin on a partnership between top shelf outdoors manufacturers with a BHA.

This is win win for all three parties involved.

The manufacturers win because they get to support a cause they believe in and tthat the industrydepends on. They get products in the hands of outdoorsmen that share their values, the products and cause are both highlighted. It’s good business while helping in a worthwhile cause.
The individuals who up there memberships win because they form a stronger bond to the organization, as a life member. And they also feel a sense of ownership that comes with being a life member. I would venture to guess that if they are willing to pay for this because they believe in what the organization stands for. In many cases the membership is way more more money than a person can go by the item for. These are the people the we as an organization want to form a lasting relationship with. If we can give them a great gift in the process then even better.

BHA wins because they established partnership with the companies with the hope that support they receive transcends the membership drive and carry’s over to future. They also win because we need members especially at the life time level. Why?because this entire endeavor is hinged on us finding commonality with like minded individuals. That doesn’t mean we all agree on everything however it does mean that we are all working to shared goal. An organization is only as good as its members. We win by giving back to our membership. This accomplished that goal.

Get the rifle in a 308 or 30-06 and give it to your kid..... it's a rifle that will last him a lifetime and he'll always appreciate it, especially when he hits college and he's cashing in piggy bank change to buy a tag.

when I was in high school I worked 4 different jobs saving 1/2 of every pay check for post secondary education. With graduation money I expected my parents to make me put it all away. Unbeknowst to me at the time, they discussed it and proposed I make a purchase that was meaningful and it had to be something I anticipated having forever. I took that money plus a little I had saved and bought a beretta o/u shotgun. 30+ years later it's still in my safe, still gets used and is approaching 4X's the value of what I paid. More importantly though I used it through college, early in my career and it's a heirloom now that my kids will get someday. It's not an overly unique gun, but it's important and I always remember the story behind it, when I hunt with it.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR

You don't get free swag and it isn't a bribe, you are buying it, at the same time you are supporting both BHA and companies that have a similar belief. They could easily offer a life membership for $350 for those that don't want to also buy a product at a reduced rate (discount). Think of it as a company like Kimber giving you a discount because your a BHA life member but if you would prefer you can pay a monthly membership and not get a discount, there are options and it is your choice. You just can't look at it as these orgs are getting a $1000 or $2500 membership fee to spend on conservation and then giving you a product, not how it works.

Last edited:

jwatts

WKR
No opinion on the gravy, just wanted to say thanks for supporting BHA in a big way.

I'll second this. Thanks for making the commitment to become a lief member.

Personally I went with the SO Cimmaron/backpack/stove combo. I didn't need the pack and ended up selling it on here to fund a big First Lite purchase. However, I wanted to try a shelter similar to the Cimmaron and couldn't justify buying one. I can talk myself into paying that much for a gun, but not a shelter.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I'll second this. Thanks for making the commitment to become a lief member.

Personally I went with the SO Cimmaron/backpack/stove combo. I didn't need the pack and ended up selling it on here to fund a big First Lite purchase. However, I wanted to try a shelter similar to the Cimmaron and couldn't justify buying one. I can talk myself into paying that much for a gun, but not a shelter.

What do you think of it? I’m not sold on the idea of tipi tents. They seem like a neat idea, but I have never felt like I needed one.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider

Speaking of money, Ebenezer, will you finally give Bob Cratchit a raise?

Please explain how they are "wasting money on swag"?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
With friends like this who needs enemies ^. I don’t think you can get more convoluted then this line of thinking, sadly drivel like this seems to be typical for you.

Typical? Ah yes, my simple drivel of logic and reason must get old for you and the sorts that have trouble with that simple stuff. But if you want to give all your money away without any questions give me a call. I've got a bunch of opportunities for you.

Don't ever get involved in business. All that legal and logic drivel will frustrate the heck out of you.

If anyone has any FACTUAL knowledge and not guesses as to whether this is all donated or such......post it up. I know Kevin (SO) is on here.

But gee Trial, we all could have done without your post. But if you'd like to discuss it further offline, lets get together. I'll even pay for the hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Please explain how they are "wasting money on swag"?

That depends on what the terms are. Apparently the manufacturers give this stuff away for a write-off, so that wouldn't cost BHA anything.........IF that's actually the case. I don't know. That's why I asked. Next time I'll just assume and not bother with a question.

I'll stand aside and watch all the lemmings go off the cliff. But at least I asked the question.

That depends on what the terms are. Apparently the manufacturers give this stuff away for a write-off, so that wouldn't cost BHA anything.........IF that's actually the case. I don't know. That's why I asked. Next time I'll just assume and not bother with a question.

I'll stand aside and watch all the lemmings go off the cliff. But at least I asked the question.

Your question assumed they are wasting money on swag, it didn't ask whether or not they were or what the terms were.