Fleece Midlayers

Its getting cooler out and have been looking at upgrading some of my midlayer stuff to wear under my soft shell and insulation layers. Something that could be worn as an outer layer while moving but still fits close enough to easily just layer over the top of so breathability and wind resistance would be important.

Here is what Ive narrowed it down to:

First Lite Halstead Fleece

Sitka Core Heavyweight Zip T

Kuiu Peloton 240 Full Zip

Mostly heavier stuff as opposed to like a Peloton 200 as im looking for more of a late mid season to late season midlayer so want something a little heavier. Just looking for input from people who actually own these particular pieces as to how warm, breathable, and wind resistant each piece is, how packable, durability, etc. Any real world input greatly appreciated, thanks!

If anyone is using something else they love let me know and ill take a look too, not married to any particular name brand i like to just use what works for me.

wytx

WKR
Watch Camofire for deals on any of them. They may throw some Core4element and Sitka layers on sale this winter.

WyoElk

WKR
I only have used the halsted and it’s been great. Just like all of them i suspect, it can we worn as a stand alone on nice days or as a layer in the cold. The grid fleece is nice and seems to do what they say it will.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I have the halstead and peloton 240. They are both pretty warm for their weight and breathable. Neither of them are very durable as an outer layer, especially if you are busting any brush. They will get thread pulls and pill/fuzz fairly quickly. Overall I like the 240 a little better because of fit and the hood. The 240 is also a little more wind resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jm1607

WKR
Halstead is nice, it's my go-to mid-layer. Wish it was full zip though. Kind of dumb it's not. It's amazing the simple things companies don't think of. Why would anyone want a pullover mid-layer?? I actually had mine modified with a full zip. Silent. Not super durable but durable enough. It's a little thicker than the Peloton as well so it's a little warmer.

The Peloton is nice cause it half-ass shears some wind (not a true windshear layer). But at the same time you can't wear it as an outlayer when bow hunting cause it's too noisy. And the noisy is a weird high-pitched noisy too. Little less warm than Halstead and about the same durability. It's one of the very few Kuiu pieces I think are worth a crap at all.

Both breathe about the same. Both breathe "ok".

Never seen the Sitka.

OP
S
I have the Sitka and it’s pretty warm and durable. With a vest outer layer, I am pretty good on cold days. If you stop moving, just throw a coat over top until you get going again.

Conroy, i grew up in Mukwonago and my parents are still there....small world!

OP
S
Halstead is nice, it's my go-to mid-layer. Wish it was full zip though. Kind of dumb it's not. It's amazing the simple things companies don't think of. Why would anyone want a pullover mid-layer?? I actually had mine modified with a full zip. Silent. Not super durable but durable enough. It's a little thicker than the Peloton as well so it's a little warmer.

The Peloton is nice cause it half-ass shears some wind (not a true windshear layer). But at the same time you can't wear it as an outlayer when bow hunting cause it's too noisy. And the noisy is a weird high-pitched noisy too. Little less warm than Halstead and about the same durability. It's one of the very few Kuiu pieces I think are worth a crap at all.

Both breathe about the same. Both breathe "ok".

Never seen the Sitka.

I go back and forth between these two for the very reasons you mention. I really like the idea of the zipper on the Peloton as I need to layer up and down as I hate pulling them over my head, just me. Kuiu website said its "wind resistant" too so I liked that aspect of it.

Was thinking the Halstead might be slightly warmer too, thought the Peloton would be silent so good to know its got some sound to it. Im a fanatic when it comes to noise bowhunting. Sorta leaning towards the Halstead, never thought of putting a zipper on it thats brilliant!

Conroy

WKR
Conroy, i grew up in Mukwonago and my parents are still there....small world!

Not many people have heard of Mukwonago and half of them can’t pronounce it. Ordering stuff over the phone is the best. Oconomowoc is another one. I’m trying to move out west myself, but the company I work for hasn’t sold yet. Supposedly in January. My fingers are crossed

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'll be following this.
I'm looking to add a piece like this myself. I've been using a green Marmot 1/4 zip fleece pullover. My next one will have to have a 1/4 zip because I'll be using it as a midlayer and not an outer layer. I also don't care for anything with a hood, except for a raincoat. Even then, it needs to be removable.

I am pretty happy with my halstead and still wear a Patagonia fleece as well.

I have a pet theory that if you put a puffy under another layer you compress the loft so it is less good of an insulator than if it were an outgarment. Based on that, I have added fleece back to my layering system and the halstead is getting it fair share of time in the woods this year.

OP
S
I am pretty happy with my halstead and still wear a Patagonia fleece as well.

I have a pet theory that if you put a puffy under another layer you compress the loft so it is less good of an insulator than if it were an outgarment. Based on that, I have added fleece back to my layering system and the halstead is getting it fair share of time in the woods this year.

Yeah i agree. Leaning more towards the Halstead as the other FL stuff I have has treated me pretty well. I dont have a lot of Kuiu but liked the Peleton more because it has the zipper and the ability to take the edge off the wind if im moving.

How did the Halstead handle the wind, cut through it? Or was it warm enough that it wasnt really an issue.

I have the Peloton 240 jacket in Verde and recently bought the hooded version in black. It makes a great "Texas winter" jacket. I think Kuiu's description of the piece is pretty spot-on. My only complaint is that the fabric has a sheen to it that most mid-layer fleeces do not have.

I've also got Sitka's Fanatic hoody (which I believe is very similar to the Core Heavyweight). If you don't mind the Elevated 2 pattern, this is the one I'd recommend for bowhunting. Quiet, comfortable, and I love the kangaroo pocket.

I would be a lot more interested in First Lite Halstead if it had pockets...it doesn't have any pockets right?

Halstead only has a Napoleon pocket. Except it is on the left biceps and too small for anything practical.

It cuts wind like a screened door. Slows it down but let’s most of it through. The upside is it breathes really well under a garment as a mid layer. I have other fleeces I use as outerlayer. If you really want something for wind I would look elsewhere.

texag10

WKR
A bit out of left field, but I am very happy with my mountain hardwear monkey man fleece. 0 wind resistance, but I like it in that I can wear it while moving and not get sweaty because of how breathable it is, then throw a shell over it if I have to stop and it is windy. It is completely silent. Makes a great pillow at night too.

I realize your environment might necessitate wind resistance, but thought I'd throw it out there.

OP
S
A bit out of left field, but I am very happy with my mountain hardwear monkey man fleece. 0 wind resistance, but I like it in that I can wear it while moving and not get sweaty because of how breathable it is, then throw a shell over it if I have to stop and it is windy. It is completely silent. Makes a great pillow at night too.

I realize your environment might necessitate wind resistance, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks ill check out this one out. Might sound odd but I overheat pretty easily so I at times prefer to let a little wind through, air conditioning so to speak, lol.

OP
S
I have the Peloton 240 jacket in Verde and recently bought the hooded version in black. It makes a great "Texas winter" jacket. I think Kuiu's description of the piece is pretty spot-on. My only complaint is that the fabric has a sheen to it that most mid-layer fleeces do not have.

I've also got Sitka's Fanatic hoody (which I believe is very similar to the Core Heavyweight). If you don't mind the Elevated 2 pattern, this is the one I'd recommend for bowhunting. Quiet, comfortable, and I love the kangaroo pocket.

I would be a lot more interested in First Lite Halstead if it had pockets...it doesn't have any pockets right?

Never considered the Fanatic Hoody ill take a look at that one as well. Definitely want a quite piece for archery, warm too I imagine for a late season mid layer?