Hunt Ideas for Father-in-law

McGilvra

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Roksliders,

My father-in-law turns 68 next year and wants to do a western hunt. We have a great relationship and I want to plan something we can tackle next year. He and I are both seasoned eastern whitetail hunters. This would be a first western hunt for either of us. He has some knee and hip issues from college football days so mobility is a bit of a concern- he can’t do days of mountain hiking. Also, he mentioned that he’d probably prefer coming back to a hotel or lodge each night versus a backcountry camping experience.

I understand this site is geared towards DIY backcountry experience but am looking for suggestions. Knowing him, he’s mainly in for the adventure and less about his personal success.

Seems like a rifle antelope hunt on public land could be a good option. If we could get onto cow elk or either sex mule deer that’d be great as well. I’m an archery hunter so have that option as well.

We would likely drive from the Midwest (MI) but could fly and rent a vehicle.

We are open to a diy Public unguided trip, could do guided or something on private but need to keep this under say $7k.

Thanks for any advice you may have- hopefully I provided enough background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Wyoming antelope hunt, DIY as its an easy deal without a lot of hiking if you don't want to.

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
A Wyoming deer or antelope hunt is very doable in the Black Hills area. You have to find BLM land, but there are lots of deer and antelope there

Hey Roksliders,

My father-in-law turns 68 next year and wants to do a western hunt. We have a great relationship and I want to plan something we can tackle next year. He and I are both seasoned eastern whitetail hunters. This would be a first western hunt for either of us. He has some knee and hip issues from college football days so mobility is a bit of a concern- he can’t do days of mountain hiking. Also, he mentioned that he’d probably prefer coming back to a hotel or lodge each night versus a backcountry camping experience.

I understand this site is geared towards DIY backcountry experience but am looking for suggestions. Knowing him, he’s mainly in for the adventure and less about his personal success.

Seems like a rifle antelope hunt on public land could be a good option. If we could get onto cow elk or either sex mule deer that’d be great as well. I’m an archery hunter so have that option as well.

We would likely drive from the Midwest (MI) but could fly and rent a vehicle.

We are open to a diy Public unguided trip, could do guided or something on private but need to keep this under say $7k.

Thanks for any advice you may have- hopefully I provided enough background.

Colorado 3 or 4 th season deer riffle
Watch the hushin you tube videos
Out right now

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Any PP ? If not you are limited. Get at least one PP to get better draw odds in Wyoming. Antelope or a cow elk might be drawn with no PP this next year.

OP
M

McGilvra

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t have any preference points as of now. Definitely looking into WY as I love the Black Hills area.

I’d do an eastern MT muley hunt mid/late November. Lots of deer and good accommodations can be had. If not Id look at Wyoming antelope