Blonde Coyote

I've seen a lot of coyotes over the years, with a lot of different color phases. Never seen a blonde one until this week, and then in the strangest of places.

Somebody hit and killed a doe on the main drag of our subdivision. Our subdivision has quite a bit of deer and other wildlife due to the wooded lots and draws, a ton of water, and a golf course buffet. I actually almost hit one last year in the same spot and knife, as it's a pretty well used crossing.

Anyway, I'm running to the bank Friday, and as I approach the spot, I see a car pulled off and a lady trying to call a dog to her that's off its leash. Then, the "dog" moves, and I realize it's a coyote, but blonde, and been eating the deer carcass. Took me a second to process it as I've never seen one close to this light.

When I pulled away, I thought maybe I should tell this lady that what she's trying to call in isn't someone's lost pooch with a blade, but then reconsidered and literary let nature take its course. They were both gone when I got back, but the carcass was still there this morning, so maybe I'll see the coyote again.

I didn't think to take a picture, but o googled it, and this is exactly what the one I saw looked like.

Last edited:
I saw a black one while hunting pheasants about ten years ago. I figured it was a coy-dog. It sure was cool looking though.