DIY hunt ideas for a 'turning 50' trip

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Everybody,

I'm deep in research on threads here but thought I might throw it out here to see what suggestions you all have. My buddy and I are looking at taking a big trip in 3-4 years when we both turn 50. Mostly looking at DIY or a maybe a drop camp/packed deep on horses.

we are going to come up with 4-5 ideas and then choose one.

Budget is around 5k each. Weapon is rifle.

1. Bob marshall elk/mule deer combo
2. Alaska moose (is this possible at our budget?)
3. Colorado mule deer (start building points now)

?

What else should we be looking at? Both have been hunting deer our whole lives, he's more experienced with elk than I am. We each have probably 7-8 backcountry hunts under our belt here in Wa/or we just don't hunt out of the PNW very often. He's hunted wyoming antelope, i've done Ms deer and we still both do Oregon elk/deer but we don't really know what else is out there.

A combo elk/deer hunt is really intriguing to me.

Hey Everybody,

I'm deep in research on threads here but thought I might throw it out here to see what suggestions you all have. My buddy and I are looking at taking a big trip in 3-4 years when we both turn 50. Mostly looking at DIY or a maybe a drop camp/packed deep on horses.

we are going to come up with 4-5 ideas and then choose one.

Budget is around 5k each. Weapon is rifle.

1. Bob marshall elk/mule deer combo
2. Alaska moose (is this possible at our budget?)
3. Colorado mule deer (start building points now)

?

What else should we be looking at? Both have been hunting deer our whole lives, he's more experienced with elk than I am. We each have probably 7-8 backcountry hunts under our belt here in Wa/or we just don't hunt out of the PNW very often. He's hunted wyoming antelope, i've done Ms deer and we still both do Oregon elk/deer but we don't really know what else is out there.

A combo elk/deer hunt is really intriguing to me.

My thoughts....
The 'bob:
If success isn't an overly critical part of the trip, the Bob Marshall can't be beat. It is, quite possibly, the most awesome wilderness area in the lower 48. That said, elk numbers (at least on the west side) aren't great and deer are there but take some finding. The lower areas closer to the boundary are overrun with whitetails but I'm guessing you're not as interested in them? That area has a lot of 4 legged predators and after spending enough time in there, there's definitely better options from a success standpoint. If you're just loooking to wake up in possibly the greatest area in the world though each morning and look at country, the bob is where it's at.

Alaska:
If funds permit, do this one.... the other 2 can be done for much less than your $5K cap.... even dropped off by an outfitter you'll be at about 1/2 your budget when alls said and done (for the other 2). I can't think of a better "50 yr milestone" hunt for your price range. If you spend some time planning and shopping around you'll be able to pull this off for $5K each. Assuming all your gear is pretty much owned already and you just have to get there and have a tag, transportation will obviously be your big cost.... Looking 3-4 years out, start planning now.

CO Deer:
Lots of tags available with 0-1pts, I don't know what 3-4 gets you.... it might not be the worst idea to get points in the event of creep but I think you can draw most outside of the premium units with 1ish for 2nd or 3rd rifle..... Premo units are going to take more than 3-4. There are some early season high elev rifle hunts in sept that might take 3-4pts.... otherwise it's a few points or ALOT of points for most units west of the front range.

Combo hunts:
Some love them, I hate them. I've done them and vowed not to anymore.... Especially with rifle seasons when they are, it seems like deer and elk are at seperate elevations and so I tend to do both poorly. I find myself much more focused and successful if I'm only chasing one specie. I'm guessing there's those on here that will have a 180 degree different view, that's just my take.

wytx

WKR
Start buying some Wyoming points and add that state to your list. Lots to see and do in addition to a great hunt. Trophy class fishing and great bird hunting can all be done on one trip with big game hunting.

rayporter

WKR
moose-sooner than later

you may do it for 5k now but in 4 years who knows???? price goes up every year.

and for sure start planning NOW! you need booked a year or more in advance.