Avalanche Danger

With the weather coming in, it makes me a little nervous because the area I'm planning on hunting this weekend is steep with many areas over 30 degree slopes.

Do you think I can stay reasonably safe by sticking to less steep areas, lower elevation, and ridges? At what snow depth does avalanche danger start to get higher? I think there may only be a foot at the mid slope area that will be our highest point.

I've never really thought about avalanche danger while hunting but it's normally because I'm hunting earlier in November/October.

Thanks.

Smart hunters avoid avalanche-prone locations. Experience and training means learning how to recognize and avoid sketchy areas and most will be well known and easily identified on a map. People have died from avalanches that began 3000+' above them. An ounce of prevention...

Last edited:
I am no expert in the science end of it, but I have snow mobiled decades in the high mountains of Utah.
There are many things to consider....

We always look for "conrnices" (not even sure how to spell that) which is a drifted bit of snow curling over like a wave just before it breaks. These are usually easy to spot.

Ive noticed most of the avalanches we were in were caused by wet heavy snow on top of these type of terrain features. Long vertical faces that face to the South are also vulnerable.

Someone above said they can start in areas you cant see and travel down- that is good advice as well. I have seen the same areas consistently produce them, and rarely does a newer area unless the snow fall is exceptionally greater than normal.

We are comfortable going into these areas as locals, cause we know the snow levels for that time of year as to if they are above average or not, as well as the "regular vulnerable spots"

For someone new to an area, perhaps a google search of past instances would benefit you.

I will end this with a caution: This can be serious danger especially when weather conditions are right (cool dry snow first, heavy wet snow second), total snow fall is above normal for that time of year and the slopes cant hold it. Many things to consider. But with a good accessment of the land, some intel gathering and common sense will go a long way.

I would not worry about a foot of snow where we ride, as it doesn't get the chance to accumulate and "build" as it comes down to us- but perhaps in other areas that could become an issue. I have seen avalanches with 4 feet and more of snow come down and be harmless, just depends what is in its path for it to gather up along the way.

Yes lower elev and less steep ridges are safer.

Last edited:
OP
I
To tie up the thread, there was not very much snow at all below 7,000 feet where we were hunting. Thanks for the help. I'm going to spend some time researching for the future.