Rifle Stock

Gobbler36

WKR
got a savage LA 111
looking to upgrade the factory stock, and i am not wanting to dump $500+ on a good lightweight mountain rifle stock.

can some of you recommend me a good affordable lightweight stock?

Jd259

WKR
IMO you get what you pay for cheap stocks are exactly that... buy once cry once get a McMillan with their edge fill definitely pricy but the nicest stock I’ve ever owned hands down well worth the money...

Beendare

WKR
Question for you rifle guys:
Does the stock really matter that much?

I have a cheap savage LH bolt rifle in .223 that cant hang accuracy wise with my bull barrel AR...stock probably wont matter much there eh?

Jd259

WKR
Question for you rifle guys:
Does the stock really matter that much?

I have a cheap savage LH bolt rifle in .223 that cant hang accuracy wise with my bull barrel AR...stock probably wont matter much there eh?

Heck yeah a good stock can make a world of difference but like you say it’s a cheap gun so is it worth a 7-900 dollar stock?? And also bedding the action into a mediocre stock can clear up a lot of accuracy issues a lot cheaper than a high dollar stock...

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Heck yeah a good stock can make a world of difference but like you say it’s a cheap gun so is it worth a 7-900 dollar stock?? And also bedding the action into a mediocre stock can clear up a lot of accuracy issues a lot cheaper than a high dollar stock...

Good point, and it being a budget gun is exactly why I brought up the question of the best value lightweight stock I was pretty much looking to spend $200-$300

Jd259

WKR
Good point, and it being a budget gun is exactly why I brought up the question of the best value lightweight stock I was pretty much looking to spend $200-$300

Have you put any thought into bedding it? You can do it for about 40 bucks and a couple hours of time and it can have nearly the same effect as a high dollar stock would have unless your just trying to save weight on an already good shooting gun? HS precision makes a pretty good middle of the road stock for around your price range and they have an aluminum bedding blocks so they are easy to glass bed.. might be worth a look sorry if I came off wrong there to you just trying to speak from experience and what I have and has worked for me. Good luck.

HookUp

WKR
I'm in the same boat with my savage, I am just going to buy a new gun. There is some good dips that have a rubberized feel to them which may be your best option.

Just had this put together with a McMillan A5 Carbon Ambush...same as their Edge technology stocks. It’s ridiculously lightweight....(It’s still awaiting a new bolt knob and cerakoating)

Attachments

• 35BC4037-37B7-4D62-BFFD-7E02892D4992.jpg
    35BC4037-37B7-4D62-BFFD-7E02892D4992.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 75

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Every time I have tried to get any thing light weight and cheap it seems to cost more in the end.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

BH107

FNG
Quality, lightweight, and cheap don’t go together when it comes to stocks. Boyd’s or B&C will be quality and in your price range, but not light. Or you can use the factory Tupperware stock to get light, but they flex all over and fit horribly.

I just finished a 6.5x284 Savage build when i decided my rifle wanted to lose some weight of packing around. I went with the McMillan Game Warden ultralight, and a Proof 28” barrel and the rifle weighs in at 7.2lbs before the scope.

Manners makes great stocks if your willing to wait 9-12 months for a stock if they don’t have the one you want in stock and there also pretty pricy but again great stocks...

Both Manners and Mcmillan are currently 6 months out on custom stocks. Pick your poison.

A stock absolutely can make or break a rifle. Both in making it easy to use quality shooter fundamentals, and not in itself hindering accuracy. I can tell you that a quality bedding job may or may not help an already accurate rifle shoot better. But poor accuracy problems are more often then not related to poor action/Barrel/stock relationship. 90% of the Mcmillan and Manners stocks I use require minor dremel/Mill work to make sure everything clears correctly. Mainly due to trigger/Bolt release/bottom metal/mag box clearances. They fit the action perfectly, everything else seems to be an afterthought.

And whoever mentioned cheap/quality/lightweight earlier is dead on. Pick two of the three as a rule.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jd259

WKR
McMillan has inlet ready stocks that they can have to your door in about two weeks I just had a game warden in their ultra light carbon fiber inletted for a custom action built and got it in about 10 days couldn’t be happier with it, super light about 24oz and very comfortable highly recommend it they are pricy but you gat what you pay for.