Got 3 euro deer done today!

rbljack

WKR
For those interested in learning a boiling technique and pressure washing...check out the whitebones creations channel on you tube. He has some great tutorials and explains his method in numerous videos.

In the past, I had beetles, and did my euro mounts that way...but it was too time consuming to mess with it. So...I decided to try another round using the boil and pressure wash method. Overall, they came out great. I had an incident with the smallest buck and the nose got messed up because it was quite fragile. other than that.....no problems except one STINKY whitetail.

Finally cleared out some freezer space! they have been in there or 2 years needing to be done....LOL.

Most of the videos appear to be animal specific rather focusing on the methods used. Which video would you recommend to learn the process?

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
His videos are very helpful. I've done a few whitetail this year. For 2 deer I have used the cream peroxide and 2 times I boiled it with the liquid peroxide. The cream worked better for me but took a lot longer time. What water/peroxide ratio did you use? I would like to go this route.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
Nd...he does do a lot of them specific to an particular animal...and ive watched most of them...LOL. Start with these:
HOW TO CLEAN A DEER SKULL ( EASY PROFFESIONAL EUROPEAN METHOD ) - YouTube
HOW TO CLEAN A WHITETAIL DEER SKULL - YouTube
HOW TO CLEAN A DALL SHEEP SKULL - YouTube

Studd....I used the 40 percent by volume cream because that's what I could get. I used the whole 1 gallon of cream, and mixed it with a gallon of water to get a 50/50 mix. For the deer, I left them in the mix for about 12 minutes each, with the "slurry" heated, but not quite at a boil. Just slightly bubbling.

Another IMPORTANT TIP I can provide that he wasn't clear about in his videos. I followed his recommendation for the oxi clean and added it to the boil as I removed all the meat. BUT...I used to much. I added one scoop of oxy clean to my full pot of water. Problem is that when it comes to a boil, if foams up and makes a huge mess!! Total PITA. Next time I will only use a small amount, like a teaspoon or maybe a tablespoon.

Ive got to euro a buddies elk next, and then my deep freeze will be cleaned up finally!

Attachments

• IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I used a full scoop of oxi-clean and it foamed up like crazy. I'll definitely use less next time. Thanks for the help, I have 2 more to do in the next couple weeks. Your deer look nice.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
Follow up on the euro's. I did the elk skull last night, and it didn't go quite so smoothly. Here are some things you will need to know that I learned.

I went to tractor supply and bought a 28 gallon round container that would be plenty big enough to fit the elk skull. I used as my container to boil the skull in.

PROBLEM #1: It was TOO big, and because it was round, it wouldn't go over both burners on my Camp Chef Explorer stove. It did fit over one of them however. This led to PROBLEM#2. The container is simply too big. I was not able to obtain a proper boil. It was able to get hot, but not quite to a boil, it was more of a hot simmer. That leads to
PROBLEM#2: Because the elk skull soaked for a LONG time....as in HOURS....things within the skull started to loosen up. Teeth, the two nose bones across the top of the skull started to separate etc.
Because the container was galvanized, it led to...
PROBLEM #3: The galvenaized will react with the peroxide...so I had to come up with a different method for the whitening process. I boiled my 50/50 mix in smaller pots and dumped them into a cooler which would work for whitening the elk skull. Again this container was too big for the skull. Because I bought 2 gallons of developer, I had 4 gallons of 50/50 mix in the cooler, BUT that wasn't enough to cover the skull properly. I had to add more water which diluted the mix a bit. I also had to place washcloths over the top of the skull plate to keep everything covered with the mix.

In the end the elk skull came out pretty good. I need to locate different containers for doing them so there is not so much water to boil. Same problem with the developer container.

Those are a few things that should help anyone that wants to try doing their own. The elk skull took me WAY to long. I spent 7-8 hours on that process....the deer went much fast. The elk would go faster too if I had the right containers.

AdamW

WKR
Sounds like you're learning with every one.

I took my buck to the taxidermist for my euro mount; I just don't feel like I have the time to invest in doing my own and want it to turn out well. BUT...I decided I'd try a DIY hide tanning job. I'm about a week in to this thing and she's allllmost ready for the dumpster. Joking. I hope. :D

Lawnboi

WKR
Sounds like you're learning with every one.

I took my buck to the taxidermist for my euro mount; I just don't feel like I have the time to invest in doing my own and want it to turn out well. BUT...I decided I'd try a DIY hide tanning job. I'm about a week in to this thing and she's allllmost ready for the dumpster. Joking. I hope. :D

I'm doing the same. Took one decent buck to the taxi for euro and have a smaller one to experiment myself.

I also saved a hide to try tanning but the more i read the harder it sounds, I just want to make a leather without hair

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I done a bunch now and experimented with a couple different ways to come up with the best way for me.
b748647ecb47fd2dc1e842a4c62281bc.jpg
f7d03e6285e9b8da39d42e0ce6ffca44.jpg
for a single skull this 5 gal bucket with a flared top works great.

c7d7749a41a894937830b0674bd60d2e.jpg
911761d5d29a34474af047465158dff7.jpg
1e25921399b1cae0ae98695adb6b8e57.jpg

For an elk skull for two deer skulls at same time this 7.5 gallon tub from a farm/ranch store works great. Fits good on camp stove.
I only used water mixed with borox to simmer the meat off and get everything cleaned up to bare bone. I like to change the water borox mixture halfway though to get the extra meat and oils out.
86f66692a13fd765aed4a2625b035ee5.jpg

Then from the hair salon supply store get
50% or 40% peroxide and a packet of quick blue bleach powder. Mix the peroxide liquid and the powdered bleach into a slurry. Wrap antler bases with tinfoil to keep slurry off them then brush on the slurry to everything you want to whiten. Wrap skull with clear plastic wrap from the kitchen. Placing skull in sun speeds process for just leave on for a couple days. Pull plastic wrap and rinse with water ensure you get all the slurry off. Let dry. If it needs more bleaching repeat slurry process.

Last edited:
OP
R

rbljack

WKR
that size tub with the two deer skulls in it is EXACTLY what I was looking for but couldn't find locally....what size is that in gallons? any idea?

AdamW

WKR
that size tub with the two deer skulls in it is EXACTLY what I was looking for but couldn't find locally....what size is that in gallons? any idea?

Pic above the tub shows 7.5 gal and lists the mfr website, etc. Tractor supply "should" have a 5 gal version oval tub.

Last edited:

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Home euros are the way to go! I have used the boil and pressure wash system for years with gret luck. Only downside to boiling over beetles is the delicate sinus cavity bones often are broken when boiling.
I use that exact type of gel peroxide. Got it from the local hair styling supply store. You should have seen their faces when I told them what it was for....
I don't use oxi-clean soap any more, I did and found the foam up a problem as well. I now use old fashioned Borax and it works perfectly as a de-greaser.