Repairing KUIU Guide jacket

huntdoc

FNG
Had an unfortunate accident and had a couple tears in my year old guide jacket. The worst is a couple inches long on the sleeve. Has anyone ever tried sewing this fabric? Are there other repair options? Thanks

Hard to sew tears closed without some noticeable puckering. If much damage has happened you would be better off with a patch overlay. BUT...

I once put a pretty good rip in my Guide Pants while hunting. I carefully lined up the fabric edges and applied a good even smear of AquaSeal Seam Sealer on both the inside and outside of the rip. It held fine and I never had to do any further repairs. AquaSeal is a very strong and durable product which works perfectly on flexible soft shells, neoprene, etc.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Had an unfortunate accident and had a couple tears in my year old guide jacket. The worst is a couple inches long on the sleeve. Has anyone ever tried sewing this fabric? Are there other repair options? Thanks

Kuiu used to recommend and sell Tenacious Tape as a repair option. I bought some a while back and have used it on a couple of small rips I put in a pair of Attack pants and a guide jacket. Works pretty well and you can barely tell its there. Might be worth a try.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
Another recommendation for Tenacious Tape(made by Gear Aid). Available on amazon, you can order patches or tape in clear or black.

Any feedback or experiences with how Tenacious Tape holds up to washing, drying, extended use, etc? Good enough to consider a permanent repair?

gelton

WKR
Any feedback or experiences with how Tenacious Tape holds up to washing, drying, extended use, etc? Good enough to consider a permanent repair?

I have used it with good results and it held up to washing and drying over extended use. Just want to be sure to clean any frays from the fabric, not to use too big of a piece of tape, and to use it on both sides of the repair so in the middle the tape is touching on both sides of the fabric. No complaints so far and I started using it ~3 years ago so not sure I would call it permanent but good enough for me.

use it on both sides of the repair so in the middle the tape is touching on both sides of the fabric.

That might be the deal-breaker on a Guide Jacket (and others) which have a fleeced or brushed interior. I'm fairly certain tape would not adhere inside the Guide, but it would still be better than no repair...especially afield.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I tore my Guide pants and Kuiu customer service replied with this recommendation ...

"If you would like to get your Guide Pants repaired, we recommend you contact Rainy Pass Repair at the information below. Rainy Pass is a professional repair outfit that specializes in technical outdoor gear repairs, and we believe they are the best in the business. They are equipped with all of our fabrics and able to repair almost all damage.

Rainy Pass Repair
4415 Stone Way North
Seattle, WA 98103
Toll Free: 888-747-7867 (888-RIP STOP)
local: 206-523-8135"

I have not used them yet and cannot offer any feedback.

OP
H

huntdoc

FNG
I was going to post same, that Kuiu replied that Rainy Pass was option for repair. Going to look into it.