Colorado Shed Hunting Season and Permit

Lawnboi

WKR
Good on them for trying to protect wintering grounds.

Would this problem even exist if shed hunting wasn't seen as a money making venture for some?

Slim Jim

WKR
They are trying to do the same here in NV. The problem is people will still chase the animals around and just stash antlers till the opener. I guess it’ll hold back some pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
I'm glad they are implementing a season after what happened last year. The only thing I would change would be to just make the shed hunting permit apart of a small games liscense instead of a seperate $40 fee.

elkduds

WKR
In favor of improving animal protection on winter range. Also in favor of funding CPW to enforce winter range protection, even if it means charging a fee for a permit. Mostly in favor of making sale of shed antlers illegal, so there is no $ incentive to harass game on winter range.

dotman

WKR
I’m in favor of it, how much do you want to bet the majority posting against the fee and posting that CPW just wants more cash are also the ones profiting off of this. I like to believe the hikers and snowmobiles are not harassing wildlife but bone hunters I’m sure are more likely to push game around grid searching an area to find bone. I’m not against shed hunting but I do believe it needs to be managed especially if individuals are profiting off of it.

dotman

WKR
In favor of improving animal protection on winter range. Also in favor of funding CPW to enforce winter range protection, even if it means charging a fee for a permit. Mostly in favor of making sale of shed antlers illegal, so there is no $ incentive to harass game on winter range.

I agree, they just end up at pet stores as chew toys anyway.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
This will open up a whole new can of worms. Will there be non resident permits? Are permits going to be limited or on draw for prime units?
How will it be enforced? And finally the CPW has jurisdiction over managing wildlife, at what point is a shed antler still considered wildlife?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
good with me. I'm sick at what I see on the winter ranges. Might not help people will say, but it won't hurt. Like padlocks, it'll keep the honest people out and that might make a difference for our wintering deer.

Ucsdryder

WKR
How about if you sell them you need a commercial permit. Make the commercial permit 200. People are profiting off our reseouces. No different than going and cutting trees and selling them to a mill.

Lawnboi

WKR
How about if you sell them you need a commercial permit. Make the commercial permit 200. People are profiting off our reseouces. No different than going and cutting trees and selling them to a mill.

I'd think that would make it worse. Remember what happened when people made money off hunting long long ago.

Stop the problem before it becomes one, too bad it may be too late.

Last edited:
I’m all for it if it helps our game species out by not being harassed. However, the game wardens are already fighting a limited budget and resources so this is just another issue for them to half ass enforce.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been shed hunting for close to three decades.....if this helps things I am all for it and if there would be a tag fee sign me up👍

dotman

WKR
Seriously $40 isn't much these days, cheap meal out with the family costs more, it should be 3 times higher with a high fine for being caught with antlers or selling antlers without one. Also antler buyers should only be able to buy from permit holders with audit able books. Guess I'm not a fan of shed hunting as this is the period of the year wildlife is at its most vulnerable.

Lawnboi

WKR
I like getting out in the spring, testing gear, getting out of the house and even scouting to see what's alive still. I do it at a time that is acceptable per the area, or what I think is ethically right if season doesn't exist, and I certainly don't chase animals all over county to get them to drop. I'd have no problem paying a fee. As long as guys are making a buck off selling antlers, big competition will continue. Unfortunate, but people can be greedy, greedy hunters give the average guy a bad name, and next thing you know those privleges, like shed hunting will be taken or limited. I don't want to see that. I also don't sell what I find, I just like finding them, and making things with them, wife props them up all over the place.

And 40 may not be a big deal for most, but what if you take your whole family. Looking at a decent amount of money, gas and time.

cnelk

WKR
I would be willing to wager that high quality shed areas [wintering grounds] will be patrolled by drones at some point

What will take a guy a couple hour to hike, a drone can cover it in minutes.

I usually find my sheds at work. I found several this past summer. If I can’t do that anymore the summer is going get a lot longer.