Outfitter review

sndmn11

WKR
I would think that if the alcohol were truly an issue, or any of the other things, that they would have been brought up and either addressed or walked out on before the full nine planned days. That is like finishing your burger and fries, and then complaining that it was cold.
What operation was this?[/QUOTE
Good point, I’m not going to out the operation as I was not involved, these guys are my friends but it’s still 2nd hand information. It appears most of you feel like they were underserved, that was my impression as well.

I think a big part of a successful guided trip is being a good customer and understanding that expectations can't be met if they are unknown. After the first day of controllable points coming up short, making it known that what you experienced isn't what you paid for could have easily resulted in a great trip even if no deer were seen. Letting a short coming slide for a day or two sets the remainder of days and effectively communicates that things are hunkeydorey.

AdamW

WKR
Man, what a horror show. Almost $18,000 taken between the 3. Unbelievable.

I can't beat them up too bad, they were probably buying the "guide's" BS hook like and sinker and it is true in hunting that going from seeing nothing to taking a nice buck can happen in seconds; it's happened to me many times. You also don't want to go with your gut at times and want things to work out, but sometimes they don't. The downside here is we're talking about not just a week and a half of someone's time (probably their earned vacation or even leave without pay for some guys) but $18,000.

If the details are as you described, outing the "outfitter" by name or one of your friends joining the forum and doing it directly could save someone from losing the same amount of time and money.

I agree AdamW. If someone isn't aware, and they put up their hard earned $$$ like the OP friends did, they will find out too late. If forewarned, they can at least try to find a more reputable person to deal with. I bet he wishes his friends would have known about the outfitter before they dropped their cash. Just sayin'

I'm still stuck at $5800 per man for a deer? is that what deer hunts go for these days?

Honestly, $5800 isn’t that much compared to many many places. Most mule deer hunts with real good “reputable” Outfitters are between $7-$9,000. You could always book a mule deer hunt with “The Hollywood Hunter” Freddy Harties at his place and throw down $20,000!!!!! Check out his website!!! There are 200” bucks standing alongside the road just begging to be shot based off his Tv show!!

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, $5800 isn’t that much compared to many many places. Most mule deer hunts with real good “reputable” Outfitters are between $7-$9,000. You could always book a mule deer hunt with “The Hollywood Hunter” Freddy Harties at his place and throw down $20,000!!!!! Check out his website!!! There are 200” bucks standing alongside the road just begging to be shot based off his Tv show!!

i get what you are saying, there are more expensive hunts. But $5800 is a chunk of change make no mistake. There are MANY places you could hunt mule deer in that neighborhood and you are going to see a ton of deer.

I disagree with the whole notion that the customer is somehow partially responsible for the outfitter not knowing the "expectations" of the hunters. Just because they weren't bitching doesn't mean the guide is unaware they expect to see animals, perhaps get a shot opportunity. It's not too complicated. A sober guide would know this and a drunken one should lose his ticket.

i get what you are saying, there are more expensive hunts. But $5800 is a chunk of change make no mistake. There are MANY places you could hunt mule deer in that neighborhood and you are going to see a ton of deer.
$5800 is a huge chunk of change. I agree. There r a lot of places you will see deer and an opportunity for a nice buck at that price. I feel bad for these guys. I was just throwing out some numbers to the person I was quoting.

sndmn11

WKR
I disagree with the whole notion that the customer is somehow partially responsible for the outfitter not knowing the "expectations" of the hunters. Just because they weren't bitching doesn't mean the guide is unaware they expect to see animals, perhaps get a shot opportunity. It's not too complicated. A sober guide would know this and a drunken one should lose his ticket.

My point is that this is one half of a story, and second hand at that. Without knowing who the "outfitter" was, one cannot look into their operation to see if the story carries any credence. It seems that folks have jumped to the conclusion of the "outfitter" being unethical or criminal, without the operation being named, and some glaring holes in the story. I have found in my own experiences that how gray a subject is is directly related to how much information is missing. I was under the impression that Rokslide was made up of members who understood that hunting, and particularly hunting book sized animals, was exactly that, and success wasn't as simple as paying a fee and showing up.

My point is that this is one half of a story, and second hand at that. Without knowing who the "outfitter" was, one cannot look into their operation to see if the story carries any credence. It seems that folks have jumped to the conclusion of the "outfitter" being unethical or criminal, without the operation being named, and some glaring holes in the story. I have found in my own experiences that how gray a subject is is directly related to how much information is missing. I was under the impression that Rokslide was made up of members who understood that hunting, and particularly hunting book sized animals, was exactly that, and success wasn't as simple as paying a fee and showing up.

The Outfitter is being protected here (unnamed) so I take the comments about the operation at face value. I have no reason to question the OP's presentation of the events and sympathize with the guys. Not even seeing game while being guided on private property? I would expect them to have recent game cam pics and manage better in that long a hunt. Then to not make any kind of compensatory offer? That's BS.

sndmn11

WKR
The Outfitter is being protected here (unnamed) so I take the comments about the operation at face value. I have no reason to question the OP's presentation of the events and sympathize with the guys. Not even seeing game while being guided on private property? I would expect them to have recent game cam pics and manage better in that long a hunt. Then to not make any kind of compensatory offer? That's BS.

I respect your opinion, and it is certainly valid. For me there is too much suspect information, and I think that there is a lot more to the story

kicker338

WKR
My brother went threw almost the same thing here in Nth. Idaho except his was a guided horse back hunt 14mi in. Never seen an elk or deer, was supposed to be 3 guides ( he had paid extra for a one on one guide ). There was only the outfitter and one guide. 2 of the hunters were over 80yrs. old and one was a bad diabetic who they ultimately had to be airlifted out. No horse wranglers, the one guide told my brother he didn't have a clue as to what they were doing trying to hunt that area as there, according to him, no elk or deer there. The cook to my brother that it was the worst camp he had ever cooked for and would never do it for that outfitter again. I could go on for an hr. about the lies the outfitter told my brother but but enough said. By the way the outfit is called Bitterroot Mountian Outfitters, you can find them on the net.

For every stellar Outfitter there are three average (garden variety) outfits, two incompetent substandard outfits and one total crook. The great Outfitters don't suffer the turnover in guides and cooks that the others do and generally feed and treat ya better. I do a lot of destination hunts and am reviewing different outfitters frequently (you have to use a guide in some places if you wanna hunt) and there are some horrible stories online that you will feel in your groin as you read em. When ya do your homework it is easy to identify the great Outfitters from the rest. Their reviews are consistently good. But don't stop at the review sites like Yelp...look at the posts in forums like this one. Sometimes those are the most detailed and eye-opening.

Last edited:
Just watched "Hollywood Hunter" at 9:30 am. In the lead-up video to the show, Freddy Harteis the host, jumps on an alligator in one of the water tanks on the Ranch with a "Raptor" knife, then has a face-to-face crossbow kill with a Grizzly. Might be worth the $20 grand for all of that excitement.

MtnOyster

WKR
There are good outfitters out there somewhere but I do think the bad outnumber the good prolly 3 to 1, but its also the reason I DIY just about everything I do.
I don't have the time or the money to throw away on a bad hunt, I've been on a bad outfitted hunt (waterfowl) and still don't know why I put myself in that situation with 20 years of waterfowl hunting under my belt, I guess I got lazy but I learned a pretty good lesson and believe me when I tell you the outfitter did to! LOL! But for $5800 for a deer hunt.................................I will take anyone on here on a rifle deer hunt for that amount and guarantee you a buck or hell..............i'll pay you!!!

Poser

WKR
I always have a difficult time wrapping my head around the cost of these types of hunts. These guys paid more for a week of hunting mule deer than I did for a bachelors degree from a state university in the 1990s

I also can't help but think about the fact that $5,800 could easily fetch a hunter 3-5 years of DIY hunting trips, 30-50 days in the field and life experience vs a week. Even if it took you 4 years to kill anything, the amount of skill and knowledge gained during those 30+ days afield would be considerable. I realize that type of hunting isn't for everyone but it's still difficult to wrap my head around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always have a difficult time wrapping my head around the cost of these types of hunts. These guys paid more for a week of hunting mule deer than I did for a bachelors degree from a state university in the 1990s

I also can't help but think about the fact that $5,800 could easily fetch a hunter 3-5 years of DIY hunting trips, 30-50 days in the field and life experience vs a week. Even if it took you 4 years to kill anything, the amount of skill and knowledge gained during those 30+ days afield would be considerable. I realize that type of hunting isn't for everyone but it's still difficult to wrap my head around.

Some people have more money than time.

I get it and agree, for a friggin' deer I wouldn't pay an outfitter. But for a moose I could easily justify the expense. I was in a different country hunting a new species alone in grizz country. Local knowledge and strong calling skills combined with determination to push the envelope resulted in a successful hunt. Now that I know what I'm doing my next moose hunt will be DIY. I paid for my education. I guess we all have our reasons eh?

JP100

WKR
Thats alot of money for a camping trip with a drunk guy!!!!!

They got screwed over big time. Unfortunately it happens.

Did they not have any references? Sign a contract?

I'm still stuck at $5800 per man for a deer? is that what deer hunts go for these days?

That price included tags, which I'm assuming are purchased landowner tags which can be pricey depending on unit. But yeah, if I were to book a hunt I'd be more willing to go with an outfitter with a pricing structure of a lower flat rate with a higher trophy fee, but I'm sure that would bite them in the a$$ as soon as they get a 200 or bust type customer. My buddy told me he has a hookup with a c-tag elk outfitter here in CO that has a trophy fee that is twice as much as the flat rate for 340+ bulls; which I'm assuming is because if you want something smaller than 340 they expect to be done the first day. But plains elk hunting certainly is a different type of hunting and I'm sure they don't have to pay the landowners much as they want them off their land due to the damage they cause to their crops.

I know where he hunts, I am surprised he even offers guided hunts in there. I know he offers the hunts on his website and thought maybe he had some honey hole in there, sounds like he just takes them into a sh*t hole. I've spent some time there and see game every now and then, but not worth setting up a camp and devoting anytime during the season.