e bikes

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody know the definitive laws on e bike usage within USFS, BLM, and Colorado State lands? I've spoke with one officer and they don't seem to have a policy at this time. I have looked at and am impressed with some of the newer bikes but if unable to use on public ground, I would have no use for one.

wapitibob

WKR
Does anybody know the definitive laws on e bike usage within USFS, BLM, and Colorado State lands? I've spoke with one officer and they don't seem to have a policy at this time. I have looked at and am impressed with some of the newer bikes but if unable to use on public ground, I would have no use for one.

There are clear and concise laws for both USFS and BLM.

=====
Forest Service:
File Code: 2300/2350/7700
Subject: Electric Bikes and Trail Management

The Forest Service’s Travel Management Rule (TMR) and E-Bikes:
The TMR defines “motor vehicle” as “any vehicle which is self-propelled, other than:
(1) a vehicle operated on rails; and
(2) any wheelchair or mobility device, including one that is battery-powered, that is designed solely for use by a mobility-impaired person for locomotion, and that is suitable for use in an indoor pedestrian area.”
36 CFR 212.1. E-bikes have a motor, thereby are self propelled, and are not covered by the exceptions in the definition.
Therefore, e-bikes are motor vehicles and are subject to regulation under the TMR, which requires designation of National Forest System (NFS) roads, NFS trails, and areas on NFS lands for motor vehicle use. 36 CFR 212.51(a).

Direction on e-bikes was included in a response in the Federal Register notice for the final over-snow vehicle rule.

The response states: “New technologies that merge bicycles and motors, such as e-bikes, are considered motor vehicles under §212.1 of the TMR.” 80 Fed. Reg. 4503 (Jan. 28, 2015).
====

====
BLM:

Information Bulletin No. 2015-060

An electronic bicycle, also known as an e-bike, is a bicycle with an integrated electric motor. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) classifies e-bikes as motorized vehicles, as defined at 43 CFR 8340.5 “(a) Off-road vehicle means any motorized vehicle capable of, or designed for, travel on or immediately over land, water, or other natural terrain, excluding: (1) any non-amphibious registered motorboat; (2) any military, fire, emergency, or law enforcement vehicle while being used for emergency purposes; (3) any vehicle whose use is expressly authorized by the authorized officer, or otherwise officially approved; (4) vehicles in official use; and (5) any combat or combat support vehicle when used in times of national defense emergencies.”
====

link to FS pdf: http://flagstaffbiking.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/20150929EBikesBriefingPaper.pdf

link to BLM rule: Electronic Powered Bicycles on Public Lands | BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT

After a thorough search I have concluded that they are illegal everywhere you are likely to wanna hunt unless you can access private property, then they are cool.

This is interesting, the guy at the local bike shop was trying to explain that the bikes that are electric assist only, i.e. no throttle to push you have to pedal them, are not considered motorized.

OP

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I have since spoken with a USFS employee and they are definitely considered motorized as Wapati stated. As such they are illegal on any trails or area listed as non motorized. I'm now at the same conclusion as Where"s Bruce. I'll save $3000.00 and keep on backpacking. Thanks for all the info