Finally! Over the gear hurdle

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been gearing up for over two years for an elk hunt. Ive been researching and watching sales. Picking out what I want and waiting for great sales. Some gear just rarely or never goes on sale and those are generally expensive or high quality items. Today, I upgraded my binocs to Swarovski SLC 8x42 with a 10% off coupon.

Optics were my big gear hurdle (money wise). Ive got a Swarovski z5 scope that Ive had for a few years now that really opened the door to my understanding the importance of good optics. I picked up a Razor Hd 16-48x65 spotting scope a few weeks ago. I felt that binocs were going to be the most important part of this journey and it was slowly eating away at me. During the last year Ive been focusing on binocs heavily, and now I finally feel that Im getting there.

Next up, order a bag for my Kifaru frame and a sleep systen!

Felix40

WKR
Are you going on a guided hunt that is already scheduled? Reason I ask is you may be served just as well by spending less on gear and going hunting more often. Just a thought. Nice gear is awesome but doesnt make stuff dead.

AdamW

WKR
Are you going on a guided hunt that is already scheduled? Reason I ask is you may be served just as well by spending less on gear and going hunting more often. Just a thought. Nice gear is awesome but doesnt make stuff dead.

+1. I spent a modest amount on good gear before my first elk hunt last year and none of that gear helped me along in not killing (or seeing) an elk. :D

Good gear is great to have but don't let it keep you from hunting and getting out there. That said, I bought a shelter, stove and then just the other day, some First Lite. :D

Whatever you do, have fun man!

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Good advise - i am planning unguided. Getting out there is hard, Florida is about as bad as it is for getting out there, so thats been a big plan too. Aiming for 2019, but Im super excited to get out there. Ive been doing out of state hunts to help, I just love getting out in to the woods

Jimbob

WKR
I would go hunting with less than ideal gear before not hunting and getting all the best gear. I hunted co elk diy and glass did not help at all. I had a crappy pack, my dad had an army surplus pack and we had no spotting scope and just some ok nikon bino's. It was an awesome time and I sure am happy I didn't put that trip off.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I hunted for about 15 years before I started getting the extra $$$ for good gear. While at this point I have kimber, Kuiu, kifaru, etc, etc. I still killed lots of elk, pronghorns, mule deer and audads with mostly army surplus clothing, an old frame pack, binos that my dad handed down to me and a 270 with a fixed power scope.

Im definetly more comfortable these days but I still hunted a ton and had success every one of those early years.

That being said, elk hunting is cool and Florida sucks for that, if I was in Florida, I'd probably focus a lot on Osceola turkeys and work on scooping up the other breeds over time to get the turkey grand slam. I've managed to get merriams and rio grands but not an eastern even though that would be easy enough to line up. The Osceola is going to be quite the ordeal. I'll be in the reverse boat as you, traveling from AK to FL for hunting.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted for about 15 years before I started getting the extra $$$ for good gear. While at this point I have kimber, Kuiu, kifaru, etc, etc. I still killed lots of elk, pronghorns, mule deer and audads with mostly army surplus clothing, an old frame pack, binos that my dad handed down to me and a 270 with a fixed power scope.

Im definetly more comfortable these days but I still hunted a ton and had success every one of those early years.

That being said, elk hunting is cool and Florida sucks for that, if I was in Florida, I'd probably focus a lot on Osceola turkeys and work on scooping up the other breeds over time to get the turkey grand slam. I've managed to get merriams and rio grands but not an eastern even though that would be easy enough to line up. The Osceola is going to be quite the ordeal. I'll be in the reverse boat as you, traveling from AK to FL for hunting.

Its funny, turkey is something I have very little interest in. With that said, if you make your way to Florida let me know - I can put you in their backyard.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I would probably have titled it "Over the really nice to have, but not really needed hurdle".

Fair. I could spin some nonsense, but the truth is that people did it without binocs for years. I think optics are very important since I have zero way to train for the altitude. I think covering ground via glassing will help that a lot. Id rather buy and cry once.

AdamW

WKR
Reading these posts, don't think that anyone is beating you up. Most everyone likes gear and the only thing better is good quality gear. If you have the gear funds and can't make it until 2019, let the gear buying and learning, e-scouting, etc. keep the fire burning for you. There's a lot of "I'd like to hunt but I don't have the funds for a $1,000 Kifaru frame, bag and pockets setup yet..." type stuff and you don't need it, though it's very nice. A co-worker's dad and brothers have been elk hunting CO and now ID for over a decade and she sent me pics of their 2 bulls this year. They're wearing external frame scout packs from probably the 80s. Compare that to my elk-less failure to my family name. :D

You've got 2 years to upgrade your upgraded gear so I'll keep my eye on the classifieds. The rest of you back off I seens it first! :D

muddydogs

WKR
Fair. I could spin some nonsense, but the truth is that people did it without binocs for years. I think optics are very important since I have zero way to train for the altitude. I think covering ground via glassing will help that a lot. Id rather buy and cry once.

Glassing is all well and good but depending on where you hunt glassing might not be the answer. Ya everything you read on this forum talks about glassing but there are areas that just don't have the elevation difference to make glassing worth while or at least your not setting there all day looking over 100's of miles of country but instead your glassing a couple miles and are constantly moving from one spot to another. Some areas are so thick that you can't see but about a 10th of the ground. If your headed to the Colorado high country then you might be fine but down in AZ or NM well you are going to be covering more ground. So don't think you can rely on bino's instead of strong legs.

muddydogs

WKR
Also not to burst your bubble 8x bino's are the last choice I would make for true Western glassing, about the lowest I would go is 10x and I really like my 12x bino's. If you are doing true Colorado type glassing 8x bino's just don't have the power needed and you will find you are always having to pull out your spotter to get a better look.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
See - I love this forum for reasons like this.

Im aware I could be in thick timber (id feel more at home. Its so thick here you rarely cam see 60 yards). The trick is, I really dont know what it will be like until I get there. I plan to move around and cover ground, If I can glass I will. I think 8 power binocs offer the most versatility. If I went ten power, I really would havt to much power for 90% of the times I can use them. If you cant get enough detail with 8, 10 wont make much difference. But, Id be silly to buy Swarovski binocs and get a power I cant use more often than not.

I can afford some nice gear - so I do. I have to carefully budget the rest of it. And I make no pretense, I really enjoy good optics.

LandYacht

WKR
Congrats on clearing the hurdle! Peace of mind for your first hunt to keep you out there longer. The mental battle is easier when you don’t have to worry about gear or play the “if I only I had bought that thneed” game in your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Gear purchasing is more than half the fun for the trip!!! As far as binos, 8x works great in the timber but 10x definitely better in the more open country.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk