Trip to New Zealand

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, In 9 days I leave for New Zealand on a 5 1/2 month long adventure. I plan to spend most of my time fly fishing and bowhunting. Specifically for Tahr and Chamois. I've done a considerable amount of research but I'm having difficulty finding much on bowhunting these animals. Any advice anyone can tell me about if there are areas that are more conducive to bowhunting, how to bowhunt these critters or hunting them in general would be greatly appreciated. Also anything I should know in regards to traveling there with a bow or the country in general. Thanks in advance! -Nick

ozyclint

WKR
Join the NZfishnhunt forum. Folks there are quite willing to help those such as yourself. Since your going there for that length of time you will probably get offers to join someone for a hunt or fishing trip.

OP
orbowhunt

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Join the NZfishnhunt forum. Folks there are quite willing to help those such as yourself. Since your going there for that length of time you will probably get offers to join someone for a hunt or fishing trip.
Thanks for the advice! I'm in the process of doing that right now

JP100

WKR
Hi all, In 9 days I leave for New Zealand on a 5 1/2 month long adventure. I plan to spend most of my time fly fishing and bowhunting. Specifically for Tahr and Chamois. I've done a considerable amount of research but I'm having difficulty finding much on bowhunting these animals. Any advice anyone can tell me about if there are areas that are more conducive to bowhunting, how to bowhunt these critters or hunting them in general would be greatly appreciated. Also anything I should know in regards to traveling there with a bow or the country in general. Thanks in advance! -Nick

Send me a PM if you want, live here in NZ and have hunted both Tahr and Cham with the bow

Chamois might be easier to creek bash with a bow then to spot and stalk. Shot a 9” at 12 yards tho in the open tops. His probably cousin pinned us do at 400 or so.

Chamois are a lot easier when you get into them. Go west my friend!! Plenty of places to find them in the creeks or above the scrub.

Tahr are a crapshoot man. I’ve shot two worth taking home both less then 50 yards. Mostly have hunted eastern drainages. A good 4x4 can get you to good country. Hunt.

Have fun man. Our first trip was 3 days short of 6 months. Oldest Daughter learned to walk in the Huxley forks hut.

After my third trip now I go surf when it’s shit on the west coast and go hard when she clears.

Shoot me a pm if you get bogged in the coming months. Some ez to get to spots that get over looked. That’s a big hint man.

OP
orbowhunt

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Chamois might be easier to creek bash with a bow then to spot and stalk. Shot a 9” at 12 yards tho in the open tops. His probably cousin pinned us do at 400 or so.

Chamois are a lot easier when you get into them. Go west my friend!! Plenty of places to find them in the creeks or above the scrub.

Tahr are a crapshoot man. I’ve shot two worth taking home both less then 50 yards. Mostly have hunted eastern drainages. A good 4x4 can get you to good country. Hunt.

Have fun man. Our first trip was 3 days short of 6 months. Oldest Daughter learned to walk in the Huxley forks hut.

After my third trip now I go surf when it’s shit on the west coast and go hard when she clears.

Shoot me a pm if you get bogged in the coming months. Some ez to get to spots that get over looked. That’s a big hint man.

Thanks for the help and will do. Definitely going to be a lot of fun.