Where to start, Western Hunt 2018 ?

mrgreen

WKR
I'm heading west!

So, where to start? Literally. I've subscribed to Elk101, read and watched everything that I felt would help, and soaked up everything here for a few years.

I'm driving from the East coast, solo. I figured Colorado is far enough, but I'm open to suggestion.
I can get 2+ weeks away from work, I'm looking at the first 2 weeks of Archery, planning to get there a couple of days early to scout and acclimate.

I've backpacked and camped forever, gear is about the only thing I feel I have squared away. Sleep system, pack, stove all solid. My archery setup should be good (69lbs on the scale at 29in with 450gr arrow).

I guess what I'm looking for is trailhead that's high enough to acclimate while day hiking to scout.

I have read a lot here and learned the following;

-If it's easy to get to= it'll be crowded.

-If the stats show a lot of Deer/Elk= it'll be crowded.

-If it's OTC= it'll be crowded.

-If I only have an Elk tag in my pocket= I'll only see deer. (and vice versa).

Obstacles I'll need to overcome,

- Unfamiliar with the area.

- Worse then useless with a reed call. (demonstrated by my score of 0 for 5 on turkey seasons). I'm working on it, hopefully I won't choke to death while practicing.

In my favor; I'm comfortable solo camping, familiar with my equipment, experienced in hiking and finding more people then I expected (try fly fishing within an hour of any major city in the northeast).

So, I'm looking at this as a cross between Bowhiking and backcountry fishing, with the outside chance of a shot on an animal I wouldn't find otherwise.

But I always try to remember- "You don't know what you don't know.". So this thread is to ask for any TTPs that may shorten my learning curve.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Go to Colorado DOW website and checkout (colorado hunting atlas) . its an interactive map that will overlay everything you need to know to be successful.

WRO

WKR
Oregon has otc deer and elk archery with lots of public land. I'd look at the malheur, Beulah, and north side as starter areas..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You should go to Idaho. Colorado sucks.

Just kidding. I like hunting here, there’s a lot to hunt but it can get crowded. Everyone keeps wanting to get further and further back.....

Colorado DoW has hunt planners that you can call who can assist you in choosing the right unit to fit your needs. You can find the hunt planner number on the cdow website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
-If it's easy to get to= it'll be crowded... FALSE

-If the stats show a lot of Deer/Elk= it'll be crowded... FALSE

-If it's OTC= it'll be crowded... FALSE

-If I only have an Elk tag in my pocket= I'll only see deer. (and vice versa)... TRUE

Get proficient with a reed type cow call - Easy peasy

Learn a couple of bugles - Easy peasy

Get in 'elk shape' [or as close as you can] cardio & legs especially - not so 'easy peasy'

And most important... Elk are where you find em :)

cnelk

WKR
Do a Google search for 'Public Land Elk Hunting' by Matt Dworak

Very, very helpful for newbies

Hall256

WKR
I'm heading west!

So, where to start? Literally. I've subscribed to Elk101, read and watched everything that I felt would help, and soaked up everything here for a few years.

I'm driving from the East coast, solo. I figured Colorado is far enough, but I'm open to suggestion.
I can get 2+ weeks away from work, I'm looking at the first 2 weeks of Archery, planning to get there a couple of days early to scout and acclimate.

I've backpacked and camped forever, gear is about the only thing I feel I have squared away. Sleep system, pack, stove all solid. My archery setup should be good (69lbs on the scale at 29in with 450gr arrow).

I guess what I'm looking for is trailhead that's high enough to acclimate while day hiking to scout.

I have read a lot here and learned the following;

-If it's easy to get to= it'll be crowded.

-If the stats show a lot of Deer/Elk= it'll be crowded.

-If it's OTC= it'll be crowded.

-If I only have an Elk tag in my pocket= I'll only see deer. (and vice versa).

Obstacles I'll need to overcome,

- Unfamiliar with the area.

- Worse then useless with a reed call. (demonstrated by my score of 0 for 5 on turkey seasons). I'm working on it, hopefully I won't choke to death while practicing.

In my favor; I'm comfortable solo camping, familiar with my equipment, experienced in hiking and finding more people then I expected (try fly fishing within an hour of any major city in the northeast).

So, I'm looking at this as a cross between Bowhiking and backcountry fishing, with the outside chance of a shot on an animal I wouldn't find otherwise.

But I always try to remember- "You don't know what you don't know.". So this thread is to ask for any TTPs that may shorten my learning curve.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Just currious, what part of the East coast or you driving from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
I understand your frustration with this. NM is 5 hours away, and I keep putting in and cant get drawn over there. Been wanting to hit Colorado OTC, but I have never had to find a spot to hunt without first visiting it, and having the ability to scout prior. Going to an area without ever having set boots on the ground prior it tough.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I guided in a wilderness unit this year that's OTC and it's not crowded, just rugged, there's a lot of good elk if you're willing to work yo ass off. The hunters we had from the east coast struggled BAD with the elevation, even the ones that were in good shape. The only one that didn't struggle was a 60 yr old guy in ok shape that came out and spent a week and a half scouting before the season opened. He did really good and was able to get to where he needed to be without too much trouble. Best advice, if you can't come out a week ahead of time, get yourself in what you think is the best shape of your life then get in better shape :)

Having two weeks will be really helpful. The two times I have been to Colorado, it took me 3-4 days to get into elk. When you only have a week to hunt, it makes it tough. Every year I have said that if I would have 2-3 more days to hunt, then I would have better success.

Getting out a few days early to acclimate is very smart. You never know how your body will react to the elevation, no matter how good of shape you are in.

I have hunted one of the most popular OTC archery areas over the last two years. Its never been crowded. I have only seen one other hunter off trail. See a few at trailheads and on major trails. Once you get back in, especially if you find some steep canyons or nasty deadfall, you probably won't see anyone. Everyone wants to "go deep" now. I hunted 1-3 miles from major trailheads. Had the woods to myself and i was in elk.

I say you pick a spot and start doing your research. If you can come out, great, if not, oh well. At least you’re out trying. There’s a million dudes who would love to trade places with you and come out to elk hunt. In the meantime you can get into better shape, learn to call and shoot all the time.

young7.3

WKR
You should really consider recruiting a friend or two for this trip. Packing an elk out by yourself is a HUGE undertaking. Having 3 people in your group will also allow you to split up costs and utilized a 3 person triangle calling setup. Either have 2 callers and shooter setup slightly downwind of halfway in between caller and elk, or have two shooters and set up similarly.

Not to mention the peace of mind in case you were to get injured.

texag10

WKR
I went on my first western hunt in CO, OTC archery elk. Arrived the day before season, glassed up some elk, found conditions too crunchy for stalking, so I sat water and killed a bull the 2nd day of season. We camped just off the road and saw massive amounts of trucks, wall tents and trailers, but never saw anyone more than a half mile from the road. The elk I killed was 1 mile from the road.

I had really good luck with Phelps AMP diaphragms, they worked better further forward in my mouth. My Elk101 all star diaphragm made me gag when it was in a position that gave the best sound.

Just go give it a shot and have fun. I was 10 yards from a black bear without it knowing I was there. That experience alone was worth the trip. Good Luck!

cnelk

WKR
Back in 2009, when the 'Go Deep' guys really started their rampage, I completely switched up my elk hunting.
Since then, we have killed over 15 elk less than 1/2 mile from a vehicle - all OTC Public Land

Here is a short video I made early Sept 2015

2015 Archery Elk Movie - YouTube

The pack was 200yds to the truck

Then, on the the last day of the season in 2015, my son connected

2015 Cole Archery Bull Elk - YouTube

The pack was 300yds to the truck

Back in 2009, when the 'Go Deep' guys really started their rampage, I completely switched up my elk hunting.
Since then, we have killed over 15 elk less than 1/2 mile from a vehicle - all OTC Public Land

Here is a short video I made early Sept 2015

2015 Archery Elk Movie - YouTube

The pack was 200yds to the truck

Then, on the the last day of the season in 2015, my son connected

2015 Cole Archery Bull Elk - YouTube

The pack was 300yds to the truck

How do ya manage two elk tags at the same time?