New hunting rifle

Ok guys I need some opinions from the gun guys on here. Looking to go out west multiple times over the next couple years. I will be trying to start with antelope then move on to elk and mule deer. I am looking to buy a new rifle chambered in 6.5. I allready have a .308 and 7mm rem mag. This will be used as a lightweight cover a ton of ground kind of rifle (similar to mountain rifle). I've studied alot on the Kimber Montana and ascent/Adirondack. Way to many displeased people it looks like with these guns and since I am no expert, i am not sure if it's the right gun for me. It has the camo finish I want and the lightweight plus doesn't look it needs a ton of upgrades... so after more research, I am now looking at a tikka t3x lite stainless. I will buy the aftermarket kit for this. My biggest question is, what is the reason people drop another $800 on the McMillan stocks? It's literally more expensive than the rifle itself?? I'm confused here. Would I be smart to buy the rifle, add the upgrades then add the stock a year or 2 later? I allready have great vortex razor scope new in the box just waiting. Am I better off going with the sako? Or would that need upgrades as well? I am looking to shoot out to 400 yards to start and maybe push that as I get used to the gun. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Why not put a light weight McMillan on your 7mm and call it a day? I would look at a Tikka. Light, accurate and affordable. 400 yards is not that far and can be handled out of the box. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JP100

WKR
Ok guys I need some opinions from the gun guys on here. Looking to go out west multiple times over the next couple years. I will be trying to start with antelope then move on to elk and mule deer. I am looking to buy a new rifle chambered in 6.5. I allready have a .308 and 7mm rem mag. This will be used as a lightweight cover a ton of ground kind of rifle (similar to mountain rifle). I've studied alot on the Kimber Montana and ascent/Adirondack. Way to many displeased people it looks like with these guns and since I am no expert, i am not sure if it's the right gun for me. It has the camo finish I want and the lightweight plus doesn't look it needs a ton of upgrades... so after more research, I am now looking at a tikka t3x lite stainless. I will buy the aftermarket kit for this. My biggest question is, what is the reason people drop another $800 on the McMillan stocks? It's literally more expensive than the rifle itself?? I'm confused here. Would I be smart to buy the rifle, add the upgrades then add the stock a year or 2 later? I allready have great vortex razor scope new in the box just waiting. Am I better off going with the sako? Or would that need upgrades as well? I am looking to shoot out to 400 yards to start and maybe push that as I get used to the gun. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Whats the 7mag you have already???
no need to buy a new gun if you have one that can fit the bill already

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with others here: if it were me, spend some $ on the 7mm. True the action, new barrel, stock, trigger and you'll be far ahead of most any factory rifle you can find.
Batlien barrel:300
Trigger tech trigger: 150
New stock:3-700
Gun smith: 3-500

Just to beat a dead horse further.. there's nothing you won't be able to do with a 7mm. From predators to elk... you're covered in that 1 rifle.

FYI from everything I can tell, kimber has remedied most of not all of their issues from days gone by. If you look at any of the semi custo. Rifle companies (fierce, Christensen, etc...) you'll find a displeased customer here and there. It's a tough pill sometimes to swallow to spend $2k on a rifle and have someone next to you at the range printing better paper with a $350 ruger American and bushnell scope. Ultimately it's up to you but personally I believe kimber rifles are some of the most well made guns for the money.

That said I also own a tikka, one of the older t3 models before the removable grips.. You will absolutely be happy with the accuracy of a tikka. As far as Tupperware stocked guns go, tikka has one of the best so I wouldn't lose sleep over upgrading the stock on a tikka. I still don't know what you'd gain by not shooting your current 7mm at everything. Manners, McMillan, etc are generally worth the price paid but other than feel and durability I wouldn't expect to see leaps a bounds in accuracy on a tikka simply because it's already accurate.

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Nothing wrong with "needing" a new rifle and if you like the 6.5, great. I find that I like both the Tikka and the Kimber.
Of those that I have, they all shoot very well.

So get out there, fondle them and when one feels right, add it to your collection.

OP
TonySkyline
Right now I have a TC Venture with weathershield 7mm rem mag. Very accurate and great gun. May use that for elk/moose when needed. I think it's a bit overkill for antelope though. After seeing what it does to whitetail here in N.Y., I wouldn't mind getting another rifle. My .308 is a model 11 long range high precision rifle and is waaay to heavy to take to the hills with. It's a target gun.

AdamW

WKR
If you're wanting a new rifle, I won't try to stop you. If it were me, and it's not, I'd be looking at a T3X Lite Stainless in .308. It will do everything you described with more oomph than a 6.5. You've got a .308 that's out of the equation due to weight and a 7mm that you don't really want to use due to meat damage; all fair points. Having a light, accurate rifle in a capable cartridge is a great niche. If you want it in 6.5 go for it.

matthewmt

WKR
I have a t3x lite compact (20"bbl) in 308 and it shoots very well. More of a medium contour bbl but I like that actually. Sounds like t3x is available in 6.5 now. Nothing wrong with a factory rifle/stock. Sure later upgrade some things if you'd like.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
TonySkyline
I thought the 6.5 has less drop than the .308? Will the 6.5 in a heavier grain bullet take down mule deer and pronghorn? I seen another thread and it said the 6.5 is similar to the 300 win mag as far as flat shooting accuracy and distance. Just didn't have the force when it hits

One thing to keep in mind with tikka's is they use a one size fits all action.... so you don't save anything by going to a short action rifle. If you're looking for a flat shooting rifle for antelope you might consider a 25-06 in a tikka. I love tikka's but the normal reasons for getting a short action vs. long are moot when they only use one action. If your heart is set on the creed then go with it, your money so only you can decide what's best....

The ballistics of the 7mm make it great gun for antelope. You'll need something that really bucks the wind. The wind always blows in Wyoming, which I would assume is where your planning an antelope hunt.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I thought the 6.5 has less drop than the .308? Will the 6.5 in a heavier grain bullet take down mule deer and pronghorn? I seen another thread and it said the 6.5 is similar to the 300 win mag as far as flat shooting accuracy and distance. Just didn't have the force when it hits

I shot an antelope two years ago with a 6.5 CM and it blew through and kept going. They are not big animals. A .243 is probably more than fine for pronghorn. The 6.5 will do the same to mule deer. Use a good bullet, and I bet you won’t find it in the animal. Especially a Barnes.

I’m the guy with a $325 Ruger American Preditor and a $300 scope shooting sub MOA all day at the range. You don’t have to spend much to shoot accurately. Having said that, my next rifle will probably be a Winchester M70 Super Grade, when the Winchester XPR Vias in 6.5 would do fine.

The 6.5 CM does shoot flatter than a .308, and the .308 guys hate that fact. It’s not a ton flatter in the CM, but with a lighter bullet and better BC, it does shoot a hair flatter. But really no more than your 7mm RM. If you study your own ballistic drop charts with whatever gun you use, and get a rangefinder, either the 6.5 or .308 caliber would do fine. Hell, anything more than a wrist rocket would work. The Leupold Rx-1200 when programmed correctly will tell you the holdover for your caliber in inches, mils, or MOA for your caliber and gun! Unless your .308 or 7mm RM weigh 12 lbs, I’m betting either gun would do great. The 6.5 CM isn’t all it’s worked up to be. I shoot it the most now days, but most guns kill stuff just as dead. It’s a nifty cartridge, but it’s not magic.

Jimbob

WKR
No reason that you MUST upgrade a tikka, it performs stock just fine. However if you want to upgrade for the sake of saving some weight and having fun with a project then go for it. Wildcat stocks in Canada is the best option economically if you want to restock a tikka.

Man oh man I never seen such a pile of stuff Matadors step in on here before. No reason to buy a new gun, are you guys smoking crack? Of course you need another rifle, probably two or three and a crapton of ammo and probably a bigger gunsafe too. I don't know W-T-F these other guys are thinking, they must be new. This is rokslide and you always need more!

Man oh man I never seen such a pile of stuff Matadors step in on here before. No reason to buy a new gun, are you guys smoking crack? Of course you need another rifle, probably two or three and a crapton of ammo and probably a bigger gunsafe too. I don't know W-T-F these other guys are thinking, they must be new. This is rokslide and you always need more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VernAK

WKR
Just to beat a dead horse further.. there's nothing you won't be able to do with a 7mm. From predators to elk... you're covered in that 1 rifle.

FYI from everything I can tell, kimber has remedied most of not all of their issues from days gone by. If you look at any of the semi custo. Rifle companies (fierce, Christensen, etc...) you'll find a displeased customer here and there. It's a tough pill sometimes to swallow to spend $2k on a rifle and have someone next to you at the range printing better paper with a $350 ruger American and bushnell scope. Ultimately it's up to you but personally I believe kimber rifles are some of the most well made guns for the money.

That said I also own a tikka, one of the older t3 models before the removable grips.. You will absolutely be happy with the accuracy of a tikka. As far as Tupperware stocked guns go, tikka has one of the best so I wouldn't lose sleep over upgrading the stock on a tikka. I still don't know what you'd gain by not shooting your current 7mm at everything. Manners, McMillan, etc are generally worth the price paid but other than feel and durability I wouldn't expect to see leaps a bounds in accuracy on a tikka simply because it's already accurate.

I own and have shot several Kimbers over the past decade and I just haven't seen all the issues that some have seen. I have one in 22-250 that was slow to break in but all my Kimbers shoot very well. The 84L model is an absolute delight to carry......in hand without sling.....

It does seem that Kimber has had some severe customer service issues.

With the current drop in firearms sales, manufacturers will have to be paying attention one would think.

OP
TonySkyline
Am I better off buying a Kimber mountain ascent? It looks like that rifle does not need the upgrades that the tikka does.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
More is always better , does your wives stop at one pair of shoes ? If you want a new gun for a new adventure buy it. If you want to modify a existing do that . Hell do both .

PF_JM

FNG
Am I better off buying a Kimber mountain ascent? It looks like that rifle does not need the upgrades that the tikka does.

Don't overthink it too much both of those rifles will exceed your needs. As far as the Tikka needing upgrades, I would say "need' is a strong word. Out of the box it is a shooter and designed very well. Me personally, I would go with the Tikka, run it ragged and tweak it as necessary, if necessary.