New hunting rifle

Am I better off buying a Kimber mountain ascent? It looks like that rifle does not need the upgrades that the tikka does.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am shooting, a bone "Stock", Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in .270 WSM, all I did, was add, a Limb Saver pad (screws right on, fits nicely, $29.00 from, EBay !) Unscrewed, the "bottom metal", Receiver screws, pulled Alum Recoil Lug out with, Pliers then, "dropped in" a STEEL recoil lug (cost $25.00 shipped ) turned the Trigger Adjusting Screw all the way back ( 2 lb Trig ) while Gun apart re-torqued the rec screws, mounted scope and,.. wa la,.. 7 consecutive Sub MOA groups !

OP
TonySkyline
What was the total cost on the tikka all set up? I was going to do the same things but add the knurled bolt handle and picatanny rail if needed. Also how is the stock on the t3x lite? If I have to replace the stock on that and the Kimber is allready bedded , I might be ahead with the Kimber in the long run and actually save money. I have a tendency to over think things especially hunting things (i have way to much gear). I'll probably need anxiety meds like a snowflake when I go to buy the rifle just because I can't decide, lol. I have a whole to think about it though.

OP
TonySkyline
*while to think about it I meant. No hurry as I won't be using it until next hunting season so I have until August basically to have it set up the way I want it and have a good start with having the scope so far

elkguide

WKR
*while to think about it I meant. No hurry as I won't be using it until next hunting season so I have until August basically to have it set up the way I want it and have a good start with having the scope so far

I hope that you get it WAY before August so that you can shoot and carry it a bunch to get familiar with it.

Bcole82

FNG
I would look at buying a Howa barreled action paired with an aluminum bedded Hogue Stock, probably cost you around $850. Pair that with your choice of high grade glass and you will have a gun that’s capable of 1000yds no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bcole82

FNG
I thought the 6.5 has less drop than the .308? Will the 6.5 in a heavier grain bullet take down mule deer and pronghorn? I seen another thread and it said the 6.5 is similar to the 300 win mag as far as flat shooting accuracy and distance. Just didn't have the force when it hits

The 6.5 is a great all around caliber, it’s definitely more than capable of taking down elk.

Last edited:
OP
TonySkyline
The 6.5 is a great all around caliber, it’s definitely more than capable of taking down elk. It hits like a 300 with the kick of a .308, it will for sure be my next caliber.

This is what I needed to hear! Like I said before I have a nice 7mm and a very nice long range high precision rifle in .308 (bench gun as it's heavy as hell) . I might even trade that savage .308 for another rifle I will actually use. I live in upstate New York where their is not many places you can shoot over 300 yards or even a range that has the space for it. Maybe I trade that for another .308 and still get the 6.5..... hmmmm. On the flip side, it's nice to have a rifle capable of reaching out there as a sniper type just in case the zombies come, lol. See how I over think these things. Kept me up till 3am last night watching episodes of meateater wishing I had his rifle and was in Idaho in his secret blm spot for mule deer!

HookUp

WKR
Look at the Browning Hells canyon speed and western hunters. They have a very nice stock and trigger for a ready to hunt gun.

OP
TonySkyline
3-15x vortex razor HD LH scope I got off camofire over the summer. This is my start to this rifle..
07e405bb573736fc6f810cf9d3c99303.jpg

OP
TonySkyline
Anyone else have this scope? Did I make a good decision for use out west with this thing?
23a0a8e1994fba91cd752f33d09f70df.jpg

Bcole82

FNG
This is what I needed to hear! Like I said before I have a nice 7mm and a very nice long range high precision rifle in .308 (bench gun as it's heavy as hell) . I might even trade that savage .308 for another rifle I will actually use. I live in upstate New York where their is not many places you can shoot over 300 yards or even a range that has the space for it. Maybe I trade that for another .308 and still get the 6.5..... hmmmm. On the flip side, it's nice to have a rifle capable of reaching out there as a sniper type just in case the zombies come, lol. See how I over think these things. Kept me up till 3am last night watching episodes of meateater wishing I had his rifle and was in Idaho in his secret blm spot for mule deer!

If you haven’t looked at the 7mm 08, it’s worth looking at also. Very comparable ballistics to the 6.5, and I think you can find it a little easier.

Honestly you seem very indecisive about what you want. Kimber and tikka are both fantastic rifles but very different... I would suggest you decide on its use, set a budget, pick a caliber and look it the top end of what you can afford. If that's a tikka? Great... if it's a kimber? Also great... truth is if you have nearly $2k to drop on a rifle you have ALOT of open doors vs 600 or 700 on a tikka.

Based on what you've outlined both with intended use and budget here's what id do: id be looking at a kimber in a 270 (simply so I could use it for elk and antelope alike) followed closely by a 7-08 (if you reload maybe a 280 AI). I'm not sold yet on the 6.5 just because I've seen so many new sexy calibers come and go. Kimber or fierce or Christensen: Theyve got everything you want. Needing to upgrade a tikka is like "needing" to upgrade to the gmc Denali package. Neccesart? Not at all... wanted? That's up to you... if you started out wanting a tikka inna 6.5 don't let me or anyone else tell you to buy something different.

FYI that scope will work fine

Last edited:

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
I killed a bull this year at 232 yds with a 260 shooting 130 gr. Scirocco. He never took a step.

The 6.5 is a great all around caliber, it’s definitely more than capable of taking down elk. It hits like a 300 with the kick of a .308, it will for sure be my next caliber.

While I agree it is fully capable of taking down elk, it does not and will not hit like a 300 Win mag.

Mike

Bcole82

FNG
While I agree it is fully capable of taking down elk, it does not and will not hit like a 300 Win mag.

Mike

Ballistics don’t lie, but I’m not going to argue with you.

Bcole82

FNG
Agreed....
140vld hunting at 2850 fps
ecfa937ca039da1719e9cc5572c65819.jpg

215 Berger at 2990 fps
ae93a3762cf0833020f7b25bcb80ced2.jpg

Mike

Well you’re obviously not going to compare loads like that, the 300 is way more versatile when it comes to shooting a wife range of grains.

Well you’re obviously not going to compare loads like that, the 300 is way more versatile when it comes to shooting a wife range of grains.

How else would we compare them to argue the fact that a 6.5 CM does or does not “hit” like a 300 Win mag?

Mike

Bcole82

FNG
How else would we compare them to argue the fact that a 6.5 CM does or does not “hit” like a 300 Win mag?

Mike

You just compared a 140 grain bullet to a 215 grainer of course the 300 will hit with way more force. Let me be more specific, the 6.5 has the same muzzle velocity and trajectory while having a better BC on many loads. By no means was I saying that you can take a 140 grain bullet and expect it to hit as hard as a 215 grain bullet, that’s just silly.

You just compared a 140 grain bullet to a 215 grainer of course the 300 will hit with way more force. Let me be more specific, the 6.5 has the same muzzle velocity and trajectory while having a better BC on many loads. By no means was I saying that you can take a 140 grain bullet and expect it to hit as hard as a 215 grain bullet, that’s just silly.

So what load in a 300 Win mag are you comparing a 6.5 to? Im clearly misunderstanding your position here. Anything 30 caliber and 140 grain loads will not have as good of BC as a 6.5 140 grain bullet due to the larger bullet diameter and thus shorter bullet OAL to maintain 140 grain’s of weight.

What do you think happens when you push equal weight bullets out of either chamber? 140 grain out of a 300 Win I’m guessing would easily be pushing 3450fps. It may have a lower BC, it’s going to take a LOT of BC to make up the difference of 600fps.

Mike