plantar fasciitis, the last 10%

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
For you guys who have rehabbed PF, when did you start exercising again? I've had it since last march, 90% of the pain is gone but just can't get to 100. Is this just the new reality? Wanted to start exercising again but worried it will just blow back up.

I was just diagnosed with PF. Got some different insoles, as prescribed by the doctor but haven’t changed anything. After a long day I soak my feet in epsom salt and hot water. It seems to be about the only thing that feels like it’s working.

Great question: I have been battling it for 3+ years. I got to 90% once and regressed very quickly but I am 43, not 23. Your age probably makes a difference in recovery. I am currently getting shock wave therapy. The doc said if that doesn’t work, I get surgery. The point being it also depends on how long you have the issue. I know heavy packs make it worse!! I am very scared my heavy pack days are over. Good luck in your healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I stretch most every day- doesn't flare up hardy ever. I switched to some insoles in all my shoes,boots etc, and rarely walk barefoot.
Seems to help keep it under control

bates

WKR
it took me a solid year to get fully recovered.

and i didnt run much at all that entire time, i was ok at where you are at to get on the threadmill but i did and still do stretch alot. i would do drop stretches on the stairs daily, lots of work to loosen and stretch my calves

i feel the hardest part is the pacing when you do start to come back not to overdo it

OP
Odell

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Great question: I have been battling it for 3+ years. I got to 90% once and regressed very quickly but I am 43, not 23. Your age probably makes a difference in recovery. I am currently getting shock wave therapy. The doc said if that doesn’t work, I get surgery. The point being it also depends on how long you have the issue. I know heavy packs make it worse!! I am very scared my heavy pack days are over. Good luck in your healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m 45. Feels like I’ll never be the same again lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Ive had a couple bouts of it. The best things Ive found is to place your toes on the edge of a stair tread, and stretch your heel down for several seconds. Repeat with other foot. Do this 3-4 times a day.

I also freeze a Gatorade bottle of water.
I roll it with the bottom of my foot. The cold and the ridges of the bottle help the PF

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
My girlfriend had this too. The doctor made her some custom insoles that were crazy expensive. She moved them from shoe to shoe for a while. It helped her a lot, as a matter of fact it went away after about 9 months. She stretched for a year or so on a daily basis.

After about 6 months in, she went to a specialized running shoe store that had her walk across a machine that measured the feet pressure, gait, etc. They set her up with some insoles that were around $50-$75. She’s been getting them there ever since when she buys new athletic shoes.

Been gone for over 4 years.

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I have found three things really helpful. Roll your foot over a lacrosse ball a few times per day from front to back. This helps loosen the tightness and relieves the tension and pain. Secondly, you can get frankincense and myrrh massage oils. Rub this into your foot every night and it truly helps. Lastly, I have found acupuncture a few times per month to help tremendously. Hope this helps. Good luck.
gg

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've brought this up several times, and each time guys think I am crazy, or just stupid, or both. But, here is what worked for me. I suffered from Plantar Fascitis pain off and on for a couple years. It started getting worse, especiially if I was on my feet all day. I read about going barefoot and minimal shoes as a potential cure, and decided to give it a shot. Mainly because the idea of orthotics and other measures just seem like "crutches" and not something that would ever cure it. The idea behind barefoot and minimal shoes is that your feet, ankles, and muscles strengthen to support your body in a way that mother nature intended.
So, I started by wearing nothing but minimal, zero heel-toe drop shoes. I stretched alot, and even started trail running in minimal shoes. Fast forward now 4 or so years, and I have not had foot pain in years. The only down side is that I am not able to wear any shoes or boots that have any sort of heel-toe drop, anything I wear pretty much has to be close to barefoot. It makes finding boots for hunting more difficult, but not impossible. (russel moccasins, bellville mini-mil army boots, etc.)
I know its not something that is going to work for every person, and every persons case of PF is different. But, its worked for me, and I find it telling that any of these PF threads that pop up, there is always a faction of people just like me that have found permanent relief in going barefoot, so I know I am not a total anomaly!

hflier

WKR
I am 55. Had a case of PF.

Gone now. Here is what I did.

Exercise regularly.
High quality boots with Lathrop insoles.
Take a dose of Calcium, Magnesium and fish oil daily (amazing results once I did this).
The tennis ball thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I had Plantar's Fasciitis so bad that I needed a cane to walk. I found a place called Structura Body Therapies in Utah and they completely cured my pain. They use a form of deep tissue massage that is different in that they concentrate on the fascia rather than the muscles. Their theory is that a trained therapist can follow the strands of fascia and reorganize them. I've been pain free for over 4 years now. They taught me to use the ball therapy (rolling a small ball along the tender spot on my feet) when I feel the problem start to come back and it works very well. If you run your thumb along the painful areas of your feet you'll feel cracking and popping and hear small snapping noises, that's the fascia being reorganized back to their natural condition (they get bound up), that is the essence of their therapy. If you rub on those pain areas and follow the fascia you'll eventually remove the pain and get your range of motion back.

Billinsd

WKR
I tried everything and what cured it was massaging Diclofenac gel with a body massager Amazon.com: Wahl Deep Tissue Percussion Therapeutic Electric Massager for Muscle, Back, Neck, Shoulder, Leg, Full Body Pain Relief, Gift for Men/Women/Mom/Dad, by Brand used by Professionals #04290-300: Health & Personal Care on my plantar facia while streching my toes, releasing them and then stretching them again. I use green superfeet orthotics in all my shoes. This cured me and has worked when the fascitis has come back.

I stretch most every day- doesn't flare up hardy ever. I switched to some insoles in all my shoes,boots etc, and rarely walk barefoot.
Seems to help keep it under control

NEVER EVER EVER EVER walk barefooted!!!! Did I say never!!!!! When I get flare ups the pain is so bad I will be down for 12 plus hours.

OP
Odell

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I've brought this up several times, and each time guys think I am crazy, or just stupid, or both. But, here is what worked for me. I suffered from Plantar Fascitis pain off and on for a couple years. It started getting worse, especiially if I was on my feet all day. I read about going barefoot and minimal shoes as a potential cure, and decided to give it a shot. Mainly because the idea of orthotics and other measures just seem like "crutches" and not something that would ever cure it. The idea behind barefoot and minimal shoes is that your feet, ankles, and muscles strengthen to support your body in a way that mother nature intended.
So, I started by wearing nothing but minimal, zero heel-toe drop shoes. I stretched alot, and even started trail running in minimal shoes. Fast forward now 4 or so years, and I have not had foot pain in years. The only down side is that I am not able to wear any shoes or boots that have any sort of heel-toe drop, anything I wear pretty much has to be close to barefoot. It makes finding boots for hunting more difficult, but not impossible. (russel moccasins, bellville mini-mil army boots, etc.)
I know its not something that is going to work for every person, and every persons case of PF is different. But, its worked for me, and I find it telling that any of these PF threads that pop up, there is always a faction of people just like me that have found permanent relief in going barefoot, so I know I am not a total anomaly!

That's interesting because the prevailing advice is never go barefoot

frosty_1

FNG
I have had a very similar experience to Titan_Bow. Battled PF for years while working in the restaurant industry, many long hours on my feet. Read a post a few years ago about going barefoot and now my feet are pain free. I wear Vivo Barefoots, Vans, New Balance Minimus, etc. I also train jiu jitsu and do leg exercises calf raises with zero issues.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That's interesting because the prevailing advice is never go barefoot

And yet those who follow the prevailing advice almost always have long term or lifetime issues. Your feet were made to support your body, carry you and weight. Shoes and especially "supportive" shoes make your feet weak which eventually causes damage.

Backgraound-

I work, and have worked at places where it's people have a high degree of foot issues (among others) related to hiking/rucking and overuse running injuries. The vast, VAST majority of issues we see such as PF are from weak feet- almost always they are the people that "need" supportive insoles and "ankle support" and won't walk across their lawn without without insoles and stiff boots. The first thing I do is start them on a program to get them out of supportive implements and into very minimal shoes. This has worked 100%. To date I have not seen a person who has properly strengthened their feet have any foot issues with minimal shoes even when carrying 100+ pound loads long distances.

The key is "properly strengthened". The main problem, and the reason for the biggest naysayers, of barefoot or minimal shoes is that 1st would people have bitch feet. Our feet have been in "supports" since before we could walk. Those supports have eliminated the foots ability and need to grow bone density, ligament, tendon and muscle strength needed to control the foot, ankle and lower legs- to say nothing of knee and lower back problems. When these people throw on a minimal show and go run 2-5 miles they are nearly crippled. In some cases they are crippled. Well duh, bro. Your feet have never had to support you before. You MUST train your feet and legs do the work. Slowly, and correctly. If you do that, you can get out of all the supports and just walk.

OP
Odell

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
And yet those who follow the prevailing advice almost always have long term or lifetime issues. Your feet were made to support your body, carry you and weight. Shoes and especially "supportive" shoes make your feet weak which eventually causes damage.

Backgraound-

I work, and have worked at places where it's people have a high degree of foot issues (among others) related to hiking/rucking and overuse running injuries. The vast, VAST majority of issues we see such as PF are from weak feet- almost always they are the people that "need" supportive insoles and "ankle support" and won't walk across their lawn without without insoles and stiff boots. The first thing I do is start them on a program to get them out of supportive implements and into very minimal shoes. This has worked 100%. To date I have not seen a person who has properly strengthened their feet have any foot issues with minimal shoes even when carrying 100+ pound loads long distances.

The key is "properly strengthened". The main problem, and the reason for the biggest naysayers, of barefoot or minimal shoes is that 1st would people have bitch feet. Our feet have been in "supports" since before we could walk. Those supports have eliminated the foots ability and need to grow bone density, ligament, tendon and muscle strength needed to control the foot, ankle and lower legs- to say nothing of knee and lower back problems. When these people throw on a minimal show and go run 2-5 miles they are nearly crippled. In some cases they are crippled. Well duh, bro. Your feet have never had to support you before. You MUST train your feet and legs do the work. Slowly, and correctly. If you do that, you can get out of all the supports and just walk.

I can see some wisdom in strengthening the foot to prevent PF but don't see how adding stress will heal an already injured foot. That goes against everything I know about how the body heals. You wouldn't apply that same logic to a sprained ankle, torn ligament or muscle or broken bone. Instead you immobilize them and protect them so they can heal and you don't keep reinjuring in the process. I also recall a few lawsuits on minimalist shoe companies making those same claims as the science isn't there.

My girlfriend had this too. The doctor made her some custom insoles that were crazy expensive. She moved them from shoe to shoe for a while. It helped her a lot, as a matter of fact it went away after about 9 months. She stretched for a year or so on a daily basis.

After about 6 months in, she went to a specialized running shoe store that had her walk across a machine that measured the feet pressure, gait, etc. They set her up with some insoles that were around $50-$75. She’s been getting them there ever since when she buys new athletic shoes.

Been gone for over 4 years.

Would you mind sharing where that store is?