Gift ideas for children

SWOHTR

WKR
Question for you guys out there: What are some good gift ideas for young kids, even infants and toddlers? I have a 6 month old son. I'm going to buy him a lifetime hunting license in Idaho this year, but am struggling with ideas for the future.

Other thoughts? "Timeless" things that are kid-appropriate, so to speak (so not a .300 Win Mag). My idea is to get him one nice outdoor-related item per year, so not "Dan the Bowhunter" or whatever those toys are. With any luck, he will adopt an interest in the outdoors and have a few nice things.

Thanks,

Joe

AdamW

WKR
The lifetime hunting license thing is a cool idea. My dad bought me a .22 when I was born, which I still shoot today. I feel like kids getting "stuff" for Christmas is a big waste a lot of times, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

adamm88

WKR
A nice knife thats engraved with there name, it would be a keepsake and useful for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
They won't remember at that age, so why waste too much energy!

I'm half kidding. For my kids, now a bit older, I tried to buy things to get the whole family outdoors. A Kelty kid carrier, BOB jogging stroller, or something similar might be an idea. Maybe proper winter clothing. Anything to enable outdoor time. True, it's partly for you or your wife, but a 6-month-old will love the time outside too.

I'm also following for my older kids. Always looking for an opportunity to get them outside.

Good clothing that allows him to stay outside. Gloves, hats, snowsuit etc.
Next year when he's 1.5 he'll want to be outside all winter.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
I opened a savings account for my little one and put $$$ in it on birthdays and Xmas. I have a hard time wasting money on junk that they will grow out of or get tired of in a week. I let grandmas, aunts, uncles, etc. buy the toys. They will appreciate it when they turn 16 and want to buy a car.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Boxes from the stuff that you're thinking about buying them.

Yep. They'll play with the box for hours.

You could buy them shares of stock in high quality companies every year. They aren't very exciting for a 6 month old, but they probably will be when they leave home.

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
All good ideas. I am in the same boat with the “toys” and “stuff” - I would rather get them boring useful things than temporarily exciting things.

Trial153

WKR
I order a custom knife for my son as Christmas gift yearly. I figure its something he will have for life. Its also sonething that holds it value,as i am sure to order from makers that are in demand.

Maybe not a 300wm but a 243 or 7-08 would be appropriate in the coming years.... when I did that I got some flack from relatives that we're on the other side of the political fence (when mass shootings were really starting to become prominent).

It's easy to look someone in the eye in regards to thinking a kid shouldn't own a gun and tell them "kids that grow up hunting, fishing or trapping don't mug little old ladies"...... saw that on a bumper sticker once, never forgot it.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought each of my daughters a pink .22 when they were born, turns out the oldest doesn't like pink. As they got a little older, I bought each of them fishing poles as well (one pink and one black this time). The best thing I can say that we have done so far is buy them good gear for each season. Keep them warm when it's cold, cool when it's hot and dry when it's raining, they'll have just as much fun as you outside. It's expensive to buy new but you can find quality used kids gear, a lot of the time with the tags still on it.

Best tip I can give to grow their love is to take them early, sooner the better, don't wait until they're "old enough".

Grumman

WKR
I wouldn’t jump too far ahead on rifles or bows until you figure out eye and hand dominance. I made that mistake...

Also I need to take my own advice here with my kids and just expose them to different types of hunting while they are young. My old man was strictly a deer and squirrel hunter. It wasn’t until later in my life I discovered waterfowl, rabbit, and turkey hunting. So I think doing different hunts with them would be great gifts, and the memories with you will be worth as much to them later in life than an expensive item.

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
Best tip I can give to grow their love is to take them early, sooner the better, don't wait until they're "old enough".

Definitely. I started going deer hunting when I was 5. Didn't carry a rifle/shotgun until I was 14. Now I enjoy the hell out of it!

My dad is not a hunter, but sometimes when I was younger we would go pheasant hunting with my grandpa and uncles. He made me walk 10 yards in front, no shotgun, and told me to get down if a bird popped up.

Don't do that.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Keep a journal of your hunting experiences with details about more than just the hunting aspects.
It may be a while but this will be important one day.
The "gifts" at this age are mostly for the Dad lol.

R

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I opened a savings account for my little one and put $$$ in it on birthdays and Xmas. I have a hard time wasting money on junk that they will grow out of or get tired of in a week. I let grandmas, aunts, uncles, etc. buy the toys. They will appreciate it when they turn 16 and want to buy a car.

Taking this even further, savings account for an epic hunt with his/her old man down the road a few years