Had to have it done. Rotator Cuff

Mmcan

WKR
After fighting through any number of issues with my right shoulder, I finally had arthroscopic repair 2 weeks ago.

Subacromial decompression to relieve Impingement Syndrome and bone spurs
Distal clavicle resection/Acromio-clavicular joint resection to remove osteophytes and sever arthritis in that joint
SLAP tear repair
repair biceps tear (was shredded by the impingement issue and osteophytes/bone spurs)
re-insert biceps into humerus
repair supraspinatus muscle tear
reattach supraspinatus tendon to humerus
4 anchors into the bone

HOLY $H!T
The WORST pain I've ever experienced for the first week.

And I'm so glad I had it done.

You will know when you need to have it fixed. Can't sleep bc of pain. OTC meds don't help. Can't use your arm/shoulder in the normal ways, and then you use your wrist and elbow too much and end up causing pain there too.
And you can't do the things you normally do that make you "you".

Hopeful that I'll be able to bow hunt again next fall. Time will tell. And PT is going to be key.

Anyone else who has had this surgery have anything to impart on the others with similar problems and they're contemplating surgery?

akrdkill

WKR
listen to your dr & PT....take it easy or you'll just set yourself back...you'll be hunting next fall....I was back in about 6 mo to normal arm use

I tore my biceps tendon last April and hunted in September. I did about triple the rehab at a pace that was comfortable. Not really a bad recovery. Good luck to you.

Elkchayser

Lil-Rokslider
After fighting through any number of issues with my right shoulder, I finally had arthroscopic repair 2 weeks ago.

Subacromial decompression to relieve Impingement Syndrome and bone spurs
Distal clavicle resection/Acromio-clavicular joint resection to remove osteophytes and sever arthritis in that joint
SLAP tear repair
repair biceps tear (was shredded by the impingement issue and osteophytes/bone spurs)
re-insert biceps into humerus
repair supraspinatus muscle tear
reattach supraspinatus tendon to humerus
4 anchors into the bone

HOLY $H!T
The WORST pain I've ever experienced for the first week.

And I'm so glad I had it done.

You will know when you need to have it fixed. Can't sleep bc of pain. OTC meds don't help. Can't use your arm/shoulder in the normal ways, and then you use your wrist and elbow too much and end up causing pain there too.
And you can't do the things you normally do that make you "you".

Hopeful that I'll be able to bow hunt again next fall. Time will tell. And PT is going to be key.

Anyone else who has had this surgery have anything to impart on the others with similar problems and they're contemplating surgery?

I’ve had a similar surgery PT very painful but be patient work hard it will heal I’m got as good as new but pain free hard to build the strength I used to have but at 54 I’ll take the results!! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MontanaPT

FNG
I am an outpatient PT. The biggest advice is take it slow, follow the doctor and PTs advice/restrictions. My first advice to patients is to protect the repair, nothing else matters if you re-injure it during the early post-op phase. Good news is I would expect you to be hunting next fall, but might need to adjust draw# of your bow. Good Luck! Advice on having surgery, if you cant do or enjoy the things you want to do, have it fixed.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
Im having Rotator Cuff surgery Jan 19th. partial tear, bone spurs, possible re-anchor of bicep tendon ect...Im a little nervous about this surgery as I should draw an archery elk tag in 2018 that Ive been waiting 17 years for. I've always shot 60lb limbs on my bow but about a month ago I ordered new Barnsdale 65lbs limbs for my destroyer and new Twisted X string and cables in preparation for this hunt. a couple weeks later I find out the pain in my shoulder is a torn rotator cuff. I really hope that I can get rehabilitated in time to be ready for Sept.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
MontanaPT nails it

In my line of work as a trainer/director, we see tons of these come through. We're not qualified to do un-approved rehab on them, so we just follow the PTs/docs recs and I've learned, as said, don't go to fast. Rest is good, it will heal properly then.

Backyard

WKR
I've had both left and right rotator cuffs repaired in the last 5 years, with the right (I shoot right)being the most recent and the worst: three of the four tendons torn completely apart. All were repaired and recovered fully. Both done in late Jan. and bow hunting by Sept.
As previously stated, and I can't stress it enough, listen to and follow both the Doctor and you PT's instructions and most important, do the work at home that the PT gives you. Don't rush into shooting till you have the OK from both. You'll recover and be in the woods this fall.

Good luck!

Elknutz

FNG
I've had labrum tear & bicep tendon repairs, 6 scopes & one complete open surgery. One of the scopes way to pluck out an anchor that pulled out & wedged in the joint. I can sympathize with you. I'm only 50 & have also had 2 knee replacements, wrist & ankle recon. Shoulder takes the cake as far as pain. Save some pills for rehab, you will probably cry.

Don't get after your bow too soon, you should be hunting by fall though. If you are like me I was pulling my bow fine but when the phez hunt rolled around that first shot was painful.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
My left shoulder has been killing me the last 2 months. I can only think I hurt it sleeping.

I shoot 70+ pounds. I can draw the bow like butter. But while holding, my left shoulder, holding arm, I’m a righty, wants to give out and causes me up and down movements.

60 pounds is no difference. I’m stumped . Did a rotator test by a friend who works out and I passed.

So I am going back to what I did years ago when I had pain in my right shoulder by warming up doing circle rotations with 2.5 pound plates in each arm. Hoping that the blood circulating thru will loosen it up and get healed.

I am concerned and being a xbow hunter does not excite me at all !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
My Physical Terrorist was a cute young little happy woman who must have been a professional wrestler in a previous life. I eventually learned to like her.

MontanaPT

FNG
Sunshine, could be several different issues. Rotator Cuff testing can be difficult as well. Depends on the experience of person doing the tests, severity of the injury, and accuracy of the specific tests. Best advice would be to rest/avoid painful activities for a couple weeks and you can perform your light rehab type exercises. If still giving you the problem in a couple weeks, see a qualified medical professional for an evaluation. Good luck with your shoulder!

Muttly

WKR
Worked for a fair sized outfit last few years I was in Anchorage, predominantly grabbing trailers. Popping the doors open when docking them eventually caught up with a fair amount of guys, anything with your hands over head level and tugging, rough on the shoulders. Most guys, six months to recover. Plan on going easy for half a year, let your shoulders recover, or be prepared to have more surgery.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in a similar situation . Doctor app. set and getting more opinions . Wife and daughter are both nurses and between the pain in the shoulder and the constant badgering to get it fixed (I'm a little bull headed) . Its time . Hope it works out for you . Also as stated above listen to your Doc , PT , nurse , and wife. Don't over do it and we'll be hunting hard this fall.

MtnOyster

WKR
I'm getting worried I'm about to be in the same spot with my shoulder, I had a medial tear in my elbow (golfers elbow) and had it reattached several years ago and it was a mother.
I don't want to go through it again with my shoulder.

Let the pain be your guide, don't overdo it, but do not baby it after the first few weeks. You want to work on keeping your ROM throughout the recovery period. If not, you can end up with a frozen shoulder and severely limited range of motion. I had mine repaired years ago from a partial tear and while day to day functions are 100% (even in the gym I'm good to go with overhead press and what not), I cannot throw a football/baseball hard anymore to save my life, and it's mildly upsetting...

At 22 years old it took me 6-7 months for full recovery. Good luck!

Mike

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Had a torn pec reattached in early May 2016 and was basically shooting a womens set up by late September. They used the same protocol for rehab as a rotator.

After surgery stay in the sling as directed and don't get antsy for a couple months. Around week two a PT will start moving you through passive range of motion but probably 12 weeks before starting to rebuild strength and 2 years to full recovery. They should give you routines at each stage to do and make sure you do them. Keep in mind most PTs idea of full recovery is being able to mow your lawn and grab a soup can off the top shelf so after week 16 or whenever you stop going to a PT, there's still a lot of rehab left but you'll be on your own.

When you get to the point where you're using bands you can mimic drawing a bow and work up conservatively. For me after drawing the heavy bands with no issues for sets of 20 got a bowtech fuel(fancy diamond infinite edge) and set draw weight at 15#. From that point turned down limb bolts tighter every week and was shooting 50# by late September and shoot 70# now with no issues.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
Each and every reply is appreciated. Today is 4 weeks post-op. I see my surgeon Monday, and hopefully, he'll let me start doing some PT. I am very concerned about "frozen shoulder" bc even the limited passive range of motion exercises I'm allowed to do are very painful, and it seems like the entire shoulder girdle moves when I do the bent over hanging arm swings.

I think the worst part about it all is "the unknown" to a degree, the pain, and inability to sleep. It's been many many weeks since I've slept through the night without being awakened by my shoulder.

So I look forward to that improving. And damn. I miss shooting my bow. But I won't even pick it up until my surgeon and PT say its ok to start at a light poundage.

Yes, September is my goal.

I hope all of you with similar problems will have success and peace with this journey.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

530Chukar

WKR
I had a similar surgery about ten years ago. It was close to a year before I felt 100%. Instability was my biggest issue over that year.

Today I was reading about stem cell injections to treat everything from arthritis, tendon/ligament injuries and tears even up to cases that would normally require joint replacement. Has anyone had any experience with these? In the case of a rotator cuff injury the study I looked at showed a 1" tear healing almost 100% within nine months. It would be interesting to hear from anyone that's used this stuff.