Had to have it done. Rotator Cuff

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
This has been a good read. My shoulder has had issues since high school. Being a baseball pitcher at a time when there wasn't as much thought towards proper warmup and form has caught up to me. The pain has gotten worse since last fall. Not sure what I did but I know sleeping on my stomach was not helping. Now it wakes me up when I move at night and has really screwed up playing sports with my kids.

Get it evaluated. You might only have bursitis, which responds great to a steroid injection. Might also be able to start a PT/exercie program that will help you avoid surgery, or even injuring it further.

Yes Please!!!
Can you feel my pain???
I hope you never have to!!!

Oh in less than two weeks I'm going to feel it all too well. January 30th....the anticipation is bad enough.

Most people seem to think I'll be okay to shoot by then. I'm anticipating shooting a 60 lb bow. I've skipped the last two seasons for one reason or another, so I really don't want to miss another one.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
Had my surgery friday, fixed torn rotator cuff, anchored bicep tendon, and cleaned up fraying. The nerve block lasted almost 24 hours was real nice, the ice machine is a must have! Keeps the shoulder cold 24 hours a day. Im prescribed percocet and have been taking the minimum dose of 1 pill every 4 hours and have not felt any pain yet. So far its been a better experience than anticipated.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Had my surgery friday, fixed torn rotator cuff, anchored bicep tendon, and cleaned up fraying. The nerve block lasted almost 24 hours was real nice, the ice machine is a must have! Keeps the shoulder cold 24 hours a day. Im prescribed percocet and have been taking the minimum dose of 1 pill every 4 hours and have not felt any pain yet. So far its been a better experience than anticipated.

DRP

Hope you heal up quickly. Percocet is not your friend long term. Don’t forget. Please be careful even in small doses.

Good luck with your recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep us updated on your progress bro.

Well had it done today. Two labral tears, bicep tendon tear, and rotator cuff tear. Also had to have a bone spur shaved down. And a chunk of cartilage removed. He said it was a lot worse when he got in there than what he thought it was going to be. I hope this doesn't kick me out for this September's elk season. :(

Netflix. Planning on doing a lot of digital scouting. I am not good at sitting around. As soon as I can get to the gym, I will.

I've been enjoying Mad Men on Netflix, I would recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cool. I will have to check that out. Once I can use my right hand again, I might have to start making Flemish strings again for anybody that has a stick bow and wants one. Seems like a good way to kill time

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Checking back in again. Attic Hunter, I feel for you and hope like heck you recover quickly.

Not to be nosey, but how the hell did ya hurt yourself so bad ? Dang !

BTW, mine is feeling much better. The cold air helped. I assume I had a hot tendon in the hot Florida sun ? I’m holding 70 pounds out of my Hoyt pretty good. I feel it indeed, it’s barking but just a yip. I notice after the shot and some movement it feels better. So it’s some form of chronic itis, prolly tendinitis which I’ve fought my whole adult life in my elbows.

I’m using 2.5 pound plates in each hand out stretched sideways and doing tight rotation circles ⭕️. Then some 20 pound Arnold dumbbell presses. The twisting seems to get blood in the hurting area and is loosening things up.

I am relieved but not out of the woods. Admittedly I had a Xbox scare ! Was losing sleep thinking I wouldn’t be able to hunt with my 70 pound Hoyt.

I thank God I’m ok ! Hope you all find your zones for comfort to hunting.

I think it's been a combination of things over the last few years. Weightlifting and wrestling with people. Getting shots to dull the pain probably didn't help either. I keep forgetting that this arm is in the sling and I go to reach for Stuff or use my arm. I'm reminded pretty quick when it hurts like hell.

So far I've been able to avoid the heavy narcotic painkillers. Even though they did give them to me just in case.

I think it's been a combination of things over the last few years. Weightlifting and wrestling with people. Getting shots to dull the pain probably didn't help either. I keep forgetting that this arm is in the sling and I go to reach for Stuff or use my arm. I'm reminded pretty quick when it hurts like hell.

So far I've been able to avoid the heavy narcotic painkillers. Even though they did give them to me just in case.
Yeah, those narcotic pain killers are the debil! Turn my brains into mashed potatoes. I can see why they are addictive to some people and why there is an opioid epidemic. Stay off them as best you can.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry I never saw this post until now!

I had stalactite/stalagmite (bone spur) removals in left shoulder followed by the rotator/bicep repair in the right (dominant) shoulder the following year. All arthro, all same-day.

Echoing what others have said my $0.02 is: avoid heavy pain meds if possible, ice is your friend, physical therapists are inherently evil in their eagerness to "help" but I credit all of my recovery to them (and forgive them now), dumb things cause immense pain when healing so like somebody else said protect the injury while things are tender, strength and mobility are relative (I regained 98% strength and mobility in both arms but whenever my arms are above my shoulders I lose a lot of strength very quickly).

All of my work pants have buttons - a challenge to do with non-dominant hand, one handed.

I was never able to tie work boots with one hand - thank goodness for side-zip Walmart tacticals temporarily.

While home recovering from the rotator I walked outside in flip flops and tripped over a garden hose landing square on the 2 day old repair. A trip to the ER and several MRI later, no damage was done but it could have destroyed everything.

Nerve blocks are your friend! A glass or five of wine helps in the days afterwards. (not at all related to the tripping incident above I assure you)

Ice did more for me than oxys.

You will do something dumb and try to instinctually grab something that is falling while arm is in the sling. This will hurt the arm as well as create a nasty whiplash to your neck. Things fall - let them.

Goofy things like typing will cause discomfort at the weirdest times. Plan on learning lots of new ways to do things. I install 2-way radios is law/fire/ems vehicles and the way I used to do it and the way I do it now is completely different to accomplish the same job in the same time, pre and post surgery.

Loosen the jaw-hinge screws on your SOG/Gerber/Leatherman pliers if you use them a lot - opening one handed can be a challenge sometimes.

I hunted every season 4 months after each surgery (I had surgeries in late winter when work was slower).

Blessings and heal quickly - Chas.

They gave me a little ice bag thing to take home. I still haven't taken the Percocet. But the nerve block has worn off now and this thing is starting to suck....

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
I had surgery on my shoulder 2 1/2 months ago. I tore my labrum in 3 places as well as the bicep tendon. I believe this repair was called SLAP, reverse SLAP, and Bankart. The surgeon did a good job so now it’s up to me and my PT. I’m confident I’ll be able to bow hunt this fall but I’m taking my recovery completely by the book and not rushing it. My PT and doc, both of whom have my respect, say that I should be pretty close to full recovery about 9 or 10 months after the surgery.

If anyone is contemplating this type of surgery, I recommend getting an ice machine and nerve block if available. I also agree with others that the narcotic painkillers are really a pretty poor option. Yes, they dull the pain but also the mind. It’s also not cool to drool on yourself. I switched to Advil after four days and almost immediately felt better.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
We have a lot of people with operations. Kinda sad but it’s a necessary evil I guess.

Hope all in recovery work things out and wish nothing but great health to you all.

Ice seems to be the hot ticket it appears. I might try some and see. Like I made mention before, we had a Florida cold spell and suddenly my shoulder began to heal. So it got me more convinced that after 3 months of zero progress, the cold helped. I chalked mine up to a hot tendon that we seem to think came up to the shoulder from the bicep . I’ve experienced similar issues over the years from heavy weight training.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
4 weeks since surgery, for the last 2 weeks my Dr has me doing very light stretches twice a day. Having never been through this before I only have my own ideas as to what this should feel like. Doing the stretches feels good and bad if that makes since. I usually ice my shoulder immediatly after stretching. I make pencil marks on the wall to keep track of my progress as I (itsy bitsy spider) walk my fingers up the wall. I felt a twinge in my shoulder one morning when I woke up and yawned, it hurt pretty bad. My shoulder was sore for about 24 hours. Scared that I pulled an anchor or re-tore something. But that soreness went away and im back to stretching. Missing one day of stretching seemed to set my progress back 2 days worth. Im optimistic for my next appointment in 10 days, I think thats when I will be able to take the sling off for longer periods if time. On a side note ive akways been a side/stomach sleeper, having the sling on forces me to sleep on my back. Im 41 and for the last 10 plus years I wake up with back pain, not anymore. I dont remember having any morning back pain in the last month. The bad side is my wife says I snore alot now. Good luck to all my fellow rocksliders having shoulder surgery.

Dude I feel your pain. I am two and a half weeks post surgery. Everytime I turn around my shoulder hurts and I feel like I probably tore something. LOL.

I go back to the doctor on March 1st. Hopefully I'll get this sling off for good. I'm going to Great Lengths to not hurt it again until it heals. It's kind of nerve-racking.

On the plus side I was able to get back in the gym after 4 days get off meds completely in less than a week and I should be able to shoot my bow by around August. So I'll be in Colorado this fall. That is if the boredom doesn't kill me first. If anybody shoots a trad bow and needs a flemish bow string made I'm thinking about making a few to pass the time. .