Had to have it done. Rotator Cuff

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
listen to your dr & PT....take it easy or you'll just set yourself back...you'll be hunting next fall....I was back in about 6 mo to normal arm use

Definitely follow DR/PT directions. That means both what to not do as well as what to do. My repairs sound less extensive than yours, but I was pulling a bow within 4 months, all with Dr's permission.

I’m 8 weeks postop and I have started rucking again this weekend. I also carried a little Remington 700 223 I had made a while ago- but didn’t shoot it. I can’t sleep well yet. I’ve got great (all things considered) range of motion, strength is slowly coming. I mean if I raise my arm shoulder high 10 times im pretty smoked. But I can do it now. Sleeping on the ground didn’t go well. Slept a couple hours and listened to the night the rest. Those first 2-3 weeks were terrible. So boring. And I hate meds. The more bone they shave- the more it hurts and the longer it hurts. Just like bunion surgery. It’s like when you cut half your fingernail off. That new expos d skin hurts just being there- same thing. Takes that new bone surface a while to “callous” I would say that 8 weeks out I feel about like I did right before the surgery. About as capable. About as uncomfortable. Except I was shooting a couple hundred rounds a week of centerfire rifle and about 3-4 boxes of 20 gauge shells. No way in hell I’d even think about that right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akrdkill

WKR
I wouldn’t get your hopes up on the sling That’s usually a 2 month deal....it’s pretty easy to over due things & you’ll have a big setback

I go back to the doctor on March 1st. Hopefully I'll get this sling off for good. I'm going to Great Lengths to not hurt it again until it heals. It's kind of nerve-racking.

On the plus side I was able to get back in the gym after 4 days get off meds completely in less than a week and I should be able to shoot my bow by around August. So I'll be in Colorado this fall. That is if the boredom doesn't kill me first. If anybody shoots a trad bow and needs a flemish bow string made I'm thinking about making a few to pass the time. .

I wouldn’t get your hopes up on the sling That’s usually a 2 month deal....it’s pretty easy to over due things & you’ll have a big setback

One can hope, right? He told me a month in it. But the way it feels now, I can see how it would be easy to hurt it again.

Hope all you roksliders are healing up. I got out of my sling last week which was pretty cool. Second round of PT has started, so it's staying sore most of the time with all the new stuff we are doing. I'll be glad when I can draw a bow again. I'm going to try shooting a shotgun off my left side for turkey season. Being off all spring is the one good part of all this.

Hope everybody has a quick recovery and can hit the woods some this spring.

fishstu

FNG
My Story -
At 58 I had Rotator Cuff partial tear, bone spur shaving, and bicep reattachment done early April 2012. It has been a fantastic success - shoulder fully recovered and feels better than new with full mobility and strength. I had made the decision before my surgery to hunt with a crossbow for the 2012 season to take any "need" to shoot my bow off the table. My number one priority was to get the best out come from the shoulder surgery - if I didn’t shoot a bow for 2 years if needed so what.
Ended up shooting 30 arrow indoor league starting early January 2013 (still conservative - decided against 60 arrow league to be on the safe side). Changed from a 72 lb. bow to a 50 lb. bow which is now maxed 61lb - could do 70lb but why, too much down side risk.
Protect the shoulder at all costs, keep the shoulder moving protectively with constant slow gains in movement, A LOT of the correct Physical Therapy. PHYSICAL THERAPY is key to a full recovery. After the insurance stopped paying for the PT sessions I paid for a 3 month "gym" fee to the PT outfit so I could go in and use the equipment on my own (was still "barked" at occasionally by the lively young lady Profession Terrorist). I also did daily PT stretching exercise at home with an ice pack afterwards - Now back to the gym and still do up and behind the back shoulder stretching exercises.
I used a multi band bow trainer, stepping up the number of bands I pulled, didn’t pull a bow until December 2012, and was surprised that I had no trouble pulling 50lbs but after a few shots it was sore - used ice pack.
Bottom line – I am in training for a 3 week back pack bow elk hunt in CO this fall.

Last edited:

TJ

WKR
Hope all you roksliders are healing up. I got out of my sling last week which was pretty cool. Second round of PT has started, so it's staying sore most of the time with all the new stuff we are doing. I'll be glad when I can draw a bow again. I'm going to try shooting a shotgun off my left side for turkey season. Being off all spring is the one good part of all this.

Hope everybody has a quick recovery and can hit the woods some this spring.

I get to loose my sling next Thursday, it will be a little over six weeks. Also started the second round of PT yesterday, four times a day is a major time commitment but worth it. Sheer torture but the shoulder gets better everyday.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Update on my own issue.

My shoulder after several months of pain and unable to hold my 70 pound bow @ full draw has gotten much better.

Don’t know what it was ? I think from sleeping on it wrong ? It got inflamed maybe ?

I kept to my standby exercises of holding both arm straight out to the side and doing tight circles with a 2.5 pound plate. 25 circles forward and backward each.

As I felt it get better, and originally I couldn’t even do these movements, I started doing lite weight Arnold presses with a dumbbell twist @ the top.

I’m now to the point of putting some heavier weight and getting it stronger. I’m appreciatively weaker then normal in the shoulder and @ 59, not sure how much I can get back. But I’m going to go for it.

Thank God, I was very scared my number was called to use a xbow full time.

I get to loose my sling next Thursday, it will be a little over six weeks. Also started the second round of PT yesterday, four times a day is a major time commitment but worth it. Sheer torture but the shoulder gets better everyday.

Yeah, I can tell a big difference just in the last week I've been doing some of these new exercises. They really sucked in the beginning, but have improved my range of motion significantly. They said in a couple weeks I might be able to start adding some resistance.

Drive on....I haven't met anybody who regretted having the surgery in the end.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to loose my sling 2 weeks ago as well, PT feels good but I've gotten scolded from the staff a couple times for trying to push too hard. I definitely do not regret having the surgery.

Ripped my RC on a cow tuna fishing with heavy drag...chose to decline the "mandatory surgery" and after 18 months the pain went away and 97% mobility returned. Doc said surgery when i tore the meniscus in both my knees too...declined and now have no pain and full mobility. Sometimes you body can do a better job of healing itself than a surgeon with three kids in college can. Rub some mud on it, take a shot of Patron and have a cigar.

28378097_10215306250390609_2476754437738015798_n.jpg

PS: I landed that biach too.

25470_1420872122903_2505495_n.jpg

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
Have had both rotators done, plus biceps on the left and AC on the right. Learned a few things. Nerve blocks are magic. Never wait until the nerve block wears off to start the pain meds. Passive PT, started immediately, helps tremendously. That ice machine is the best thing since the wheel. Not being able to wash your own hair for 6 weeks sucks. It does eventually heal, and life is so much better!

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Have had both rotators done, plus biceps on the left and AC on the right. Learned a few things. Nerve blocks are magic. Never wait until the nerve block wears off to start the pain meds. Passive PT, started immediately, helps tremendously. That ice machine is the best thing since the wheel. Not being able to wash your own hair for 6 weeks sucks. It does eventually heal, and life is so much better!

Brother, it hurts me just to read your post.

I feel terrible for the agony you must have endured.

Please do share with us what you attribute such colossal damage to ?

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hope you get better soon. I just had shoulder surgery myself and had torn ligaments and bicep muscle. My rotator cuff is 1/3 torn but not enough to warrant repair yet. Too many years of sports and wrestling criminals to the ground. From my understanding, most folks get bone spurs somewhere as they grow older and mine developed in the shoulder, which cut into the ligaments and muscle over time. Other shoulder scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks. Just a little tune up for this 54 year old.

Bdhuntin

FNG
I'm about 4 yrs removed from a similar surgery. Biggest takeaway, follow your Dr/PT's instructions. PT is agonizing but very important. Continue your PT on your own even after being released. One of the biggest things I learned was when I was trying to compensate for the pain, I changed my posture. I would roll my shoulder down and forward where it didn't hurt as bad. THAT is where most of the damage came from. Poor posture causes the compression in your shoulder joint and makes the problem worse. Keep this in mind while going through the rehab. Best of luck!!

Hope everybody is healing up. Went back to the doctor and found out I have three more weeks of physical therapy and then go back to work. That will make it just over twelve weeks from surgery to "recovered".

He said I could start shooting then as well. It's a long recovery but it's already feeling as good as it did before the surgery.

You can

rodney482

WKR
Ive decided to just live with the pain. As long as I can work, hunt and play.. Im ok!

My surgeon told me im 10 years away from needing a shoulder replacement.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
Good job Arctic Hunter, im right behind you at 10 weeks post OP. Im also feeling much better, the PT isnt always fun but it makes me feel better. My next Dr apt is at the end of April. Originally Dr said I could start shooting my bow again in June (hopefully still on track).

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
That will make it just over twelve weeks from surgery to "recovered".

He said I could start shooting then as well.

My 3 month visit is tomorrow. I hope I get the same good news from my Doc. Last visit he said it would be 8 months before I am pulling a bow back. Should be just in time for the Fall season if all goes well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My 3 month visit is tomorrow. I hope I get the same good news from my Doc. Last visit he said it would be 8 months before I am pulling a bow back. Should be just in time for the Fall season if all goes well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Good luck. I'm sure you will be back earlier than you think. My doctor originally told me 4 months after the surgery.

I gave my wife my halon 32 right before the surgery. I ordered some mods for her and some 30-40 pound limbs.... She doesn't know it yet, but that bow might be repossessed soon for a short time with those light limbs.