Montana Rifle Company Questions

What do you know about them?
Quality?
Accuracy?

Really considering these guys for a new rifle. Haven't really seen any talk about them on this site so curious as to why or why not?

No dealer close by so I can't get my hands on them (which I'm not a fan of to begin with), anyone that ones one; can you compare it to a more distributed rifle that I can get my hands on? Anyone near the Denver/Conifer area that owns one that I can maybe hold/cycle/dry fire/shoot?

Thanks

I think they had some start up issues early on with Qa/QC.... haven't heard anything bad about them recently, pretty sure one of their guns won some award from F&S or Outdoor LIfe?

I don't own one, the few that I've handled have been what you'd expect from a rifle in that price point. Very nice, tight tolerances and smooth action. I prefer a CRF and these were well made as near as I could tell. Pretty sure the company was founded by a disgruntled Kimber employee which would make sense as they were strikingly similar.... Hopefully someone else can weigh in on the accuracy.

OP
A
Ya; they have a few awards the past couple of years.
Thanks for the feedback backcountry.

Ya; they look very similar; I know there are people on here as big Kimber fans; since the price point is about the same; wondering why not so many MRC fans. Maybe just due to not as accessible.

Would like any feedback

Ya; they have a few awards the past couple of years.
Thanks for the feedback backcountry.

Ya; they look very similar; I know there are people on here as big Kimber fans; since the price point is about the same; wondering why not so many MRC fans. Maybe just due to not as accessible.

Would like any feedback

I would bet it's an availability issue. Kimber has blown up in the last 5 years (regarding rifles) since they have been actually stocked in stores rather than a 6mos wait per order like they had been. More rifles on the shelf equals more rifles in the hands of customers.... staying small is fine but you simply won't reach the same # of people/fans.

I'd have a tough time in the $1500 price range not going with kimber... I've had such great luck with mine I don't know that I'd switch in this price category but to each their own. That said; Kimber, Cooper, MRC, Fierce, Christensen all are making fantastic firearms @ this price point right now (im sure there's others also). With the availability of cheap well built accurate rifles now (like savage, ruger, etc...) any company with a gun north of $1K that isn't high quality won't likely stay in business long.

OP
A
Savage is on my list cheaper than others and ive heard they are nail drivers

Tikka sako and kimber are on my list. Would just like to know more about the MRC.

I would agree, anything over 1k better be top quality

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

whichever route you go one things for sure.... there's never been a better time to be in the market for a rifle. At every price point you have high quality and accurate options.

texag10

WKR
I've looked at their rifles a few times because they offer some calibers that not many do, like 6.5x284...then they put it in a short action. Not sure if their short action is long enough to run it, but it just seems they make some odd action length choices and generally use older slow twist rates on a lot of their guns.

OP
A
Pulled up some old threads on here and the internet in general about crappy customer service, long wait times, and just 'eh' rifles for the price. But from what I found, that was a few years ago/when they were first starting as a company so things could have changed?

I bought one of the earlier 99 actions for a custom I was putting together. It’s basically a copy of the original model 70. The action I received was rough inside and out, and required a lot of work to get right. I didn’t mind since it was a project gun anyway. IMO it’s a bit bulky for a mountain gun if that’s what you have in mind. For all the work and money it’s not as smooth or accurate as my Tikka that cost the same as I paid for the bare action of the Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
When did you buy that action? Cause thats basically what ive been finding in reviews, that early on-very rough actions and poor CS.

Anyone with recent experience. 2014 and beyond?

OP
A
I do want it as a mountain rifle for colorado elk and then also going up to alaska/canada every so often

OP
A
Just want something a little different than say the kimber montana or tikka. Its really the only rifle I'm lacking in the arsenal so im willing to spend more. Started looking at those Fierce firearms and Christensen.
Looking for a synthetic/stainless 338 win mag mainly but thinking the Christensen in 375H&H or the newer 33 nosler (although looked up ammo prices on this and dann)

OP
A
Don't want to necessarily rule anything out right now, but like I said, I am willing to spend a little more money to get something out of the ordinary. That Fierce Edge is catching my eye.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a limited edition Montana Rifle Company Cascade Extreme rifle about a year ago and I love it.

It shoots like a dream and I've been happy with the overall construction and durability.

That being said, it is pretty heavy and not something I would want to do a long backpack trip hunt with.

This past week I had a friend who is young lady that weighs about 115 lbs using the MRC and she shot an elk and big ass mule deer buck with the rifle and the recoil did not bother her a bit due to the weight of the rifle and the muzzle break. Had to keep an eye on my rifle when she left, she was wanting it badly. :)

I also own a Cooper Rifle Model 92 Backcountry and if you are looking for a lightweight mountain rifle that might be more up your alley.

Both of the rifles I mentioned are chambered in .300 Win Mag.

When did you buy that action? Cause thats basically what ive been finding in reviews, that early on-very rough actions and poor CS.

Anyone with recent experience. 2014 and beyond?

Mine has a serial number 0214. I’m not sure when it was made, but I bought it second hand in 2015. I bought it for many of the same reasons you’re interested. I thought of it as a poor man’s Dakota. I grew up shooting a CRF action so I like the feel of them. I made mine in 338/375 Ruger. I was just giving advice from a practical point of view in my first post. We don’t have to be sensible, practical, or justifiable when buying guns (I’m trying to get my 480 Ruger rechambered to 475 Linebaugh right now). Just wanting someone cool and unique has always been reason enough for me. As for he Montana, I love it and wouldn’t change a thing if I had it to do over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
I ordered one three years ago. I had quite the experience getting the rifle and then had an issue with the recoil pad separating from the stock. I posted about it in the firearms section.

Short version: I ordered the rifle and was told it could take up to 6 months. After 6 months no rifle and when I called I got the runaround and a line about backordered parts. I think this was partly due to mine being a unique build left handed and a less common round 300RUM.
When I called about the recoil pad issue. It was a completely different experience. They sent me a return label and let me wait until after my Wyoming hunt to send it back. They turned it around quickly and I had my rifle back with little down time.

The rifle shoots sub MOA and has an awesome trigger. If I had to find something I didn't like it would be the safety. I am a fan of 3 position safeties but I think the knob stands too proud of the bolt and will occasionally gets caught on brush. I don't walk around with one in the chamber but finding the safety off makes me feel uneasy.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thanks for the input fella's.

Sounds like actually getting the rifle might be a pain in the ass; but after you own one; the CS steps up.
Quality I am hoping is a thing of the past and any minor issue it sounds like they are willing to fix ASAP.

However, I do want this as a mountain rifle so maybe I will look at the Fierce/Cooper/Christensen/Nosler

Anyone have some others - more on the custom side to look in to?

Thanks for the input fella's.

Sounds like actually getting the rifle might be a pain in the ass; but after you own one; the CS steps up.
Quality I am hoping is a thing of the past and any minor issue it sounds like they are willing to fix ASAP.

However, I do want this as a mountain rifle so maybe I will look at the Fierce/Cooper/Christensen/Nosler

Anyone have some others - more on the custom side to look in to?

If I were looking at a true mountain gun and had sworn off kimber I'd be looking hard a Barrett fieldcraft although they might not have your desired caliber. In fact if you held a gun to my head (pun intended) and told me to pick a production rifle non-kimber for hunting mountains right now that'd be my top choice. As I understand it they bough out Forbes when they folded. That said you could probably find a Forbes online for pretty reasonable too but I don't think they ever did a stainless line.

That's keeping costs down. If money is no object Dakota, blaser, MOA, Nula, nesika, hill country, etc are worth looking into.

Last edited:
OP
A
That Barrett looks good, Backcounty. Not in .338 Win Mag like I would prefer though.

Guess I shouldn't say I am swearing off Kimber, or Sako or the like. I know they are quality guns - let's just call those my fall back options. I have the time to not rush the process - and like I said before; looking for something a little more our of the ordinary since I have the luxury of time/money.