EXO 3500, worth the investment?

svivian

WKR
I have the exo 3500 and love it. I've done up to 7 days out of which is why I would get the 5500 like everyone above has stated. The extra space would be nice

The EXO is the pack they use as they are hunting with the owners of EXO. Soon they will be in Idaho with Hushin, who wears Full Curl I believe.
Don't base your decision of a you tube video.
Be better than that...

Not that anything is wrong with an Exo, but it isn't the best quality, versatile or cheapest pack.
I would seriously look at a set up that offers versatility, meaning opens to allow a minimum of 5500 ci, yet compresses nicely to run in day mode where you leave camp stuff at camp and just carry your kill kit, emergency stuff, food and water.

What I love about Kifaru is options.
I have yet to see a pack company that offers versatility like Kifaru.
You can get dizzy trying to figure out your set up choices.

For a 5-7 day Co OTC elk hunt I would suggest this to help you get an idea of their options suited for you....

Frame- Hunter Duplex with Alumn or composite stays- doesn't really matter weight wise as stated above.
Bag- Reconing or Fulcrum or AMR or Mtn Warrior or Timberline 2
- out of these I would personally get the Fulcrum
Accessories- Small belt pouch for the belt
- Nalgene water bottle holder
-3 Medium belt pouches to install on lower part of bag
- Guide lid

This would have you set for years to come and open the option to carry a tent, tipi, titanium stove and other things for an even deeper wilderness type hunt.

There is some money involved in the above list for sure and you can omit 3 of the med belt pouches and get them later, same as with the Nalgene holster, and then just run a bladder set up- I prefer both when I go in deep.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
Exo makes a great pack and has excellent customer service, I've had my 3500 for 3 years and was one of the best investments I've made. Whether you pick Exo something else a good quality pack makes a world of difference.

The exo is a great pack and fits me great. The bag layouts are top of the heap IMO.

I personally couldn't get my kifaru as comfortable as the exo or Seek outside even with bending the stays. That's just me and it's why everyone says to try them all. The kifaru fanboy force is strong on this forum, Born n raised probably has additional reasons for using exo, don't let what someone else is using dictate what is best for you.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
The EXO is the pack they use as they are hunting with the owners of EXO. Soon they will be in Idaho with Hushin, who wears Full Curl I believe.
Be better than that...

Not that anything is wrong with an Exo, but it isn't the best quality, versatile or cheapest pack.
I would seriously look at a set up that offers versatility, meaning opens to allow a minimum of 5500 ci, yet compresses nicely to run in day mode where you leave camp stuff at camp and just carry your kill kit, emergency stuff, food and water.

For a 5-7 day Co OTC elk hunt I would suggest this to help you get an idea of their options suited for you....

Frame- Hunter Duplex with Alumn or composite stays- doesn't really matter weight wise as stated above.
- Guide lid

This would have you set for years to come and open the option to carry a tent, tipi, titanium stove and other things for an even deeper wilderness type hunt.

There is some money involved in the above list for sure and you can omit 3 of the med belt pouches and get them later, same as with the Nalgene holster, and then just run a bladder set up- I prefer both when I go in deep.
I normally enjoy your posts, but this one is pure snarkiness from a Kifaru fanboy. There is nothing wrong with an EXO pack, and the 5500 fits every one of your qualifications. He asked about the 3500, but has been wisely steered towards the 5500.

You like "options" with Kifaru, which means you like having to buy everything that should come already included for what they charge. The EXO is every bit as good of a pack as a Kifaru.

I'll stop before I really get on a soapbox about Kifaru owners talking down to anyone who doesn't run one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I really believe the Kifaru "fan boy club" is strong because there isn't another company with the same versatility. Cant name one that compares.
EXO, SG though they are in the upper tier of packs, limit what you can get from them. There isn't a lot of versatility to them.
My entire post focuses on versatility, hoping the OP doesn't fall victim to a you tube video series, but knows there is other options.

As stated try them on, how ever that isn't always possible depending where you live.

They will all do you well, but only one is not a cookie cutter lock you into one kind of a mold type pack.
If you are set on an Exo, I would definitely choose the 5500 over the 3500.
many first time pack buyers think small and often end up upgrading to a bigger pack, once they realize the bigger pack , can also be a smaller pack when compressed.

I normally enjoy your posts, but this one is pure snarkiness from a Kifaru fanboy. There is nothing wrong with an EXO pack, and the 5500 fits every one of your qualifications. He asked about the 3500, but has been wisely steered towards the 5500.

You like "options" with Kifaru, which means you like having to buy everything that should come already included for what they charge. The EXO is every bit as good of a pack as a Kifaru.

I'll stop before I really get on a soapbox about Kifaru owners talking down to anyone who doesn't run one.

Sneaky I wasn't talking down to anyone
I merely pointed out to someone who is seeking a pack, and knows little about them, other than a series of youtube videos where a certain pack is being used.

This site is about gear, options and what works.

I clearly said there is nothing wrong with the Exo pack. I also stated to look at a bigger size. I was merely offering a variety of information bits for his benefit.

you really don't need to get all pissy over someone trying to offer insight on options to someone reaching out asking questions. I answered his question and simply offered another, better option in my opinion.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
For 2017 I was able to put the Exo 3500 through a lot of work. 1 full elk, 2 half deer and one half elk.

Solo Bull elk....2.5 miles 1k elevation gain 5 trips. Decided to keep the bones in which added an extra trip. Pack did great, but heat and general “out of shapeness” made this a miserable pack out.

Pack worked great, really, really like the different configurations I was able to do with compression straps to make sure the meat stayed centered and stable. For the trip out I like being able to still have all my gear in the pack separate from the meat with my bow strapped to the rear.

For rifle we harvested 3 straight days, 2 deer and one elk. I helped pack out half of each.

Deer #1. Small 4 pt. 2 miles with both hind quarters, bone in, and head. Straight down 1.5k elevation loss. Easy peasy.

Deer #2. Med 4 pt. One front, One Rear, loose meat. 1.5 miles off the side of a mountain through blowdown. A little more difficult. My shoulders and neck were a bit tight after that pack out. Lower back and legs in good shape.

Elk #2: Spike...2.5 miles, 800’ elevation gain. Two rear quarters bones out. My body was really starting to feel it. My body was beat up by then and the weight was really starting to wear down my larger muscle groups and fatigue set in. Really had to take extra time to make sure everything was situated nicely and all straps/load lifters were being utilized to the max.

Pack took a beating but held up. Had one small rip on the side that I repaired. For most of the trips I was really hammering into the straps to get them as tight as possible. Not once was I worried anything would fail.

For day trips up to 3 night the 3500 is sufficient. If I was going in for 3+ or in country where heavy cold weather gear is necessary I would up to the 5500, but I know folks that go 5 days in mild weather.

As many have said. Best to get fitted before you spend the money. I have the fortune of living in Boise so went in to Exo and had Steve get me all situated.

Aron from Kifaru is also a great resource if you are in Colorado. Browse through Gritty Bowman podcasts and listen to the ones on the packs. Know he has really helped people get fitted to their packs.

Steve Rinella did a meat eater podcast with Kurt from Stone Glacier. Give that a listen and give them a call.

If you are going to spend the coin find the pack that fits you best.

Good luck.

Here is pack with the 2nd elk. I’m pretty tired.

18b8bd5ab9e9a9857df00eaf66858314.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sneaky I wasn't talking down to anyone
I merely pointed out to someone who is seeking a pack, and knows little about them, other than a series of youtube videos where a certain pack is being used.

This site is about gear, options and what works.

I clearly said there is nothing wrong with the Exo pack. I also stated to look at a bigger size. I was merely offering a variety of information bits for his benefit.

you really don't need to get all pissy over someone trying to offer insight on options to someone reaching out asking questions. I answered his question and simply offered another, better option in my opinion.
I wasn't getting pissy, but I have no problem going there if you want to continue with the condescension. Agreed, he'll be better off trying out multiple packs, but there is a great wide world outside of Kifaru.

CorbLand

WKR
Be better than that...

- Guide lid

I don't see what the Kifaru offers over the EXO in regards to versatility? You keep saying the Kifaru is more versatile but other then them having an ass load of bags that fit one frame, everything you described the EXO does too.

I mean don't get me wrong, having a bunch of bag options is nice but is there really anything you can't do with a 2000, 3500 or a 5500?

To the OP, I don't intend to use this thread as a way for myself to argue or get in digs to those who oppose my opinion.
But I will use it for the opportunity to post my opinion which is what you asked in the beginning as far as is it worth the investment

Any good quality pack is a good investment.
I personally believe Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Exo are the top 3 in this field....
There are options for you the consumer/hunter, because there is a variety of hunter/hunting styles out there.

I am merely revealing more than the EXO option you came across on the youtube videos.

In reply to the versatility.

You are correct, any 5500 bag, even a duffle bag, can tie onto a good frame or bad frame and haul gear- no argument there.

You answered your own question as far as "what does Kifaru offer over the Exo" when you mentioned the "ass load of bags" .
That can be huge to someone who doesn't want 1 style of bag, in only 3 sizes.

But as Sneaky mentioned- perhaps Exo nailed it and have the perfect bag of all bags where Kifaru is still trying to find that.
But I doubt that. I really believe too many guys want too many different sizes shapes, zippers and attachments both inside and out.

You then asked what cant you do with the 2000, 3500 or 5500?
- I don't see any molle webbing, pals systems or matrixing on the belts or bags? Some people like to tie off things to the outside. Packs are used in more than just hunting scenarios. So we need to look more than just how "we" use them.

The wide array of various packs to cater to the many different type hunters/hunts out there is one of the things that sets Kifaru a part- IMO.
There are like 22 different packs to choose from at Kifaru
At EXO - 3

Do you really need 22 different packs? In my opinion no.
But That's subject to personal preference- which is what versatility caters to.

Do you really need 3 like at EXO ?
3 that are the same set up with just larger capacity?
Couldn't a guy get buy with just the 5500 and compress it? Yep.
So why do they offer 3?
Versatility.

And this is where versatility goes to Kifaru. They both offer it, but Kifaru offers it more which is all I said all along.

Even in the accessories end Kifaru again offers so many more things in pockets, accessories, pull outs etc..
Are all these needed? Well if they aren't they will end up in the Rhino Den and fade away - lol

The belts on the EXO do not allow universal installation of many items outside their own product line, as I don't see any molle webbing, palls webbing or matrixing systems any where.

My gun bearer or Nalgene bottle holder wont work on their belt.
I like to tie thin gauge bungie cord on my pack outside to allow quick stuffing of clothing layer, but again I don't see any webbing to do that on the EXO.

This post isn't meant to be a pissing match over who has the better set up- I am merely pointing out there are better options out there for "more versatility".

That's been my stance all along.

As far as being a Kifaru Fan Boy.
My tent- Seek outside, not Kifaru.
My Stove- Lite out doors, not Kifaru.
My Sleeping bag- Not Kifaru
My Puffy- not Kifaru
Pull outs- not Kifaru

Clearly not a spokes person fan boy for all things Kifaru, but yes when it comes to the versatility and options in the back pack side of things I don't feel they can be beat.

The Exo 3500 is my go to pack for up to 3 days. Over 3 days a carry a much bigger Kifaru. I consider the Exo the perfect elk pack. Especially for archery since it moves with your back so well. And the Kifaru gun bearer works great on an Exo.

Seems to me there are two types of people, the simpleton and the tinkerer. I'm a simpleton who hates crap hanging off my pack and likes to spend maybe 5 minutes packing for a weekend hunting trip. Others prefer to continually perfect their set ups.

Fortunately the marketplace can satisfy both personality type.

The Exo 3500 is my go to pack for up to 3 days. Over 3 days a carry a much bigger Kifaru. I consider the Exo the perfect elk pack. Especially for archery since it moves with your back so well. And the Kifaru gun bearer works great on an Exo.

Seems to me there are two types of people, the simpleton and the tinkerer. I'm a simpleton who hates crap hanging off my pack and likes to spend maybe 5 minutes packing for a weekend hunting trip. Others prefer to continually perfect their set ups.

Fortunately the marketplace can satisfy both personality type.

Do you run the gun bearer on the belt or the pack?
I thought of mounting mine to the pack, but sometimes like it being right there on the belt for quick release and use.
Curious how you mounted it, as you must have used your own tinkering ideas to make it work.

We all tinker
lol
some more than others
some way too much
lol

No real tinkering as I installed it pretty much the same way I would on my Kifaru. I think :)

I bought the gun bearer five or six years ago when I bought the Kifaru but never had a reason to use it until last month when I carried a shotgun chasing island blacktail. I just hooked the bottom to the belt and the top to the shoulder strap. Worked great.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
I have the EXO 3500 and love it. I could easily do 5 days of early season archery hunting in it. However if you are trying to do 5 days of late season cold weather hunting, that is a different story. I would get the 5500 for that. I guess it just depends on the length of your hunt. But as others have said there are several very high quality packs on the market. It would be best to try some on and make sure you get one that fits you best. Having a heavy load in the back country with miles to go on an uncomfortable pack will be miserable.

I love my Exo 3500. Once I have the funds, I am going to buy the 5500 bag so that I can go up to 10 days out of it. I fit the following in my 3500 for a weekend trip (I overpacked on purpose to see what I could fit.)

In the body of the pack:
3 pairs of socks
3 long sleeve UA poly shirts
2 pairs of hiking pants
1 UA storm hoodie
1 large cotton hand warmer
1 full size bath towel
Hunting gloves
Arm sleeve
Nitrile gloves
Belt
Beanie

In the small side pockets:
Rangefinder
Small flashlight
Leather gloves
Large skinning knife

In the large side pockets:
Bow mounted quiver on left side
Hip “tube” quiver on right side
Large flashlight on right side

In one belt pouch:
Release
Contact drops
Compass
Archery wrench tool

In lid:
Bar of soap
Travel size shampoo
Large bottle of saline solution
Travel size contact peroxide and case
Deodorant
Toothbrush and paste
Migraine and allergy medicine

I still had quite a bit of room available for other things in both the bag and the large side pockets. The lid wasn’t even close to full, and I have another belt pouch I didn’t even use. I don’t quite understand how one thinks the exo isn’t versatile, as it has a lot of already built in features that allow you to change up how you pack without having to add or remove anything. It comes with the lid, and the belt pouches are very well made and attach easily. I would venture to say that I could easily pack for a 5 day trip without an issue, as I brought a lot of extra clothes I would not need if I weren’t staying in a nice cabin.

I have also been doing 80# pack training for a while with no back or hip issues. I also packed out a whole whitetail (about 90-100#) without a problem with slippage or load shifting.

I like simplicity, and I also like that I got a lot of features in the exo that come standard versus having to drop more money for the same stuff on a Kifaru. Not bashing Kifaru, they just weren’t as easy to purchase due to the dizzying amount of packs offered that would require a bit of additional accessories to do what my Exo does off the shelf.

I will be testing out the total capabilities of the 3500 a bit more on some other occasions, and I’ll try and come back to this to update. So far, I really love this pack.

Oh, and Steve and Lenny with Exo are very easy to deal with and provide a lot of help when getting your pack adjusted and set up.

No real tinkering as I installed it pretty much the same way I would on my Kifaru. I think :)

I bought the gun bearer five or six years ago when I bought the Kifaru but never had a reason to use it until last month when I carried a shotgun chasing island blacktail. I just hooked the bottom to the belt and the top to the shoulder strap. Worked great.
Hmmm
Mine has clips that go in webbing systems

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

"I don’t quite understand how one thinks the exo isn’t versatile, as it has a lot of already built in features that allow you to change up how you pack without having to add or remove anything. It comes with the lid, and the belt pouches are very well made and attach easily."

No one said it wasn't versatile, but it isn't as versatile.
That's just the facts, and all I was pointing out.

On my hip belt I will run, bear spray, pistol, Nalgene bottle and a med belt pouch.
All of this thru the pals webbing and not the main belt strap that puts pressure on the points of contact.

But if all this isn't needed or desired than again, these options are necessary to your style of hunting.

I am not bashing Exo,... when I saw Steve carry out that much weight, his bull head included in with all his camp gear- he won me over.

Not many will abuse their pack or body like that. I did that very thing this year, and it was miserable, I know he was as well.
I will one day look into one of theirs and almost did this Black Friday. I just have too many already and need to liquidate to make room and find a reason for them.
The one thing I keep hearing that tickles my fancy, is their ability to move with you. As a bow hunter that's a temptation for sure.
I just don't know what the pay off is for extreme loads with that much flexibility built in.

Elkoholic30 pretty much owns that territory

CorbLand

WKR
Hmmm
Mine has clips that go in webbing systems

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Do you have the one that fits a kifaru specifically? They make a universal one that Velcro’s over a hip belt.

CorbLand

WKR
The reason people keep calling you out for the versatility comments is that it’s not that the Kifaru is more versatile than the EXO. It’s that the Kifaru has a system that fits you better. The EXO offers the same features, they just work a different way than you would like.