EXO 3500, worth the investment?

HeadnWest

WKR
I fit 7 days worth of gear and food in my 3500 for this past September. Worked great!

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4503.jpg
    IMG_4503.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 69

Deepshax

WKR
I do more backpacking than backpack hunting and didn't really need to use my 26" duplex w/ a large bag to do 1-3 nighters...and Ive delegated my 14'r to my whitetail/turkey bag where Im packing in a climber or sticks/stand every hunt. So i picked up a 26" bikini frame and tossed on a tahr (I dont do much in the way of organization, couple pouches/stuffsacks thats it). Im really liking the bikini frame, it moves really well with your body and have been thinking I may just use this next fall instead of my duplex. All together the bikini and tahr were just over $300.

The reason people keep calling you out for the versatility comments is that it’s not that the Kifaru is more versatile than the EXO. It’s that the Kifaru has a system that fits you better. The EXO offers the same features, they just work a different way than you would like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea i fully disagree with this...Again the facts don't support this claim of equally versatile

Not even close based solely on bag options

I don't consider it Calling me out either, just mis understood comments, information and false facts and claims that have no support.

simply Saying something does the same thing as another on its same level doesn't hold up....

I Have fully supplied facts to alternative options to exo, and leave the OP to do what he wants with it.

In the end I hope you realize it is worth it, no matter wich way you go

Welcome to the wonderful world of back pack hunting you well indeed love it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any good quality pack is a good investment.
I personally believe Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Exo are the top 3 in this field....

Really its top 4 and you're splitting hairs if not including mystery ranch in this category (not an insignificant number of folks like the fit of that one over the exo but all depends on the body). The guidelight frame they did a pretty good job with, when adjusted right it hauls well in my personal experience (I trained 75lb very comfortably with it, heaviest I've hauled in the field has been 94lb). The frame/packs they offer are decent (and on sale rather affordable compared to some) but they don't sell them separate and limited selection which limits off the shelf options, good news is its an easy frame to make things for so that hasn't ever been an issue to me. I was bummed they didn't do PALS on the new belt but I made some PALS sleeves for mine and that solved that concern but they could have done it from the factory off the bat in the design. The frame height is good for my torso (not too tall but totally functional on my body) and has a good balance of flexibility. Most of your comments are about the business model of the companies (how many options/accessories) rather than the detachable frames themselves (though PALS on the belt off the bat is handy, again no clue why MR didn't carry that forward on the new frame from the NICE). Obviously you hear great things about the duplex (but also for some folks it doesn't fit well, its not a guarantee just like any of these frames), lately lots of good comments on the xcurve, and then you have the MR/EXO crowd which is a bit more affordable but reportedly quite functional depending on one's body type and personal preferences. The xcurve is the lightest out there that does well, the duplex is ready for the most accessories, yep. But its up to the user to determine if they need either of those features and the associated cost. For some that upgrade is a major improvement and for others it may not matter much for their usage so spending the extra money might not be value added. One thing I think is clear is getting any of the above packs and verifying they fit your body will be a huge improvement over a lot of other packs out there not designed for the heavy hauling we do as hunters.

Do you have the one that fits a kifaru specifically? They make a universal one that Velcro’s over a hip belt.

Have not seen this one. Does it fit over the padded belt or the strap itself?

Really its top 4 and you're splitting hairs if not including mystery ranch in this category (not an insignificant number of folks like the fit of that one over the exo but all depends on the body). The guidelight frame they did a pretty good job with, when adjusted right it hauls well in my personal experience (I trained 75lb very comfortably with it, heaviest I've hauled in the field has been 94lb). The frame/packs they offer are decent (and on sale rather affordable compared to some) but they don't sell them separate and limited selection which limits off the shelf options, good news is its an easy frame to make things for so that hasn't ever been an issue to me. I was bummed they didn't do PALS on the new belt but I made some PALS sleeves for mine and that solved that concern but they could have done it from the factory off the bat in the design. The frame height is good for my torso (not too tall but totally functional on my body) and has a good balance of flexibility. Most of your comments are about the business model of the companies (how many options/accessories) rather than the detachable frames themselves (though PALS on the belt off the bat is handy, again no clue why MR didn't carry that forward on the new frame from the NICE). Obviously you hear great things about the duplex (but also for some folks it doesn't fit well, its not a guarantee just like any of these frames), lately lots of good comments on the xcurve, and then you have the MR/EXO crowd which is a bit more affordable but reportedly quite functional depending on one's body type and personal preferences. The xcurve is the lightest out there that does well, the duplex is ready for the most accessories, yep. But its up to the user to determine if they need either of those features and the associated cost. For some that upgrade is a major improvement and for others it may not matter much for their usage so spending the extra money might not be value added. One thing I think is clear is getting any of the above packs and verifying they fit your body will be a huge improvement over a lot of other packs out there not designed for the heavy hauling we do as hunters.

Yes I forgot all about MR. One of the longest running companies out there too.

CorbLand

WKR
Have not seen this one. Does it fit over the padded belt or the strap itself?

You could do either.

I guess I don’t see the Kifaru as adding more versatility so much as providing more options. Could just be two ways or saying the same thing.

I fit 7 days worth of gear and food in my 3500 for this past September. Worked great!

I fit 7 days in my Tahr, to hold things like a 6 man tipi, titanium stove, camera gear, batteries, tripods etc... Things other than just normal hunting gear. I was able to make a medium 3400 bag into a big bag, just by adding the spotting scope pouches, and medium belt pouches and guide lid. Had I not taken the bigger tipi, stove and camera gear, tripods, spotters, I wouldn't have needed the accessories added on and been just fine for 7 days with the regular pack and guide lid.

These smaller 3400-3500 type packs whether it be EXO SG Kifaru or MR can do it, if you have the right gear and limited basic items.
I would've hated to haul out an elk with all the rest of my pack packed full, but could've done a load out for sure- just would not have been fun at all.

You could do either.

I guess I don’t see the Kifaru as adding more versatility so much as providing more options. Could just be two ways or saying the same thing.

Good point Corbland....
I guess I see options as versatility
Thx for your input

I have the 3500. If I could do it over again, I would have went with the 5500. I always seem to need room for extra gear on colder hunts.

I have the 3500. If I could do it over again, I would have went with the 5500. I always seem to need room for extra gear on colder hunts.
this is really what I based a lot of my opinion off as far as the versatility or shall we say various additional options that Kifaru offers

I remember when I had my tarh 3400 and the weather was going to turn sour I needed more room I was able to add accessories and transform it to over 7000 cubic inches using the same pack

I now use those extra pockets and pouches and transfer them between my various pack setups to increase or decrease my packs accordingly

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Retterath

WKR
yes I have the exo 5500 packed out an elk this year miles in and it is a quality and comfortable pack. Its worth the money, absolutey

twall13

WKR
Since there seems to be a debate going on here about Kifaru vs. Exo I thought I'd chime in with my experience with both. Before I get to that I want to give my answer to the OP's question. In my opinion, a quality pack like the Exo is well worth the money. That said, it depends on how you intend to use it. If you hunt more like Robby Denning, you may not need an Exo or Kifaru frame. For how I hunt most of the time it's important to have a pack that fits me well and can haul weight. If I wasn't worried about hauling weight (Ie. I had horses, etc. for that) I'd find a much cheaper pack with a pocket layout I like. I'd probably be looking at backpacking brands. So whether it's worth it to you or not really depends on how you plan to use it.

Regarding Kifaru vs. Exo... I originally purchased an Exo 3500 in 2015. It's a great pack and hauls weight well. I haven't tried the new K2 frame but the 2015 frame really moved with you well which was great until you get over 65lbs. I used the Exo for a couple of years as I learned more about pack fitment, etc. Through that time I discovered that I have a weird body type where I carry most of my height in my torso (nearly 23" torso and I'm 6'1"). As such, I found the Exo frame slightly short to get full use out of the load lifters. I really like the bag layout of the Exo packs so I ended up attaching Exo bags to a Kifaru frame (I now have a 5500 and a 2000 in lieu of the 3500 but if I could only get one it would be the 5500). Before I sold my Exo frame I compared the two side by side and even got out the measuring tape. The Exo frame is pretty accurate to it's 25" frame length. The 26" Kifaru Hunter Frame is actually closer to 27". This works for me, but again, I have a longer than average torso.

Here is my take on the two frames. The Kifaru hauls heavy loads more comfortably for my body type. The normal composite stays really fit my back profile well and the added height of the frame really allows me to get full use of the load lifters under heavy loads. That said, the Exo is more comfortable for walking around hunting in "daypack" mode. It moves with your body better as you twist and turn maneuvering around deadfall, etc. For me, it becomes a question of which is more important, more comfort under heavy loads or more comfort during the rest of the hunt. I've chosen to stick with the Kifaru frame but I'd honestly be very happy with either. The Exo, while not as comfortable for me under heavy loads, still hauls heavy loads well. The Kifaru, while not as comfortable as the Exo under normal use, is still very comfortable. I personally prefer the belt on the Kifaru (though I've heard the new Exo belts are improved) and like the Pals attachments.

As has been stated many times, it's best if you can try several quality packs on to see what fits you. Since that's not always easy to do, put in some research time and decide on what you think works best for you and the way you plan to hunt. If you are anything like most of us, you can always sell it on here later and recoup most of your money to try something else later.

The belts on the EXO do not allow universal installation of many items outside their own product line, as I don't see any molle webbing, palls webbing or matrixing systems any where. You don't think there are a bunch of products out there designed to fit on a belt? I don't need to worry about a special pistol holster attachment on an Exo belt

My gun bearer or Nalgene bottle holder wont work on their belt. The universal gun bearer works just fine,
and you don't think you could find a nalgene holder with a standard belt attachment?

I like to tie thin gauge bungie cord on my pack outside to allow quick stuffing of clothing layer, but again I don't see any webbing to do that on the EXO. The stretch pocket that comes standard on exo bags works fine for this and breathes well

I think Broodbuster was right about you being a tinkerer. I'd rather a bag comes setup to be versatile out of the gate. It is cleaner that way and you can avoid thinking about accessories falling out of the PALS like has been discussed on here.

I think Broodbuster was right about you being a tinkerer. I'd rather a bag comes setup to be versatile out of the gate. It is cleaner that way and you can avoid thinking about accessories falling out of the PALS like has been discussed on here.

My stuff has never fallen out of the pals- pretty sure that was a QC issue with dimensions a bit wide for tolerance allowed.
I guess I am lucky or the issues were pretty isolated.

I probably am a tinkerer, engineer. I know when a system has engineering designed into it, it is built to handle that. But when a system doesn't have those intended features built in, it usually isn't.

I have the Nalgene bottle I got off Amazon, with the standard belt attachment- and it sucks. It has come in snapped numerous times. Perhaps there is yet another set up that works better than this one I got, like a full Velcro set up w/o a snap button to keep it locked in. My Kifaru nalgene set up has never been an issue how ever. I guess I need to look for a better generic set up, cause the Kifaru one is too $$$ IMO.

The biggest issue for me, and each person is different, when attaching several items to a belt at its padding or strap part is the pressure it puts on that belt. When I load my kifaru belts down, the pals webbing keeps the items supported the whole height of the belt. Other belt systems w/o pals type attachment points running full height, that I have had in the past, creates pinch points and pressure points on the belt points where those items were attached. These packs were not EXO, but had the same design ( padded belt with a strap thru the center of it).
After 5-10 miles a day, those areas were an issue for me.

Stretch pocket is nice but in the end is just a pocket with a limited set size. No doubt gear can be thrown in there, and in some ways I prefer those for certain things that create enough resistance to keep them in place. The bungie cord idea allows almost unlimited amount of space either tied off to it or weaved thru it or both.. It also allows me to put my blaze orange vest there when wearing pack as an additional safety aspect.

I agree- simple is often better- no argument there.

But back to my original case and point- lets reveal all the options for the OP, perhaps he is a tinkerer too, or will become one.
We all look at something and love it, but then might later see a way to "do it better", maybe in a pack system or tent system or what ever.

I am really not trying to make this a Kifaru VS Exo or any other system.
I am merely pointing out the other options for the OP, and benefits of the one I use.
I could go into Eberlestock and a few others, as I have used those as well, but I don't feel they meet the OP idea of a "good investment"

Some recent Seek Outside converts might say you're missing 1 yet ;)

Maybe maybe not. So I cant include it. I do know Argali , another sponser here on Rokslide, runs some of these, so maybe they can shed light on them. But at this point, they really don't have a place in the top 3 or 4. Top 5, there you go. But then we could go top 6,7,8,9,10,11 until we cover all of them.

I will add I thought I had a Stone Glacier pack bought, but someone beat me to it. 3 were on here for $300 each and the big one sold right away.

I really want to try that set up next.

As far as Exo- watching the BRO videos, I really like Lenny. He is the kind of guy, anyone would enjoy hunting with. Steve comes across great as well. He spent the entire rest of that Co hunt filming for these guys.

They are having a Christmas gathering next week in Idaho, and I seriously thought about heading up there, but I will be deer hunting in AZ.

We truly are blessed to have such a variety of quality suppliers aren't we.