EXO 3500, worth the investment?

Some recent Seek Outside converts might say you're missing 1 yet ;)

Just read your write up on SO packs- I appreciate the info and feed back.
I remember a few years ago I inquired about an adjustable stay, and was told it wasn't feasible. Do you feel it is engineered for longevity to the pack restraint system around it under extreme loads?

Just read your write up on SO packs- I appreciate the info and feed back.
I remember a few years ago I inquired about an adjustable stay, and was told it wasn't feasible. Do you feel it is engineered for longevity to the pack restraint system around it under extreme loads?

The extensions are no more likely to fail than the rest of the frame in my opinion. They will withstand more than I dare to try and carry.

Yes I figured that, in asking about the restraint system or the material that holsters them.
Is there enough strength in that to allow them to properly function through the entire weight distribution process

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes I figured that, in asking about the restraint system or the material that holsters them.
Is there enough strength in that to allow them to properly function through the entire weight distribution process

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm not 100% sure I follow. If you are talking about the frame panel that goes over the stays, I don't believe it functionally changes with a change in stay length. The SO frame is not fully encased by the frame panel like others, there is 3 adjustable straps that connect to the bottom of the frame that need to be extended to allow it to slide up. Technically you could loosen the "load sling" that connects to the bottom of the bag and adjust the side compression so the bag sits at the same height in relation to the bottom of the frame after sliding the frame panel up for the longer stays.

If you are talking about bag to frame restraint, I don't see an issue there either. Any heavy load I pack gets strapped to the frame between the frame and bag anyway.

OP
MylesH

MylesH

FNG
So OP, do you have any clue if it is worth it?

Well honestly I didn't expect this many people to be giving me this much wisdom on packs :D. But honestly from what i've taken from this thread is to just go and try on a bunch of packs with a decent amount of weight and see which one fits best. I really liked the idea of going bigger because as stated by many, empty fabric doesn't weigh anything, so whatever I do end up with it will be a larger variation. I'm a pretty big guy, 6'4, so after reading so many comments I think some companies may be suited for different body types so trying them on is the only way to really find out. Thank you all for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

Well honestly I didn't expect this many people to be giving me this much wisdom on packs :D. But honestly from what i've taken from this thread is to just go and try on a bunch of packs with a decent amount of weight and see which one fits best. I really liked the idea of going bigger because as stated by many, empty fabric doesn't weigh anything, so whatever I do end up with it will be a larger variation. I'm a pretty big guy, 6'4, so after reading so many comments I think some companies may be suited for different body types so trying them on is the only way to really find out. Thank you all for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

Let us know what you end up going with!

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider

Since you’re so tall try to reach out to other taller people that maybe have run both the EXO and Kifaru. If I remember correctly that’s about the height Kody Kellom is, and I’ve heard him say that he wishes the frame was a little taller. I could be totally making that up, but I believe it was on one of the FDFT podcasts with South.

I’m 6’1” and I went through some of the same things as you when I was looking for packs. I ended up going with a Kifaru, I got to talk to Aron at the Sportsmans show, and just the feedback from people that have owned them, and the customer service over there are two major reasons I decided to use a Kifaru. Also when you order a pack for them they will set it up as close as they can to fit your body size.

Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I got an EXO 5500 a couple months ago or so for an elk hunt that is almost two years away cause like you, I can't afford that on top of the trip costs. I had my search narrowed down to EXO, Stone Glacier and MR. I remember the day before I ordered, telling a friend that I couldn't believe I was about to spend $600 on a backpack. After some accessories, I was closer to $800. My wife can never know.

I've been a backpacker for 10 years and one of the things I thought before getting the EXO was that external frame packs were less comfortable than internal frames. My 5500 is more comfortable than my osprey atmos ag, and that's a really comfortable pack.

So far I've only used the EXO for beaver trapping since I tagged out on whitetail before I got it, but have been extremely happy with it. When I'm in the field I find myself forgetting its on a lot of the time. It fits me great at 6' 230lbs, medium belt. I'll be putting a new set in in waist deep water, crawling in and out of the river in thick brush, and getting up and down from my hands and knees a lot- and even with 40-50lbs of other traps in there, through all that, I forget about it.

Hauling beavers out has never been easier, too. Beavers are freaking heavy and it's nice being able to pack skins or whole carcasses outside of my main bag compartment.

Can't wait to haul a whitetail or elk quarters with it. Great customer service, too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it's worth it. Had everything from moose to elk to deer packed out in mine. 3500 is big enough for multi day trips imo. I've gone up to 5 days in it. It's a tight fit but it keeps me from bringing unneccessary junk on the trip.

Once you buy a nice pack you'll never go back! Only reason I've considered selling my exo for is to get the newer exo!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Since you’re so tall try to reach out to other taller people that maybe have run both the EXO and Kifaru. If I remember correctly that’s about the height Kody Kellom is, and I’ve heard him say that he wishes the frame was a little taller. I could be totally making that up, but I believe it was on one of the FDFT podcasts with South.

I’m 6’1” and I went through some of the same things as you when I was looking for packs. I ended up going with a Kifaru, I got to talk to Aron at the Sportsmans show, and just the feedback from people that have owned them, and the customer service over there are two major reasons I decided to use a Kifaru. Also when you order a pack for them they will set it up as close as they can to fit your body size.

Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kody is 6'5". I'm 6'3" but that's about the limit you'll wanna go with the EXO frame, unless you are all legs and short torso.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk