EXO 3500, worth the investment?

MylesH

FNG
I plan on DIY backcountry elk and mule deer hunting in the near future and i'm trying to accumulate all the things ill need over time so i don't drop a ton of money at once. Does anyone have any good experience with the EXO 3500? I've been watching BRO land of the free videos and that's all they use to elk hunt. Your input is much appreciated.

When you say DIY backcountry, are you backpacking in? And for how many days at a time? This will determine if 3500 is big enough or if you need to go bigger.

I haven't personally used an Exo, but most that do are very happy with them. I would also look at Kifaru and Stone Glacier packs.

LostArra

WKR
I've been happy with my Exo and it seems to carry a lot more than 3500 but you could still need more space depending on the length of time in the field and efficiency of your gear.

Ridge is right. A lot of good packs out there. Knowing how it will be used is important. I like the Exo for elk hunting but I don't need it for hunting deer here in Oklahoma.

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
I’m doing the same thing as you and have it narrowed down to the ex 3500 or 5500, or the MR Metcalf or Marshall. I️ am waiting to see how many days we will be planning on hunting to determine what size I️ go with. Right now it’s looking like 5 days in the field.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
If you're doing multiple days I'd go bigger and get a 5500, I've done up to 4-5 days with 3500 but sometimes you need to utilise the load shelf for food etc, I wish I'd gotten the 5500 for sure, it is minimal difference weight wise and compresses to same size, price is only downside but probably worth it unless you are only doing overnights

Scoot

WKR
Agree with the posts above. Also, I think you would be better served buying a used Kifaru or Stone Glacier from the classified ads here, but Exo makes a nice pack.

PF_JM

FNG
You should do some hard and heavy hiking with a cheap pack first then get one of the brands mentioned so you can truly appreciate the high end packs. Wearing heavy packs is never comfortable but a cheap pack can make it substantially more miserable.

TheCougar

WKR
Unequivocally yes. Awesome gear. I opted for the 2000 and 5500 bag. You could probably get it all done with 3500 though.

ChukarUp

FNG
I have an EXO 3500, and I love it. Great pack for hauling around camp etc, and very well thought out for packing meat out. Lightweight, built to last. I have only heard positive feedback from others as well. Definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Its definitely bigger than the advertised 3500ci. I love mine, and can easily spend a week in the backcountry with it. I think the problem with going much bigger than this pack, you tend to pack for shit that you may not necessarily need. Not saying this pack is necessarily small, but it will keep you "honest" with what you really need for a week. That being said, I have packed out a handful of animals with it, carried my double-bull into some deep turkey hunting spots, carried 2 treestands at a time for my little boy and myself. Its been a great packpack.

Love my 2016 Exo 3500. I use it for day hunts up to 5-day backpack hunts. I will probably get the 5500 bag some day when I need to do week+ trips, but the 3500 fits my needs for now.

DWinVA

WKR
I’ve had my 3500 since they first came out. i’ve trained with it, hunted and packed out eastern whitetail, spring gobbler hunted and used it on 2 unsuccessful CO elk hunts. It has been well worth the investment.

God Bless.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I plan on DIY backcountry elk and mule deer hunting in the near future and i'm trying to accumulate all the things ill need over time so i don't drop a ton of money at once. Does anyone have any good experience with the EXO 3500? I've been watching BRO land of the free videos and that's all they use to elk hunt. Your input is much appreciated.

Yes, the Exo is worth the money. I'm actually writing my review right now and hope to have it published in the next week or so.

I would also recommend looking at Kifaru and Stone Glacier packs. Your best bet is to try them all out with some weight and see what fits your body the best.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Exo 5500 is a great size . Its large enough for longer trips and pulls down small enough for daypack uses. Best of all worlds at only one price . I have 2 .

GotDraw?

WKR
I have many weeks of experience with the 3500. Great bag. You can go 5 days if your gear is compact and light and you use the smallest stove possible. I've done it during archery season, but the bag was totally maxed out. Without second thought, I'd buy the 5500 if I had it to do again. If you are cold weather hunting, your insulated gear needs will require more room than archery season (generally speaking).

Yes, the 5500 invites over-packing so it's up to you to control the good idea fairy. The 3500 has less space, weighs only a few ounces less and I have been unable to find a fabric stretcher to make the bag larger when needed.

If you buy a 5500, I will trade you my 3500 plus the cost differential.

JL

I’ve been using my Exo 3500 since it was first produced. I first used it on a drop camp moose hunt. We were flown into the Alaska Range and hunted out of camp for 10 days. The pack was perfect for the amount of gear I needed to haul out of camp. It’s been my go to pack for elk and mule deer hunting back home here in Washington State. Having said that, if looking at hiking in for an extended stay you may want to look at the 5500. The only problem I had with the pack was the material can get a little noisy in cold weather.

I just picked up a Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 while I was in Bozeman last week. I’ve wanted a bigger pack for a while and I’m not sure yet that the Stone Glacier is Better but I’ll find out how I like it soon enough. So I’m saying I don’t think you can go wrong with the Exo 3500 but you might think about the 5500.

What Justin said. I went through the pack upgrade process four years ago. There are several great pack companies out there. There are lots of guys with quality, specific, insightful experience who can highlight differences and discuss their relative merits.

You'll still want to try to get a chance to load up and strap different ones on to see how they handle on your back and check out which bag styles you prefer for the type of hunting and camping you do.

My only advice is to get a pack from one of the several quality makers, that allows you to bend the stays for a custom fit to your back contour.
I own a kifaru with the aluminum stays. TO my knowledge, it is the only one of the major hunting pack makers that offers that option. Not saying a stock composite Kifaru, an EXO, a SO reveolution, SG X curve, etc..... wouldn't be exactly right for you. I'm just saying that 6 ounces to a pound and a half of pack weight means absolutely nothing but to satisfy the bean between your ears. It is much more important to have the PERFECT fit verus brag about how light your pack is when we are talking a pound or two. And, the only time you will notice that extra weight is when you pick it up to shoulder it. It won't be felt on your back. I promise.

Buy what suits you but know this. If everytie you stop you find yourself wanting to get out of the pack harness, you got an improper fit. The only time I take mine off is if I need something out of it, need to let my back dry or, plan to set for a long while. It is that comfortable. If you can't say that about the pack you choose, you need to find one that allows you fine tun until you do. Buy once right and be happy you did is my only advice. God Bless