What factors determine a unit being OTC?

AdamW

WKR
Stupid question, so fire away. :cool:

What factors determine a unit being over the counter and/or unlimited tags? I've always been curious how the size of the herd, etc. comes in to play for turning hundreds (or more) of hunters loose in one unit potentially. Population so high it needs to be controlled well, population so low it takes 600 hunters to kill the 9 bulls they want to remove? :D Any other factors beyond population?

CorbLand

WKR
I would imagine access plays a role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PF_JM

FNG
Depredation on agriculture and competition with livestock is a big one. Some areas are managed for trophy quality, some for opportunity. Some units have restrictive terrain that deters a lot of hunters from participating beyond road hunting and very low success rates for the hunters that do hunt it. Some are managed for other species to thrive so they reduce competition for that specific species. That's from what I have seen and heard from biologists.

vanish

WKR
In Colorado, its generally two factors: whether they believe the unit can be managed for trophies, and success rates. If a unit has little trophy potential ( due to genetics, habitat, etc) and it being open to OTC still has a low success rate, then there is no problem keeping it OTC. Additionally, some places are very low animal density and CPW does not care to have a population established in that area, usually due to conflicts with agriculture; eastern plains elk, arkansas river whitetails.

In California , if a Zone sells out ( hits tag quota) prior to the draw deadline the next year its a draw. There are also restricted zones that if the zones sells out prior to July 1st the following year you are restricted to only purchasing 1 tag in that zone .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Any other factors beyond population?"

Speaking from a Colorado resident's (jaded) viewpoint the former Colorado Division of Wildlife (now Colorado Parks and Wildlife) has the singular goal of selling the most licenses it can with little or no regard to the quality of the experience for its "customers". Just my subjective opinion, having hunted Colorado big game for 35 years. No stats, no quotes, just my two cents and likely worth no more.

OP
AdamW

AdamW

WKR
"Any other factors beyond population?"

Speaking from a Colorado resident's (jaded) viewpoint the former Colorado Division of Wildlife (now Colorado Parks and Wildlife) has the singular goal of selling the most licenses it can with little or no regard to the quality of the experience for its "customers". Just my subjective opinion, having hunted Colorado big game for 35 years. No stats, no quotes, just my two cents and likely worth no more.

If that is the case, why isn't the whole state OTC?

slick

WKR
Cause they can generate money off of limited (trophy) applications too. Then sell those unsuccessful folks an OTC license.

TheTone

WKR
Depredation on agriculture and competition with livestock is a big one. .

This can be a massive one that many don't take into account. Many of the replies here are doing a good job touching on the reasons why units are managed the way they are.

HookUp

WKR
Be happy some states issue a lot of tags. There is quality animals in every unit and usually the limiting factor is how far you are willing to go.