Input on new construction job

Superintendents become superintendents from being top guys at their jobs in whatever field they're in. Walking on as an assistant without any knowledge of how to do the work, what types of work being done, or why things need to happen when they happen is going to be a challenge. My advice would be to work your way up the ranks like everyone else. You need to have a really good understanding of all aspects of the types of construction the company does. You'll get that by working your way up the ranks, not by being an assistant. Nevermind the shit you're going to get from all the guys! Either way, good luck and try to be out in the field as much as you can.

Depends man. Some companies call people superintendents who primarily take production reports from foreman and make spreadsheets, write reports, fill out purchase orders, make sure payroll is taken care of, and order materials..

mtmuley

WKR
wind gypsy and R Davis give solid advice. I worked my way up from board packer at 18 through the ranks and am now a PM. Just being honest, but the thing I hated the most was working under a supervisor with no in the field experience. That's what you'll have to work through. Pay attention to the skilled guys. mtmuley

mtmuley

WKR
Depends man. Some companies call people superintendents who primarily take production reports from foreman and make spreadsheets, write reports, fill out purchase orders, make sure payroll is taken care of, and order materials..

Sounds more like a secretary. mtmuley

I'm in Louisville KY. The Spanish thing is great advice.
I'm two hours west of you and it's amazing the amount of Hispanic people that live in these parts. They either do construction or field work. It's not just Texas and California with an immigration problem.

Learning Spanish is almost a necessity anymore. I called the IRS last year and had to push 1 for english. The IRS people, the freaking U.S. government, and I had to push 1 for english. Pitiful

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

woods89

WKR
My field is a little different, I'm co-owner of a two man crew that works mostly on single family rural remodel projects with some new construction thrown in. That said, it's still the same industry and here are a few things I would keep in mind.

Accept from the start that it will be a real challenge to start from outside the industry in management.Be prepared to face some resentment from field guys for that. A guy who has spent the last 10-15 years in a trade, paid attention, worked hard, and built a level of expertise is a well educated person, whether he has a degree for it or not. Remember that when you deal with them.

An occasional box of donuts or pizza showing up at the site never hurts!

As has been said, if your on site, make yourself useful. Help hold something up, help clean up, whatever will streamline the work going on. If possible, show up in work clothes.

Good luck! It's an interesting field to work in!

I'm two hours west of you and it's amazing the amount of Hispanic people that live in these parts. They either do construction or field work. It's not just Texas and California with an immigration problem

If there are hard working Americans wanting to do that construction and field work, where are they hiding? (Sorry for the hijack)

Beendare

WKR
My degree is in construction management (yes, its a real 4 year degree..) and have also been in the industry since I was old enough to work. The good thing is with the right attitude and desire to learn you can be very successful but it will be work.

An assistant supt means different things depending on the company and sector of the construction industry. You will be able to get a better answer about duties and advancement opportunity from the company than we can give.

Assuming you're not experienced in the construction industry by your post - A couple things:
1. Earning the respect of your subordinates who are likely more knowledgeable than you will be difficult but you need to concentrate on doing it, "Because I'm your boss" or throwing your higher position at them is a bad idea. If you are fair and go to bat for them, help them, with time you can earn respect. They will know you know less, give them an opportunity to teach you rather than being aloof or timid to show your lack of knowledge. It shows them you respect their knowledge and want to know more so you can set them up for success.

2. Attitude is everything. People in construction will bitch a lot, be the positive person. Things will go wrong but morale is huge, be a leader in keeping morale high.

Great post....and the reason its a great post;

You can imagine its tricky starting at mid level in a field when you have never actually worked in the field. You have no actual experience...so not only do you not know the right processes, techniques...but you don't know what the finished product is supposed to be.

Thats said, a smart guy can figure this stuff out rather quickly....not all of it..but enough. And then if you have experienced journeymen guys helping you...you will be fine. I can tell you they aren't paying you squat...but you don't know anything yet. There is plenty of room in construction to make some decent money.

They are offering a $6,000 bonus to any employee that finds them a foreman on the Apple campus project...as long as the foreman works 3 months...they get the bonus. So you can imagine the pay scale for those experienced guys that they end up keeping is pretty good. Of course the problem here is the cost of living....you have to make decent money to live here...or you have a long grind of a commute every day.

WRO

WKR
Hospitals, churches, schools, other big buildings, and additions/renovations to those types of buildings. No residential other than some really big high end condos.
Learn all you can and work hard, you have the potential to make 100k+ a year in 5 or 6 years. Good supers in Portland are making 125-140 a year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
If there are hard working Americans wanting to do that construction and field work, where are they hiding? (Sorry for the hijack)

X2

We aren't looking to hire, but I know some guys who would love to meet some of these hard working Americans! Especially if they can pass a drug test!

gbflyer

WKR
Learn the paperwork, show no weakness, don't get offended by personal attack, and never tell how you got the job. In a months time you'll fit right in.

WRO

WKR
Learn the paperwork, show no weakness, don't get offended by personal attack, and never tell how you got the job. In a months time you'll fit right in.
I'll add, learn how to schedule, and be proactive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i'll add that I hope you have thick skin!! I work in Industrial construction all across the northwest, we build water treatment plants for cities. I work with some great guys but its a really steep learning curve! I was nearly 40 when I left logging and went to construction, old dogs can learn new tricks I guess.

KClark

WKR
Enroll in night course and learn to read blue prints and acquire the construction vocabulary, nothing will make you look worse to someone who's respect you need than having a deer in the headlights look when he asks you if 19/A7 applies to all cornices.

My field (high rises in Chicago) is changing fast. The physical construction is the same, but finding information, coordination, and navigation of digital prints is new to most of us. It’s hard for us old dogs to get used to the new system. If you can get experience with Plangrid, Bluebeam, 3D cad, etc., you can become valuable in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billinsd

WKR
Superintendents become superintendents from being top guys at their jobs in whatever field they're in. Walking on as an assistant without any knowledge of how to do the work, what types of work being done, or why things need to happen when they happen is going to be a challenge. My advice would be to work your way up the ranks like everyone else. You need to have a really good understanding of all aspects of the types of construction the company does. You'll get that by working your way up the ranks, not by being an assistant. Nevermind the shit you're going to get from all the guys! Either way, good luck and try to be out in the field as much as you can.
Absolutely. I work in construction as a CM and am a Registered Civil Engineer. I work with lots of Superintendents and most are really smart, and extremely hard working. Most get paid a good salarly and work crazy long hours. Being a superintendent means maximizing profits for the company. They are a slave to the company. Great people they are. Superintendents are responsible for the whole project. It's a really rough job, and although they can make pretty good money, especially considering most don't have a college degree, they earn every penny. I know some that got out of being a superintendent later in life and became inspectors and made less money, but were much happier to get a life again. No way would I recommend that kind of career or life style. You are educated, you can do better or go back to college and get a degree that can earn you the lifestyle you want. If you really want to do it, you gotta get a shovel and get in a trench or a hammer, work up to foreman, then Superintendent.

R Davis

FNG
For what its worth, I'm a foreman for a steel erector 4hrs north of you. I'm around superintendents of different trades most work days including reporting to my own superintendent.

Like some other guys have said, don't be afraid to jump in and help. Carry a small notepad and write things down. Ask questions to better understand different things. Dont be a pushover but dont be too serious. Be the first guy there and the last guy to leave. Dont walk past mistakes.

Reputations go a long way in construction. Make sure you develop a good one.

I've also been in construction my whole life and there's a lot of great advice here. Be thick skinned, no matter what someone on the job is gonna be unhappy and you're gonna take the brunt of it. Like a lot of other guys have said, you're the new guy with no experience and it's gonna frustrate some people. But taking the time to learn from them is gonna be a big help, I've always felt like a good super was there to assist you in getting the different trades work done, not doing it for them but not hindering them. The best supers I've known have been guys willing to jump in a ditch or on a forklift to unload a semi when no one else was available. These guys are old school and rare now. Be that guy. Also some subs are traveling, hours sometimes, to get to the job. Scheduling is a huge deal, I can't tell you how many times I've shown up on a site because the assistant or the super has told me their ready for me only to find out trades in front of us have another day or two to finish up before we can start. Don't do this to any of the trades.
Like a lot of the guys have said, it's a full time job babysitting adults with some guys, but it's a lot of fun! I can't really imagine being in something other than construction.