Input on new construction job

I assume that there are several members that work in the construction field, so I wanted to ask for some insight on my new job.
So, I have a degree in Exercise Physiology and have worked the last 8 years as a Clinical Exercise Phys and a fitness coach. The issue has become, both of these jobs are turning into dead ends, no advancement opportunity. My wife's cousin is the CFO for a major industrial construction company and encouraged me to look into opportunities with them. So, after a phone interview and a meeting with their Field Operation Manager, I have unofficially gotten a job as a Assistant Superintendent, they are deciding where and which Superintendent to put me with. I will start at 22/hr full-time, after 3 months full benefits, 401k etc. After 6 months a review and raise. What should I expect to do in my role, and what would you expect for advancement and such? Any other advice?

Being in construction my whole life, I had a reply all typed out. Decided not to post it as all these guys would just accuse me of being a 'negative Nancy' again. Good luck with your new venture.....

cnelk

WKR
Basically you'll be doing stuff to support the Superintendent - processing change orders, updating construction schedules, scheduling sub-contractors, ordering materials, going to meetings, safety inspections, phone calls, emails ....

You'll be the one that people call when when something goes wrong... which is a lot

Get the experience, you may like it

Dunndm

WKR
It's a full time babysitting service with most of the guys lazy and not caring.
I'm a general Contractor in LA.. not sure where you are but if you are in LA or any sanctuary city. Learn Spanish or your job is going to be miserable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Yep get ready to get your ass chewed by everyone from every side of the job. You will learn combinations of swear words you never new existed. Don't take it personally it's just the nature of the construction business

Dunndm

WKR
I forget the Spanish part. I live in the middle of no where and I need to learn it.

Well then, you better know what a finished product should look like and how to get it there. Cause if someone messes up. You gotta fix it. Don't get me wrong it's going to be a good fun job. But get ready to baby sit grown men

OP
Warren1726
It's a full time babysitting service with most of the guys lazy and not caring.
I'm a general Contractor in LA.. not sure where you are but if you are in LA or any sanctuary city. Learn Spanish or your job is going to be miserable.

I'm in Louisville KY. The Spanish thing is great advice.

Dunndm

WKR
I'm in Louisville KY. The Spanish thing is great advice.

Not sure if you are serious or kidding (never been that way)
Last word of advice. Since you are coming on as a assistant superintendent and will be "higher" rank than most guys. Good luck earning there respect. That'll be the most difficult challenge.. without that. Work won't get done

My degree is in construction management (yes, its a real 4 year degree..) and have also been in the industry since I was old enough to work. The good thing is with the right attitude and desire to learn you can be very successful but it will be work.

An assistant supt means different things depending on the company and sector of the construction industry. You will be able to get a better answer about duties and advancement opportunity from the company than we can give.

Assuming you're not experienced in the construction industry by your post - A couple things:
1. Earning the respect of your subordinates who are likely more knowledgeable than you will be difficult but you need to concentrate on doing it, "Because I'm your boss" or throwing your higher position at them is a bad idea. If you are fair and go to bat for them, help them, with time you can earn respect. They will know you know less, give them an opportunity to teach you rather than being aloof or timid to show your lack of knowledge. It shows them you respect their knowledge and want to know more so you can set them up for success.

2. Attitude is everything. People in construction will bitch a lot, be the positive person. Things will go wrong but morale is huge, be a leader in keeping morale high.

Dunndm

WKR
My degree is in construction management (yes, its a real 4 year degree..) and have also been in the industry since I was old enough to work. The good thing is with the right attitude and desire to learn you can be very successful but it will be work.

An assistant supt means different things depending on the company and sector of the construction industry. You will be able to get a better answer about duties and advancement opportunity from the company than we can give.

Assuming you're not experienced in the construction industry by your post - A couple things:
1. Earning the respect of your subordinates who are likely more knowledgeable than you will be difficult but you need to concentrate on doing it, "Because I'm your boss" or throwing your higher position at them is a bad idea. If you are fair and go to bat for them, help them, with time you can earn respect. They will know you know less, give them an opportunity to teach you rather than being aloof or timid to show your lack of knowledge. It shows them you respect their knowledge and want to know more so you can set them up for success.

2. Attitude is everything. People in construction will bitch a lot, be the positive person. Things will go wrong but morale is huge, be a leader in keeping morale high.

1. Exactly what I said, If you don't have there respect and say "I'm your boss" might as well pack up and leave

OP
Warren1726
Not sure if you are serious or kidding (never been that way)
Last word of advice. Since you are coming on as a assistant superintendent and will be "higher" rank than most guys. Good luck earning there respect. That'll be the most difficult challenge.. without that. Work won't get done

I'm serious. Most subcontractors are hispanic here. I am going in humble, I'm planning on being respectful and asking a lot of questions and taking advice from my subordinates. My best attribute is probably my ability to deal with people. I know i'll need it!

OP
Warren1726

Thanks for this great advice. I really want to get a basic knowledge of all aspects of the projects and I am told I'll be working with the skilled laborers to learn the ropes. I am not the type to act like I know things I don't. I get the feeling i have a real steep learning curve ahead of me!

R Davis

FNG
Superintendents become superintendents from being top guys at their jobs in whatever field they're in. Walking on as an assistant without any knowledge of how to do the work, what types of work being done, or why things need to happen when they happen is going to be a challenge. My advice would be to work your way up the ranks like everyone else. You need to have a really good understanding of all aspects of the types of construction the company does. You'll get that by working your way up the ranks, not by being an assistant. Nevermind the shit you're going to get from all the guys! Either way, good luck and try to be out in the field as much as you can.

I forget the Spanish part. I live in the middle of no where and I need to learn it.

I've at times found it awful convenient to not know Spanish. Example: on a project near Brownsville, TX an average of 30 non English speaking job seekers walked into the office daily "No habla Espanol. Monica, can you help this gentleman" and back to work.

O.P. - What does the contractor build?

Pay attention and try to understand contracts, responsibility, and liability. That and scheduling seems to be what general superintendents worry about the most by me. Never trust the owner of your subcontractors if dealing with them direct. Try to keep your ego out of your decision making.
Good luck

OP
Warren1726
I've at times found it awful convenient to not know Spanish. Example: on a project near Brownsville, TX an average of 30 non English speaking job seekers walked into the office daily "No habla Espanol. Monica, can you help this gentleman" and back to work.

O.P. - What does the contractor build?
Hospitals, churches, schools, other big buildings, and additions/renovations to those types of buildings. No residential other than some really big high end condos.

AdamW

WKR
Great advice from wind gypsy.

Job titles don't mean anything as to what you will be doing, that varies widely from company to company, construction or otherwise. You'll figure out the duties as you get your feet wet and get introduced. One that has really got me over the years is "all other duties as assigned..." :D

Construction guys are just like every other job: some of them are great, some are good, and some shouldn't even be there. See if you can find ways to help them out, even if it is small stuff like helping pack stuff up at the end of the day so they can go home. There is probably a crew chief or some other lead laborer. Get to be friendly with him and (if you can be of help and run things up the ladder) ask what are some things that could make their jobs easier, more organized, etc. Just showing your intention isn't to just sit in the job trailer and drink coffee all day is a big start.

First days and learning the ropes are always fun. Don't sweat it. The first thing I do when someone new starts at work is introduce myself and say "First days are always fun, let me know if you need anything at all about anything at all" and try to crack some jokes. Helps take the edge off.