Question about owning property in Alaska

I’ve got an opportunity to buy my father in law’s small place in Nikiski AK. I’ve tried reading and researching and just cannot figure all these regulations out. What am I allowed to do hunting and fishing wise? Does owning property have any extra benefits besides having somewhere to go to sleep? My wife was born there so it does have some sentimental value but she probably wouldn’t buy it from them without me. We are all going up there in ‘19. I’ve wanted to go to AK since I can remember and I’m super pumped about it. I appreciate any help I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
Owning land does not a resident make, you must live in the state for 365 days to establish residency for hunting and fishing purposes. Nice to have a "basecamp" for visits and like many others a "once in a lifetime trip" often leads to many more or even staying.

VernAK

WKR
Owning land does not a resident make, you must live in the state for 365 days to establish residency for hunting and fishing purposes. Nice to have a "basecamp" for visits and like many others a "once in a lifetime trip" often leads to many more or even staying.

^^^^^^
No landowner benefits for hunting and a long drive from better hunting IMO.
Also not my favorite neighborhood but perhaps family has sorted that out.

OP
LIWolverine
Does the next of kin rule apply to all hunting?
The main reason my in laws own it is for the fishing in the Kenai. Don’t really know why they chose that particular property though. My father in law was a big time king fisher. Used to outfit and guide for fish.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

Nope, only brown bear/griz, sheep, and goat. And it only means if a next of kin lives there, you can hunt those species if they go with you instead of hiring a guide. You still need a non-res license/tag. For all other species, next of kin doesn't matter.

VernAK

WKR
The main reason my in laws own it is for the fishing in the Kenai. Don’t really know why they chose that particular property though. My father in law was a big time king fisher. Used to outfit and guide for fish.

I sure wish it was "kin" and not "kindred" as it's a very abused loophole.
The "kindred" provision relates primarily to brown bear and sheep.
Kenai River fishing ain't what it once was and crowds are overwhelming!

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Nikiski isn't exactly riverfront property. Unless you're talking about staying all summer, you might be better off booking a lodge in Soldotna/Sterling/Cooper Landing like everybody else.

I'm not sure what any benefit would be for a lower 48er to own property in AK unless one was retired or planning on spending every summer up there. Just a pipe dream. Better plan is to save your $$$ and make it a goal to become financially independent early so you could spend all your summers there. It's beautiful country you'll love it.
DA

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
The 2nd Degree Kindred Rule also requires that person to be with 100 yards of the hunter. I am assuming that this place has cabin on it? How good of a deal is the father inlaw giving you?

But like others have said, unless your planning to spend month up her or retire, probably best to save the money.

One of the residents can confirm this but, they have no state income tax, so I believe property taxes are higher than you might otherwise expect.

hodgeman

WKR
One of the residents can confirm this but, they have no state income tax, so I believe property taxes are higher than you might otherwise expect.

Depends on the area, property taxes are a borough or municipality issue- some areas have incredibly high property taxes and some have none. You can expect services commensurate with those rates as well.

OP
LIWolverine
I really appreciate all the info!

It would cost me $4,000 to buy it and $80 in taxes per year with no cabin. I could have a small one built. Has road access. I’d almost pay someone $80 year just for the right to say i own property in AK. I’ll most likely end up doing just because of the $. I probably won’t miss it. I have a seasonal business so I wont have to work half the year from July- Mid Jan. This is a HUGE driving factor. If this wasn’t the case we probably would never consider it. My wife and I are looking for property all over the US in spots we would like to spend time. Worst case, land isn’t ever going to go down and if I can afford to sit on it I don’t see any reason not to.

AdamW

WKR
$4k, I'd likely do it in a heartbeat. How big of a place are we talking?

I really appreciate all the info!

It would cost me $4,000 to buy it and $80 in taxes per year with no cabin. I could have a small one built. Has road access. I’d almost pay someone $80 year just for the right to say i own property in AK. I’ll most likely end up doing just because of the $. I probably won’t miss it. I have a seasonal business so I wont have to work half the year from July- Mid Jan. This is a HUGE driving factor. If this wasn’t the case we probably would never consider it. My wife and I are looking for property all over the US in spots we would like to spend time. Worst case, land isn’t ever going to go down and if I can afford to sit on it I don’t see any reason not to.

Wow, that’s cheap! How big is the lot, if you don’t mind me asking? Property taxes down on the peninsula are on the cheaper side, generally speaking, but for $80/yr., I’m guessing that the borough has the land valued at a fair amount more than 4K. We have 2 acres (road accessible), and a 850 sf cabin and shed with well, septic, and power, down there, and our annual taxes are only $156/yr.

OP
LIWolverine
$4k, I'd likely do it in a heartbeat. How big of a place are we talking?

Wow, that’s cheap! How big is the lot, if you don’t mind me asking? Property taxes down on the peninsula are on the cheaper side, generally speaking, but for $80/yr., I’m guessing that the borough has the land valued at a fair amount more than 4K. We have 2 acres (road accessible), and a 850 sf cabin and shed with well, septic, and power, down there, and our annual taxes are only $156/yr.

It’s only 1 acre but man the $ sure seems right to me.

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Alaska and if someone offered a acre of road accessible land to be on the KP I would buy it.