Texas/Louisiana Hogs

I put in for a crew that will start in Lafayette LA the first week of January then it goes to Houston around March/February. Being from Montana the only reason to drive 2000 miles for this crew is the possibility of shooting hogs. Sometimes I've been wanting to do for a long time. And might as well have work front the gas bill!

Anyone in the Houston area that could line me out or would want to meet up for a few weekend hunts? Either a cheap outfitter or rancher just wanting hogs gone?

If there was more public access in TX I'd just go that route. But being my first time and wanting to have a lot of success I'd like to set myself up for it.

Anyone know how bad it is to ship meat from Texas to a northern state like Montana?

Planning on bringing the Daniel Defense with heavy Barnes and a light. Also will have the longbow. Anything else I need to bring? What's the snake situation this time of year?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Snakes any time down there and probably won't find a free hunt. Most are trying to recoup some of the cost of the hog damage by selling hunts. You should however find a decent hunt without limits or trophy fees. January into February is a great time to hunt hogs. You may need some night hunting capabilities if not going with an outfitter, rifle light or thermal imaging. I would not use a .223, take your deer rifle. Big boars have a very thick shield . 223 can kill them but it is not the ideal round. A 243 would be much better with a heavier, perhaps bonded, bullet.
You may find a nice swap hunt since you're from Montana, offer something up if possible. They are fun to archery hunt, your longbow would be great.
I would freeze the meat then drive it back home. We quarter our hogs and bring home whole hams and front shoulders with the ribs and straps for the smoker, tenders too.Best eating ones are any sows and boars under about 200 lbs. The smell of a big boar will make the decision for you on those.
They are a blast to hunt!!

Felix40

WKR
Plenty of public land hog hunting to be had down here. If you are looking for easy handouts its not the place to go but theres no reason a guy couldnt kill some hogs on public land. You have nat forest and lots of WMAs. Download the texas public hunting booklet for WMA info. Start looking in low areas near creeks and streams. Follow sign into thickets to find where they are bedding and start killing them. Snakes can be out any time but shouldnt be a real issue. A .223 will work but its a long way from ideal. I would be bringing a shotgun and a bigger rifle if I was planning to hubt public. Shots can happen fast and in thick brush.

I put in for a crew that will start in Lafayette LA the first week of January then it goes to Houston around March/February. Being from Montana the only reason to drive 2000 miles for this crew is the possibility of shooting hogs. Sometimes I've been wanting to do for a long time. And might as well have work front the gas bill!

Anyone in the Houston area that could line me out or would want to meet up for a few weekend hunts? Either a cheap outfitter or rancher just wanting hogs gone?

If there was more public access in TX I'd just go that route. But being my first time and wanting to have a lot of success I'd like to set myself up for it.

Anyone know how bad it is to ship meat from Texas to a northern state like Montana?

Planning on bringing the Daniel Defense with heavy Barnes and a light. Also will have the longbow. Anything else I need to bring? What's the snake situation this time of year?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Most of Texas’s NF is outside of Houston. It is not called the big thicket for no reason though.

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily hunt hogs, and I would not rely on a 223 if i wasnt hunting in a stand.

Generally, most members of our club wont take guests if all the guest has is a 223. You want enough authority to knock them down - they will usually run in place on their side. But if you dont knock them down, tracking a small caliber wound can be brutal. Their fat tends to clot a lot of bleeding.

gelton

WKR
Speaking of the big thicket - take a look at the Sabine National Forest...on your way from Lafayette to Houston, grew up hunting that area, and my in laws still do...definitely not short on the pigs.

I would be interested in some sort of swap hunt if you, if not then we could work something out. My family and friends farm about 2 hours south of Houston, we have night vision and thermal set up on Ar15’s, or could probaby get you set up with a bow hunting trip also if you would like. I live in Houston and could drive you down there and do some hunting a couple of weekends