First Lite follows suit .....

Trial153

WKR
Saw this posted on bowsite. Interesting to see this change. Thoughts ? Comments ?

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 First Lite Restructures Distribution Model
Ketchum, ID- First Lite, a brand synonymous with premium gear, design innovation, and active conservation announced its shift towards a direct-to-consumer sales model. Beginning with the 2018 season, First Lite products will be available exclusively at firstlite.com and select third party marketplaces including Amazon.com and others.

"After careful consideration, thorough analysis and a great deal of discussion we've decided to restructure our distribution model to position the company to best serve our customers and distribute our premium product where and how they--the end customer--want," said Kenton Carruth, First Lite Co-CEO. "This move will allow First Lite to continue to innovate new technologies and support our conservation efforts while also directly serving the customer exactly how they want to be served. Ultimately, we are letting our customers dictate the direction of the brand instead of the other way around."

"We understand that this will impact many long-standing partners and we are committed to taking the appropriate steps to help ease the transition for our current dealers," explains Carruth. "We could not be more thankful and appreciative to the retail partners who have supported and believed in us over the past ten years."

Established in 2007, First Lite has grown a direct relationship with consumers since its inception and has seen its business move organically in that direction more and more every year. As the company completes this transition, First Lite will work directly with effected partners on tailor made business solutions, while continuing to focus on its value equation for consumers; the best gear on the market at the best possible price, unparalleled customer service and an industry leading warranty.

For more information please contact [email protected].

About First Lite Born in the Rockies, at First Lite our mission is to create simple, proven, versatile gear that provides comfort and performance in any situation, while working to promote the pursuit of ethical hunting and stewardship. For more information visit Home page.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
That’s interesting. I wonder if the pricing structure will reflect those changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Yeah doubt prices change as they are already competitive with the competition.

NDGuy

WKR
Unfortunately I might have to steer away from them then, there is something to be said about being able to try on clothes before purchasing. Their sizing is very hit or miss for me and having to potentially pay for shipping two ways if something doesn't fit isn't a great feeling.

Luked

WKR
Unfortunately I might have to steer away from them then, there is something to be said about being able to try on clothes before purchasing. Their sizing is very hit or miss for me and having to potentially pay for shipping two ways if something doesn't fit isn't a great feeling.
I can see that as well as far as being able to try something on before buying is a big thing. but for me its not really there anyway since no one around carries First Lite other than Bass Pro and even their stock in the store is very limited. I did manage to try on a Uncompregre puffy not long ago to get a size guess but other than that and a some base layers that was all Bass pro even had in the main store in Springfield MO here.

there might be some sales from some of the dealers that have stock now possibly.

ChrisS

WKR
This is a big thing with clothing retailers being online or difficult to find. I have one piece from them that I'll never pay money for again because the size was so wonky that I can't trust it going forward without free returns. On top of that, First Lite typically has a pretty limited supply since it appears they don't restock all that often from their manufacturer and you can't be guaranteed to get a replacement piece. The option is to pre-order everything you may want in multiple sizes and then return what doesn't fit 6-8 weeks later when it comes in..

Last edited:
OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Move less product at higher margins. That’s usually the impetus for this move. The downside usually is limited inventory on hand. Hopefully they can make this transition successful. Leaves a lot of retail partners in the cold though and that’s a big hurdle to over come. Most of the time this direct to consumer models start out that way, this is interesting as its the other way around. It will either be a homerun or a death blow as it’s very hard to re establish your retailer base after you dumped them.

OR Archer

WKR
As a First Lite retailer this is really disappointing. We’ve been a dealer since almost the beginning and have really embraced and promoted their products. Sad they had to take it this direction.

NDGuy

WKR
As a First Lite retailer this is really disappointing. We’ve been a dealer since almost the beginning and have really embraced and promoted their products. Sad they had to take it this direction.

Love how they are still keeping with select retailers like Amazon...like they need anymore business...SMH:rolleyes:

HeadnWest

WKR

That really sucks for you and the rest of the first lite dealers. Sorry to hear that. I wonder if Sitka will benefit from this now that they have less competition in the dealer market?

AdamW

WKR
Since I always buy during sales, with Rokslide or other coupon codes, buy from places with free shipping, etc. I'm kind of bummed to see this, but from a business model perspective, I get it.

As for liking to try on in store, about a year ago I estimated how much time and gas money I spent driving to places that would (hopefully) have the item I wanted in my sizes to try on vs the number of times per year I had to pay to return/exchange something like that. At worst case, it's a wash for me if you don't count the value of your time driving to the stores. Buy what size you think you need and if it doesn't fit, eh it happens.

Hopefully this keeps the profit margins in house at First Lite and allows them to expand in to higher end fabrics, etc.

It is becoming a basic business model. Let the fewer warehouses hold inventory, other companies don't stock items but advertise them and then drop ship from established warehouses.

Most sales in the US economy are being generated from online sales, not enough support to local business to warrant their use, though as stated, being able to try them on, is a great tool, but again, the majority of sales are online produced.

In a limited market with more and more companies jumping in to take their piece of the pie, companies always have to do what is necessary to keep profit margins appealing to investors. This is often a strategy that precedes a buy out or selling of brand. Not saying that will happen here, but no doubt it is financially driven to the demo-graph that responds most to their past business model.

Once you get big, it is harder to control the edges of profit margins, reducing the dealers, sales and other logistic nightmares, while finding a way to increase those same sales, helps shave the excess waste while it continues to generate more sales.

Time will prove if this is wise or foolish.
In the end it will benefit them, though there may be backlash in the beginning.
They may lose the consumer who was using multiple brands (Sitka, Kuiu,Kryptek,Skre etc), but will also open a door to reach a broader range of people.
Look for their market research models to include more hikers, campers, and other non hunting groups. I doubt they ever appeal to anti hunting groups, but certainly the market for special clothing, is way bigger than just the hunting community.

dotman

WKR
Online shopping is the wave of the present and future, easier to manage inventory when you don’t have to supply retailers product. Really being a niche market I think it is a good move and if I was an investor I would approve as it should keep online inventories in stock longer with higher margins.

I wouldn’t doubt if we see Sitka promote this route more in the future and eventually pullout of retail.

I think Kryptek quietly did this a few years ago as well.

MIKEYB

WKR
One thing that irritates me with seasonal inventory. I have my heart set on a piece. Then the search begins to find my size and preferred color(if any) in stock with all the different retailers out there. If in stock with several retailers, trying to find the best price or coupon for said garment.

Id prefer to have one place to really look or buy used.

Sucks for the little retailers, that are/were pushing the product. Not surprised with the move, what surprises me is that more companies have not done this already.

I’m friends with our local archery shop owner, he carried first lite for about 1-2 years. He mentioned that the dealer relationship was terrible, and first lite was a disaster to deal with.

I agree with one member about sizing and ordering. First lite is so off scale that I imagine their CS department is going to need to expand to handle the volume of returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
I work as a Controller for a small company in the baby world that is similar to First Lite. All of our Amazon retailers are growing, but all of our boutique brick and mortar stores have been closing one after the other all year long. From where I'm sitting I can see why they did this. As they say in the press release, "customers dictate the direction" they're buying from big online retailers, not from small mom and pop shops. It's a sad situation but there's no stopping it you have to move with and try to stay ahead of the market or get left behind. Hopefully you make the right decision as a company. I'm a First Lite fan, overall they're a good company but small and trying to keep their customers happy and this is how they think they can do it.