Best way to dye a cordura pouch

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a small corudra pouch in coyote and I want to dye or paint it blaze orange. I bought some Tulip brand fabric paint but I have doubts about it working. No-one in the store could tell me if it would work for my intended purposes but I believe it is best suited for t-shirts and the alike.

Anyone dye cordura recently and if so what is best solution for this?

Thanks

I can't imagine it taking the dye in a way you'd be pleased with. By the time you take your time and cost of dye I'd say your be ahead to just buy a pouch made from blaze orange cordura. What kind of pouch is it?

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually looked for one in orange and could not find what I wanted. The pouch is made by Vanquest

Give Pods a shout. He might have some blaze orange Cordura. He's definitely got the skills to make whatever you want.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Try a few light coats of Krylon spray paint for plastic. I get mine from Auto Zone, but I'm sure any hardware store will have it. They make it specially for plastic and similar material. Try a light coat then apply another after the first dries. Keep applying it in layers until you get the right look you want. Several light coats will work much better than one or two heavy coats.

Pontius

FNG
Rots of ruck. I spent hours trying to dye blue cordura black. Failed abjectly. Then painted it with Krylon Fusion, which lasted less than a season before mostly flaking away. Retired the thing and bought a real backpack.

matthewmt

WKR
Ive seen guys have some success dying stuff like ACU nylon to a green ACU. Light to dark is usually somewhat doable.
Think you have to add some salts and maybe others along with really cooking the item in a boiling bath with dye for better results.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk