Blood trailing dogs

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Who all uses blood trailing/tracking dogs? Just became legal in Oklahoma and I’m seriously considering training one or buying one. We hunt hogs with dogs and I’m sure I can train one to do it, but just curious what y’all do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty2426

WKR
Who all uses blood trailing/tracking dogs? Just became legal in Oklahoma and I’m seriously considering training one or buying one. We hunt hogs with dogs and I’m sure I can train one to do it, but just curious what y’all do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got 3. All Texas Lacy. 1 blue and 2 tri colored. Check out Texasbloodtrackers.com been involved in them for years

JWP58

WKR
I've considered using my brittanys for blood trailing. I figure if they can smell Huns 75yds away, certainly they can blood trail?

jwatts

WKR
I trail with a German Shorthaired Pointer and a German Shepherd. I am a mod for a Facebook group that helps find wounded deer in Mississippi. We have handlers all over the state that will track for free. The dogs used are varied. The most prevalent are labs, Catahoula curs, and Blackmouth curs.

WKR
My drahthaar has been trained for blood tracking though we are yet to track our first wounded big game animal. He kills coons, points pheasants and quail, and waterfowl hunts.

Good for recovering animals.
Bad if they are vocal in their recovering process.
Nothing worst than public land OTC bow hunting while dogs are running bears or lions or what ever all over the drainages and being vocal about it.

jwatts

WKR
My drahthaar has been trained for blood tracking though we are yet to track our first wounded big game animal. He kills coons, points pheasants and quail, and waterfowl hunts.

My next will likely be a Drathaar for that reason. My GSP points and tracks, but lacks the grit to hold a wounded deer if it comes down to it. If it's still alive (gut shot, leg shot, etc.) she will point it til I get there but in the daylight a deer won't hang around with a dog pointing it no matter how wounded.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
All the blood trailing dogs I have seen are not vocal, and most handlers I have seen have them on a lead as they track a blood trail.

I have been thinking out getting a dog in the next year and train it for this. Would love to help out people finding their animals.

In my state it's legal to use a blood trailing dog to find wounded or difficult-to-recover animals as long as the dog is on a leash. A friend of mine had a hound that he had tried to break of running elk with no luck. We decided to use the dog to trail wounded elk if the need arose. Used the dog once, had the elk found in about 4 hrs. I learned a lot on that experience. Elk hit too far back with an arrow will go way further than you would think possible. Never measured the actual distance, but a quick look on the ONX tool shows around 8 miles. Interestingly, the elk had expired by the time we got there around 24 hrs later. There's obviously a lot more to the story, but that's the short version.

Josey D

FNG
We've tracked black bear, moose, & blacktail with our drahthaar. I know there are a lot of D.D's tracking whitetaiils in the midwest as well. Most state laws require them to be on leash when tracking, & that is how it is usually trained for if you are doing any of the versitle breed tests. Its a lot of fun for both handlera & dog.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Dachshund, Trained him myself and he is a heck of a pup.

Thanks,
Boswell

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
Years I had an Australian shepherd that tracked crippled elk. She was well known in our county. She also was very possessive of her find towards other dogs but was the low dog on the totem pole. Great cow dog and would retrieve ducks.
i saw her track a wounded spike the following day after a large herd had crossed over the spikes trail the night before. Stayed on the spikes scent for a mile and half until she found him after he died. Dogs have amazing noses.

Dusty2426

WKR
I trail with a German Shorthaired Pointer and a German Shepherd. I am a mod for a Facebook group that helps find wounded deer in Mississippi. We have handlers all over the state that will track for free. The dogs used are varied. The most prevalent are labs, Catahoula curs, and Blackmouth curs.

Keep in mind the difference between “winders” and “trailers” pointers are usually winders. Meaning they have great noses but dont put them to the ground much and some times have difficult times with downwind situation. Trailers go nose to ground and wind doesn’t affect them much.

jwatts

WKR
Keep in mind the difference between “winders” and “trailers” pointers are usually winders. Meaning they have great noses but dont put them to the ground much and some times have difficult times with downwind situation. Trailers go nose to ground and wind doesn’t affect them much.

My GSP, and most that I have trailed with, trail when on a deer. They will straddle the track and "wind" the downwind side of a trail, but when they run into tough spots they tend to hit the trail with their nose down. They tend to have surprisingly cold noses. I've run several tracks over 18hr old with them before.

Dusty2426

WKR
My GSP, and most that I have trailed with, trail when on a deer. They will straddle the track and "wind" the downwind side of a trail, but when they run into tough spots they tend to hit the trail with their nose down. They tend to have surprisingly cold noses. I've run several tracks over 18hr old with them before.

Great, Use him in my years as a tracker I’ve seen every breed from cur to Dalmatian do good work. Just instinct and breed design (ear shape) has a big influence on good and great. I’m one of the founding members of Texas blood trackers association and have 3 ubt certified dogs. And sometimes some breeds still surprise me. Keep on tracking and good hunting sir.

Last edited: