Finding Hunting Friends

amp713

WKR
Kinda really liked scrolling through all of these posts, makes me feel a little better. I can talk to anyone for an hour but I have a hard time finding people i really wanna be around for long. And that's without throwing hunting and my passion for it into the mix. My dad and his buddy hunted and I started with them but they just don't like to do the same stuff I do and I quickly found myself going without them.... slowly converting them to my side but not near the extent I wish

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I've been hunting mostly solo since I was about 12-13 years old and I'm 30 now and still spend most of my time solo. My mom or dad would drop me off in the river bottoms after school with my bow and pick me up at dark. Nowadays I'm still going solo and I've found that finding a dedicated hunting partner has been harder than finding a 200" buck. One bit of advice when trying to find a hunting partner, and this has just been my experience, if you really have to talk the person in to going hunting with you, there's a good chance neither of you will enjoy the trip. I used to spend time planning hunts with buddies, putting considerable amounts of time in to planning a hunt specifically based on 2-3 guys going hunting, picking areas that have enough hunt able area for multiple guys to hunt, often times in milder terrain than what I would normally pick, just to have them back out. Now I plan all of my hunts based on me being solo, and if someone decides they really want to go, I'll let them talk me in to taking them. So far this hasn't happened and I'm still running mostly solo. When my buddies want to talk about going on a hunt now I tell them, "go ahead and plan it, let me know the dates, and I'll see if I can come." If someone really puts time in to it on their own and calls me with something that even resembles a plan and shows they put some time in to it, I'm way more interested in hunting with that person.

The bummer for me is I've been itching to do a fly in diy caribou, moose, or sitka blacktail hunt up north, and I haven't because that's one hunt I won't do solo. One, because moose are huge and I wouldn't mind some help on a hunt like that, and two, my wife lets me do a lot of things without objection, but me hunting solo in grizzly country is something she's not ok with. There are a ton of hunts I can do without breaking that one rule, so I'm biding my time until things come together for the up north adventure.

blackdawg

WKR
A sho nuff hunting partner is the hardest to find, even harder to keep around for a long time. Other commitments,family, jobs, finances and health are a few of the reasons it is so difficult. I don’t enjoy Solo hunting any longer, about day 7 , looking at your evening meal makes me feel like Tom Hanks in castaway, ready to talk to The soccer ball and name it. Unfortunately my desire to hunt will keep me going Solo for a while longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our company is in South Dakota, and the founder Brian is from Iowa. I guarantee you could make a connection with a fellow hunter around your place of residence as we have grown a lot this past year. I live in Utah, but won an archery antelope hunt in SD for next year....one of the greatest things about being involved with a hunting company is meeting others who have a passion for the outdoors like yourself....and as we grow around the globe, you end up meeting fellow hunters around the world!! How far away are you from Spearfish, SD? Also, we are doing a bunch of shows this year, I could find out when we'll be in an area near you if you'd like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My hunting companions have changed a lot over the years. High school buddies and family came first. Then college buddies and some family members. Then it was the guys I guided with, followed by my wife. Then we started having kids and my wife stayed home. I hunt with my brother and dad some, but they are primarily rifle hunters, and I carry a bow mostly, so I hunt solo mostly now. My oldest son is old enough to hunt small game now, and watching him shoot grouse and rabbits is the highlight of my season, soon he will be my hunting partner. I really don't trust anyone besides my son with the whereabouts of my hunting spots, it's taken too many years to find them an figure out how to hunt them. He's been there for all the summer scouting trips. Miles on the mountain, hours behind glass, buckets of sweat, and lots of mosquito bites will make even a young boy appreciate a good spot.
If it wasn't for my son, I'd be a solo hunter except for a token general deer hunt with my father and brother each year. Been burnt too many times to be very sharing with hunting spots. I'll give info to anyone about a unit I have recent knowledge of, but you can bet it's not where I'm hunting.

Billinsd

WKR
Find a wife. Take her......
It was much easier for me to find a wife than hunting friends. She used to hunt with me until we had kids. My wife tells me it's hard to find hunting friends because I live in San Diego, because not many their hunt.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord