Tipping on Self Guided Moose Hunts

So last year I was finally able to convince my wife to let me go on an Alaskan moose hunt, self guided. I’ve been saving pennies and gathering gear non stop since then. Most everything is paid for now, but I’m just trying to figure how much cash I should be taking with me. For those that have gone on a self guided hunt, who did you tip and how much? I’m planning on tipping the bush pilot...as long as we get in and out safe. Who else would you tip? Did you tip the guide service though they aren’t really supplying anything? Thanks for any input and advice!

KJH

WKR
I tip the pilot, if he doesn't own the plane. $100 each way. If he does, I might still tip if he's really accommodating and focused on me as a client.

I tip anyone who picks me up in a village and gets me from A to B while I'm there. Usually $100 for the whole trip and all my trips if I have the same helper each time. This is in addition to paying for the service. For example, if I need a ride to somewhere, I'll pay for the ride and tip the driver each time. If its the same driver who gives you his phone number and you use him exclusively, I'll pay say $50 for the rides and tip the $100.

I tip anyone who helps me get a place to butcher the meat after I come out of the field or gives me a place to butcher. I'm been happy with a tent, folding table, and lights. This is of huge value to me. Its worth $50-$100.

Then I tip anyone who is helpful or goes out of their way to help me when they didn't have to. FYI- Alaska Airlines staff cannot and will not accept tips, bu the other airlines that fly out of villages sometimes will take a tip.

hi2u

FNG
I tip the pilot, if he doesn't own the plane. $100 each way. If he does, I might still tip if he's really accommodating and focused on me as a client.

I tip anyone who picks me up in a village and gets me from A to B while I'm there. Usually $100 for the whole trip and all my trips if I have the same helper each time. This is in addition to paying for the service. For example, if I need a ride to somewhere, I'll pay for the ride and tip the driver each time. If its the same driver who gives you his phone number and you use him exclusively, I'll pay say $50 for the rides and tip the $100.

I tip anyone who helps me get a place to butcher the meat after I come out of the field or gives me a place to butcher. I'm been happy with a tent, folding table, and lights. This is of huge value to me. Its worth $50-$100.

Then I tip anyone who is helpful or goes out of their way to help me when they didn't have to. FYI- Alaska Airlines staff cannot and will not accept tips, bu the other airlines that fly out of villages sometimes will take a tip.

U make it sound like its a cancun trip and tip everyone. I'm confused why you guys are even tipping? These people are getting paid probably decent wages..?

cnelk

WKR
Last year I hired a private 'air taxi' to fly into a remote lake for DIY moose hunt, drop us off and pick us up 9 days later.

I shot a dandy moose, and I gave him about 50lbs of meat and $300 cash, on top of his fee

Interesting topic....tipping.

In general I don't believe a tip is needed for a man or woman who has some or all of these qualifiers:

1. Owns and/or operates their business.
2. Is doing professional (by education or certification) work as hired to perform it.
3. Is considered a contractor (works under contract) doing a contracted job for an identified price.
4. Works in a profession which doesn't typically depend on gratuities as a major income source.

Examples: Dentist, Realtor, Builder, RN, Pilot, Mechanic, Veterinarian....etc. Most people in these jobs (and many others) are adequately compensated directly by their professional charges or established wages. In many cases a tip would be puzzling or maybe even refused. Try to offer $50 to a paramedic at an accident scene and you'll understand.

That said, anyone can be offered a gratuity for services they provide....but historically only for GOOD services. It's gotten to where some people expect a tip just for showing up and hitting the norm...or maybe even less. I don't think a professional pilot automatically deserves a tip for flying me and not crashing...it's like tipping a surgeon for not nicking an artery. However, I will and I do give a gift in cases where I feel someone is going out of their way to help me, to the point it feels like personal service. That includes my pilots, taxidermist, etc. I don't think any of them expect it, and I always want them to know it's offered as a thank-you gift...not an obligatory gotta-do-it thing.

And finally...if I'm going to tip a pilot I'm going to do it well. $250 -$300 for a round-trip bush flight is basic. This is the guy who is (you hope) loading your bloody meat in his plane, bringing you something you may desperately need, checking on you mid-hunt, and being your ally. Those pilots who have a tough attitude and are hard to befriend (often providing bare-bones service)....well ....you decide.

I've been using fly-out services up here for going on 26 years and I've never tipped them out. I actually never even thought about it until a couple years ago someone was asking me the same question. I'm probably just cheap but I also know that the pilots, whether they own the business or not, do pretty well up here and I don't necessarily believe that everybody needs to be tipped for doing the job that they are already getting paid to do. My last bush flight, two months ago, took a grand total of 1 hour flight time (that's 15 min. in, 15 min. back to town, then 15 min. back in for the pick up and 15 min. back to town), and cost $1205. In this case it was one of the owners that flew us, and I think at that rate he's doing ok.

colonel00

WKR
Interesting topic. I honestly believe that tipping has lost its meaning most of the time. If you feel obliged to leave a tip then that isn't the point of tipping in the first place. As others have stated, it should be to show gratitude for an exceptional service above what you are already paying for.

Obligatory tipping is completely contrary to the purpose of a gratuity. It's never a good thing when an employee expects an automatic tip for doing normal work...nor is it good when someone provides a tip simply because they feel like it's completely expected. I usually tip a server or shuttle driver. I (may) give a private pilot a thank-you compliment and an envelope. It all depends on how I feel.

hi2u

FNG
How much is everyone spending for a charter? I might setup a new topic.. have been thinking about this for some time.

For the guy who paid 1200, would that be the same price if 4 people went with u? 300 a piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
When do you think the "tip" culture will end? When will people just be paid for what they do, and take guess work out of the equation?

How much is everyone spending for a charter? I might setup a new topic.. have been thinking about this for some time.

For the guy who paid 1200, would that be the same price if 4 people went with u? 300 a piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes and no. There were two of us and that was the price for a beaver load based on our wt. being 800 lbs or less. If 4 people went and they had more than just a little bit of gear each, say approx. 50 lbs. in their packs each, then that would be a full load for a beaver on floats so it would cost a little more (like maybe around 1500-$1600). Chances are if 4 people were going and wanting to bring a few creature comforts and camp comfortably, that would require two plane loads.

rayporter

WKR
I could barely afford a moose trip and a tip had to be earned. that guy that had the only pickup in town [ that ran] deserved a tip for hauling my gear.

When do you think the "tip" culture will end? When will people just be paid for what they do, and take guess work out of the equation?

Can't say. But you know it's gotten pretty pervasive when every single sit-down restaurant hands you a receipt which expects a tip and your signature. Some places calculate the tip for you, and in some cases it states up front that a 20% gratuity will be added to the final bill.

I remember hunting caribou in the NWT in its heyday. Our guides (there were several in camp) NEVER missed a chance to hang around with 'their' hunters up until departure time. Once they had their gratuity they basically signed off.

I once gave a guide...who became my friend...a custom Dick Robertson takedown recurve as a gift after a superb hunt. THAT was more than a simple tip. He was and still is the epitome of a hardcore Yukon cowboy, big game guide, philosopher, and all-around man's man.

I've had pilots save my butt on more than one occasion. Like the (2) times I managed to depart without some critical food supplies, and my pilot went to the store, bought food and flew it in at no extra cost. Like time my pilot plucked me out of the mountains ahead of schedule after I endured a 5+ day beating by a horrible storm system. Like the time my pilot wasn't getting paid on time by the outfitter, and he still picked me up on his own dime. Thank-you x 10....those are the guys going out of their way to provide service. Gratuity warranted.

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin said it best, in my opinion. Tipping for something like this is for exceptional service. If I don't feel like I am walking away satisfied and willing to tell a friend about great that service was, a tip isn't necessary. People who go above the norm to help out, physically or providing you with some great intel, are the ones who deserve it.

My favorite story is a buddy came back from Hawaii recently. They went out deep sea fishing. Fished for 4 hours and didn't catch a fish, not even any stolen bait. They get back to the dock, the guide/boat captain thanked them and told them that now was the time to tip.

dotman

WKR
Personally I wouldn’t tip if people are just doing the job you paid them to.

KurtR

WKR
Kevin said it best, in my opinion. Tipping for something like this is for exceptional service. If I don't feel like I am walking away satisfied and willing to tell a friend about great that service was, a tip isn't necessary. People who go above the norm to help out, physically or providing you with some great intel, are the ones who deserve it.

My favorite story is a buddy came back from Hawaii recently. They went out deep sea fishing. Fished for 4 hours and didn't catch a fish, not even any stolen bait. They get back to the dock, the guide/boat captain thanked them and told them that now was the time to tip.

Went on a fishing trip like that in Hawaii to. The snacks were one pack of kids gummy treats and a bottle of water which what ever. Went all day did not put effort in at the end not even a bite. He said it is time to tip I went to the car and left hope he is still not waiting there. After some research as this was a spur of the moment deal there was a reason this was the only guy at the dock with room in his boat. I help guide fish and pheasant hunting here and don't expect a tip but if I get one i know the people are happy and I don't make my whole living off guiding so the amount is not a big deal to me. If someone goes above and beyond in a service like Kevin has stated I tip but just being average or not even average is not deserving

I always tipped my pilot between 50 and 100 each way. If I need an extra case of beer dropped off he would "swing by".