Putting together your first backcountry gear list...where to cut corners?

OK, so I am about to get serious in terms of shifting to backcountry hunting. Specifically mule deer in either archery or muzzleloader seasons so late Aug.-Mid. Sept. This alone saves me on method of take since I have a Knight .45 muzzy and have always bow hunted. Clothing wise, I'm not concerned I will buy pieces on and off all the time (Kuiu, Sitka, FL, etc.). On my research for packs, I think this will be the first place where I really commit and buy a Stone Glacier. I think this will be a vital piece of equipment that will be the backbone of getting into and out of the backcountry. Boots, I haven't committed one way or another I definitely want something waterproof, but still light and agile with good ankle support. Thoughts?

Optics wise, I have a rangefinder with angle compensation out to 500yds. Not the fanciest of units, but since I will be trying to get within a 100yds and in, it should work fine. Binos, I am thinking of going with the Vortex Vultures (15x56) with Suiri T-025x tripod. I think I can get this combo put together for $550-$600 if I buy used. Robby seems to think you can get away with this quality for awhile until I upgrade, but this will get me in the game. Spotting scope wise, I haven't decided but thinking of setting my budget around 1K.

Tent haven't really looked much yet, suggestions would be great. I have done some research on sleeping bags and sleeping mats. I think I will get a quality air mat (thinking a large Therm-A-Rest NeoAir) Will throw in an egg crate mat to put under it along with using sections of it when glassing. Bag wise, want to get something around "0" degree, but with a good price point. Synthetic is totally fine with me, I figure it may not be as warm as the top quality (Western Mountaineering), but a quality mat seems to go along ways with your sleeping bag choice. Rather be too warm than freezing especially if buying a sleeping bag "on a budget".

As you guys can hopefully tell from my post, I have been putting in lots of time with research (I enjoy the process). I want to be a long time member and prove to many of the members here that I am not just a guy who joins asks for "unit help" and then disappears. I want to build some relationships here and get to know the senior members here.

I know I didn't touch on every piece of gear, but the larger purchases is what I am concerned about now ($200+). Thanks-Skyler

gelton

WKR
Better to ask where not to skimp:

Boots
Pack
Shelter
Sleep System

Depending on where you plan on hunting and what you plan on hunting you might be able to get away without using a spotter. I bought a spotter thinking I would use it but I dont trophy/sheep/goat hunt and the area that I hunt is pretty thick so about the only time I use the spotter is on the gun range.

IdahoElk

WKR
I buy almost all my clothes used,saves a lot while spending the most for new boots and sleep system.

Will you be bivy,car or base camp hunting? that would help us give you more advice.

Do you already have 10x42 or smaller bumps to wear on your person?
Being able to glass often and conveniently is a must and the 15s will be a pain in the neck, literally.
As for gear it sounds like you are on the right track but everyone has a preference and some things you can only figure out with experience.

OP
skyleralan
I buy almost all my clothes used,saves a lot while spending the most for new boots and sleep system.

Will you be bivy,car or base camp hunting? that would help us give you more advice.
Definitely buying used aside from base layers.

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

OP
skyleralan
Do you already have 10x42 or smaller bumps to wear on your person?
Being able to glass often and conveniently is a must and the 15s will be a pain in the neck, literally.
As for gear it sounds like you are on the right track but everyone has a preference and some things you can only figure out with experience.
Yep, I have some 10x42s already.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like you are set pretty much and have a solid plan. I’d save and watch for a good used pair of SwarZeiCa’s in 10x42s and a good tripod and mount. 15s are a very specialized optic IMO. You might look at these purchases over a lifetime...because if you wait and buy the highest quality they will last a LONG time and nothing “new” is going to be that much better. My 17 year old Zeiss spotter is down to about $80/ year now and from my buddy who borrowed it to go along with his few year old Leica for a helper on his goat hunt, I’m not giving up anything. That confirms my own observations and comparisons. Packs last and a SG will serve you forever. Sleeping bags and tents have a life but it is LONG...enjoy.

I wouldn’t skimp on boots, sleeping system and good clothing(non camo)

I would skimp on a pack but not frame. You can Run a good frame with big dry sack.

Create a system you can build on

Last edited:

colersu22

WKR
Like Gelton said I got a spotter but it is to thick in western Wa to be effective and I an not looking for trophy animals. I use my 10x42 vortex vipers on a tripod and it makes a huge difference in glassing and they are easier to free hand than some 15x.

Like IdahoElk mentioned it will help with input on a tent by what kind of camping you are doing. If I have a basecamp off the road I take a Big Angus big house 4, If I am solo or with my partner early season we just take a Seek Outside DST tarp and if it is colder out I will take the Seek Outside Cimarron with a stove.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I have some 10x42s already.

If your 10x42s are decent, I'd decide on a high power set of binos or a spotter in this case, rather than both. For me I went with a spotter, but it's a personal and situational decision. If your 10x42s are cheaper, I'd look at spending a majority of that optics budget on a good pair, they'll get used far more than a spotter or high mag binos will.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
As stated above DON'T skimp on ;

Packs
Sleeping system
Shelter

Lots of people can get by with a little lessor boot but get the best boot possible. This site and its member have lots of great stuff and a lot of good advise . Keep watching the classifieds and ask loads of question . Before you know it you will be ready to go and not have to look back.:cool:

OP
skyleralan
If your 10x42s are decent, I'd decide on a high power set of binos or a spotter in this case, rather than both. For me I went with a spotter, but it's a personal and situational decision. If your 10x42s are cheaper, I'd look at spending a majority of that optics budget on a good pair, they'll get used far more than a spotter or high mag binos will.
I'm thinking of splitting the difference. My 10x42s are good glass. Thinking of waiting on the spotter and going middle ground with Vortex 20x56 Kaibabs. I want to hunt mostly around timberline and chase high country mule deer.

HookUp

WKR
I would shop deals and go for the best quality you can. Take your time building your arsenal. You could save a lot of money on clothing by using Prana Zions for $59 on sale vs. $150+ for designer hunting brands. Glass look for used, ebay classifieds, etc.

HookUp

WKR
I'm thinking of splitting the difference. My 10x42s are good glass. Thinking of waiting on the spotter and going middle ground with Vortex 20x56 Kaibabs. I want to hunt mostly around timberline and chase high country mule deer.

I would go something with variable power. Spotting scopes are for glassing areas far away. If you see a deer just get closer and put your binos on him. I dont know of to many folks outside of Cous Deer hunters that run 20X. Most guys run 12-15X for high country mule deer. If you have more time than money, hiking into basins and glassing with 15X is great, you don't have to have a spotter. I pack one and use it less than half the time mule deer hunting, and even then its usually middle of the day garbage time when I'm looking for ears or antler tips.

ChukarUp

FNG
All good advice here so far. Personal preference and situation goes a long ways. My two cents would be....

Boots- Fit is everything, so start by finding the perfect socks, then wear those to try on all the different boots you are considering. Once you decide on a pair, wear them around the house for 30 minutes or so. If they aren't perfect, return them and start over. I have Irish Setter Vaprtreks. They are sturdy but relatively lightweight. I have to wear my perfectly matched socks, but they are work great for me (not everyone though).

Glass- If you are in big, open country you will not regret having a spotter rather than 15x or 20x binoculars. I have a gen 1 razor in 16-48x65. Great glass and lightweight...about the same weight as high powered binos and I think some of the major retailers are still selling these at a great discount.

Sleeping bag- I have a zero degree Marmot. I don't really feel like I skimped a lot here but it was a lot less expensive than the super high end stuff.

Might have read this wrong, but I would only take one sleeping pad if you can get away with it from a comfort perspective.

Good luck!

BigDog00

WKR
1. Boots (Check Sierra Trading Post often for good deals)
2. Pack (Kifaru, SG, MR, etc...I run a kifaru and love it)
3. Sleep System (check out Mountainsmith LT Shelter, its light and cheap)

The list above is in the order I would consider most important. There are a lot of good podcast that go over what you need and what you don't (Gritty Bowmen, Kifarucast, Hunt Backcountry, etc). If you already have a decent set of 10x42's, I'd look for a used 65mm Swaro for a spotting scope. You can find some pretty crazy deals on here and other classifieds if you look. Plus you can/and should run your binos off your tripod, it makes a huge difference. I wouldn't worry about a set of 15x/20x binos if you're going to run a spotter, but I know guys that take both.

The Neoair will work great. I'd maybe look at a 20 deg bag instead of a 0 deg. Early season (Aug/Sept) doesn't really warrant a 0 deg bag IMO, it the temp drops that far just throw on a few layers that you're likely already packing. I use to run a cheaper (~$125) Mountain Hardware synthetic and it worked . When you start getting into the ultra lightweight gear it will get significantly more expensive. Good luck and don't overthink it. You can get away with middle of the road gear. You don't need high dollar stuff....but, it doesn't hurt. ;)

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Boots-I'll also say to watch Sierra Trading Post. I run a great pair of Asolo boots I got there for around $150.
Sleep system-Take a look at Nemo Equipment Tensor Field sleep pad and Argali bag. Similar system as Big Agnes but better quality and warmer for equivalent temp rating IMO.
Shelter-Seek Outside LBO is a great versatile and light shelter system.

Billinsd

WKR
Only buy gear on sale. You can buy gear that is a bit heavier than the latest and greatest for less. You don't have to buy big brand names. You want to buy good enough quality at a bargin price. Don't just listen to guys here on gear (which is your best resource)Look at lots of other sites. Oh, oh, oh... sign onto active junkie to buy stuff and get extra savings. If you go to an REI don't listen to their advice, they are idiots. If you must take it with a heaping of salt. Camofire everday. Commit to never pay full price!!

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cookware, you don’t need a $150 set up. A $40 pocket rocket or similar and $20 light weight pot is just fine.

Prioritize the expensive items first pack, boots, shelter. Find deals on them then you have a better idea of what you can spend on everything else.