Where the heck is the meateater?

I’m loving the transition from TV to YouTube and other similar media. First of all, I can’t even really get Sportsman’s channel. Although there’s still a lot of advertising/product placement, it’s better than TV commercials. The longer, more detailed content is much more appealing to me than the 22-minute bits on TV. I hope Meateater follows a similar path to Mr. Newbird. That’s also what is so great about the Meateater podcast—the ability to dive deep into various subject matters that you could hardly even touch in a 22-minute hunt show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real interested in what Randy has to say after the first.

I honestly doubt it's anything real earth shattering or surprising. Platforms like YouTube are essentially like having your own TV network, without any of the administrative constraints. You get to pick and choose the content and aren't forced into a 22min slot, meanwhile meeting demands of sponsors. Just using myself as an example, I'd venture to guess about 50% of friends/family have discontinued their television service and are soley utilizing things like amazon, netflix, roku, etc... It's happening fast but other than a few of the elderly folks I know or am related to, I wouldn't be surprised if the other 50% move over in the next 2 yrs as well. For sake of argument, If sportsman channel charges $50K to run a season of Fresh Tracks or Meateater on TV and you get 10- 22min segments, you can do the same on youtube for 0$ (with the exception of your overhead obviously). I'm actually surprised it took TV/Viewers this long to catch on....

Like he said, if the viewers are transitioning away from conventional TV, the sponsors will go with the viewers.

Last edited:

Mtnboy

WKR
Count me in the club hoping Meat Eater follows suit and does all digital content.

We haven't paid for any "cable" TV for over 5 years now, don't even miss it.

YouTube...YouTube...YouTube!!!

Mt Al

WKR
i quit cable. i miss Meateater and Western hunter. that episode where that lady smacked the Elk (on meateater) might be the first time i literally CHEERED at the television on a hunting show. great show.

I quit cable/satellite about 18 years ago but have seen Meateater and loved it. The rest are so awful, ridiculous I can't believe people watch them....then you think about the type of people that WOULD watch those shows and sponsors that advertise on them...then it answers the questions about why hunters look like idiots. All a lib-tard has to do is turn on a hunting channel to be provided will all the ammo they need. Of course they're going to paint us with one brush because that's what they do. Now I've taken this way off track.

Meateater was/is a great show.

WKR
I honestly doubt it's anything real earth shattering or surprising. Platforms like YouTube are essentially like having your own TV network, without any of the administrative constraints. You get to pick and choose the content and aren't forced into a 22min slot, meanwhile meeting demands of sponsors. Just using myself as an example, I'd venture to guess about 50% of friends/family have discontinued their television service and are soley utilizing things like amazon, netflix, roku, etc... It's happening fast but other than a few of the elderly folks I know or am related to, I wouldn't be surprised if the other 50% move over in the next 2 yrs as well.

Like he said, if the viewers are transitioning away from conventional TV, the sponsors will go with the viewers.
Oh yeah, we cut the cord 8 years ago. Delivery of media is in great flux.

But, as a Newberg fanboy, I've noticed a few things Randy has said about the industry over the last few years. He doesn't tend to just drop comments like the one above unless he has something he wants to say. So his comments will be interesting to me. I think the fact that he has discovered another medium and it's proving very viable means that he now has the freedom to be brutally honest about how the sausage is generally made.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

But, as a Newberg fanboy, I've noticed a few things Randy has said about the industry over the last few years. He doesn't tend to just drop comments like the one above unless he has something he wants to say. So his comments will be interesting to me. I think the fact that he has discovered another medium and it's proving very viable means that he now has the freedom to be brutally honest about how the sausage is generally made.

Yes in that regard I'm sure there's a ton of headaches eliminated just by ditching conventional networks and having your own channel so to speak.

HookUp

WKR
We should be watching what we want, when we want. Entertainment is changing and its a good thing for the viewer. Meat Eater and Jim Shockey's Uncharted are two shows I would buy a net work subscription for but I'm not paying for cable anytime soon. Randy is on the cutting edge with his facebook and youtube content, pretty good for an old guy, shows how damn smart he is!!

Dameon

WKR
I dropped cable 7 years ago. Lately, I’ve been spending every night watching Randy Newberg, Born and Raised Outdoors, and Hush on YouTube while I work on revising genetics manuscripts for submission or peer review. If it weren’t for the growth of digital media, I wouldn’t be able to see Randy, Trent, and Eric get after it every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Randy has commented on the economics of producing for outdoor TV and it doesn't sound like it's revenue positive...I suspect along with the economics of serving content on youtube/vhx altering the financials, analytic insights on the audience and feedback are much better and quicker which provide valuable feedback...but I'll also be interested if he adds more...

Thanks for what you've done and do, Randy!

wesfromky

WKR

LostArra

WKR
As long as they can sell your info to someone. Number one rule of the internet is that is "If you are not paying for a service, then you are the product, not the customer."

A bit of a tangent, but might be worth a watch if you want to know more about the biz models of youtube, facebook, etc, along with a bit of AI:

Zeynep Tufekci: We're building a dystopia just to make people click on ads | TED Talk

Thanks
Interesting stuff
I guess I'm an anomaly or just an old curmudgeon. I have never clicked a you tube ad in my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Maybe not so much "sponsors" as much as "product placement".

Like I've never seen Randy Newbergs show on TV, but heard him drop names like Leupold, Sitka, howa, orca coolers, OnX....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
Randy uses Orion coolers lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Randy uses Orion coolers lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Well... You got me there. The point I was trying to make is now null and void thanks so one mistake lol

Hall256

WKR
Well... You got me there. The point I was trying to make is now null and void thanks so one mistake lol

I think you meant to say "thanks to one mistake".
So now it appears your point about making a point is also void...LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I like the YouTube hunting shows. I really like the ones, like Meateater, that don't push advertising. How many times, during a show, have you heard Steve Rinella or his guests like Ryan Callahan mention First Lite? Never!!! That's what I want to watch.

Most sound like Nascar drivers. Every Nascar Post Race Interview - YouTube

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.