Getting a new truck, help me decide

Retterath

WKR
Im getting a 3/4 gas dodge or chevy. I have always had a 1/2 ton chevy and have had great luck with them. I use if mainly for hunting and fishing and pulling my camper which isn't very big and also pull a 16' enclosed trailer. I only put maybe 10k miles on a year, and thats a lot in a year for me.

Im looking for people that has had either one or both and pros and cons of each. I will be looking for something newer but maybe not brand new but around 30-40K miles on it. I will most likely have this truck for around 6-8 years. I was leaning towards a dodge since it would be something different and like the bigger back seat for more room for the kids. I also noticed that you can get a newer dodge with less miles and definitely cheaper. What are everyones thoughts on this decision. I know every truck can have issues and different issues i understand that but want to get something that will last me and be durable. Thanks

colersu22

WKR
I have an 08 ram 1500 and it feels like there is a couple less inches of room in the crew cab than my buddies 13 chevy 1500. I know when I am in the back of my truck I feel cramped and I am only 5' 9" If I was going to get another dodge it would defiantly be a mega cab. Maybe I was spoiled from the space my crew cab f350 had but the dodge feels tiny.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I only drive 1 ton diesels, so take this with a grain of salt, but my rule of thumb is : If you want a super comfy cab, get a Chev\GM. If you want the best running gear, i.e balljoints, get a Ford. If you want the best engine, get a Dodge. So other than the engine part (I have no experience with gas engines) I would still hold to that. And by 'best', I mean work on it less. Trucks suck in general, but they are a necessary tool.

danarnold

WKR
we've had great luck with dodge diesel.
my wife has a 1500 ecodiesel 4 door thats super comfortable and has plenty of power while avg 24.5mpg over the 17K miles we've had it. not the tq monster like my 05 cummins but overall I prefer to drive the eco

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's a reason why you hear people say "the only reason to get the dodge is for the diesel". That also ties into why you see Dodge's cheaper.

elkguide

WKR
I've had great luck with GMC. Currently in a '16 so only have 20k miles but have had zero issues. Previous ones have also been issue free for me. I've got 2 buddies with '17 Dodges, 1 - 2500 and 1 - 3500, the 2500 lost the entire transmission at 25k miles and the 3500 only lost 4th gear at 23k. Two of my employees have both put an entire front ends under their Dodges. (I know. If I paid them more they would be able to drive a GM!)
I use my truck about like you. I have a painting company so that I only carries ladders and a bunch of painting tools and supplies and only tow a trailer with a tractor behind it 2 or 3 times a month and as the salesman said, I could pull everything I need to with a 1/2 ton gas job BUT as I told him, the biggest reason that I drive a 2500 is that when I'm driving with a load behind me.... I want to be sure that I can stop and I just love a diesel!
I agree with what was said above and if I could build my ideal truck, I'd start with a Ford running gear add an Allison transmission, a GM body and ride and drive it with an older model Cummins.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Of the two your considering there would be no question that I’d buy a Chevy 3/4 ton with a 6.0l gas motor.

GLB

WKR
I have been going back and forth on a new truck Dodge or Toyota but wanting a 1/2 ton. I currently drive a Tacoma and it's been a good truck for me but want to go a little bigger. The Tundra has my eye right now. It's physically bigger than the Dodge 1500 but has less gas mileage. My wife drives a Toyota RAV4 and we have been at peace with the reliability of both vehicles.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Now is the time to buy. Used trucks are at a low right now and will start to go up over the next few months, peaking in the summer. Then starting to come down again. The 2017 ram has a lot of cool new features, you need to decide which gas motor to get. Another option is a big horn crew cab ram in 1500. Great truck and nothing close as far as value. Plenty of tow power as well.

GregB

WKR
We got 3 new 2013 3/4 gas Dodge Rams where I was working. 90% of their use was on dirt roads or off road. All 3 had problems within 2k miles. The ignition and linkage for the shifter broke on one, wiring harness had to be redone 2 times on another and the third had issues with the air intake and filter. I would avoid getting a Dodge.

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
I am biased as I work at a Chevy Dealer in western ND but I would say the 6.0 gas. You definitely won't get the fuel mileage that you are used to with the half ton.

If you are going to jump up to 3/4 ton, get the diesel. I have been through several 1500 Z71 4x4s in my day...put 135K on my last one, and am now in a Chevy 2500 High Country with Duramax. I will never drive another gasser again. I do have a 28 ft center console/triple axle trailer that I "need" it for, but even if I didn't I wouldn't go back.

My favorite benefit outside of the towing is I can run 700 miles on one tank (I already had this pay off exponentially during hurricane Irma...was able to drive non-stop from South Florida to North Georgia while others were either broken down on the side of the road or miserable, waiting for hours in lines. My wife really became an advocate during that trip.)

Your engine will last longer, truck will hold value, and you always have the muscle if you need it. And perhaps most importantly ;), who doesn't love the sound of a diesel

If you are going to jump up to 3/4 ton, get the diesel. I have been through several 1500 Z71 4x4s in my day...put 135K on my last one, and am now in a Chevy 2500 High Country with Duramax.

I will 2nd this. I have a 16 GMC 2500 HD. There is really nothing I don't love about the truck. It can pull my little 28' 5th wheel like it is nothing. The exhaust breaking is amazing and makes towing in up and down situations very manageable. I drive mine a lot, I have over 50k miles in under 2 years with about 7k miles towing a 5th wheel.

As long as I have my trailer I will have a diesel truck no doubt about it. If you are set on a gasser then I still recommend the GMC/Chevy over the Dodge.

kicker338

WKR
Things to consider, whats the max weight you will be pulling, what kind of fuel economy are you looking for, what kind of ride do you want, truck like of car like? If your max loads in the trailers your pulling are 7k or under the only justification for a 3/4 ton is you want one. If that's the way you want to go I tend to go with the diesel crowd. The only gas motor that should stay up with them isn't on the market yet. Ford is coming out with a new 427" double overhead cam 4 valves per cylinder for the 2019 3/4 tons that should be a real power house. They say it will beat the the pants off there current gas motors in fuel mileage. Back to the weight issue, 7k and under you just don't need a 3/4 ton, all the manufactures 1/2 tons will handle that with eze, some will pull that like it isn't even there. I have a 2017 f150 ecoboost and pull a 23ft. camper. That truck has power you have to experience to believe, pulls more like a diesel than a gasser.

uzikaduzi

FNG
i love diesels, but averaging less than 10k miles and likely not needing the low rpm torque for towing and hauling frequently, I'd disagree with comments saying you should get a diesel as you are being more practical. diesels have a $6-8k premium new and hold their value much better, but that means spending near new prices for a 30-40k mile truck where as you can get a much better deal on a gas truck so holding their value begins to be relative. sure a diesel will be worth more with your estimated 90-120k miles in 6-8 years, but you paid a premium for that and you likely ended up spending much more for fuel (sure diesels get better mileage but that is nearly completely offset with the added cost of diesel not to mention urea) and maintenance. no doubt a diesel will pull and haul better, but a small to moderate camper and a 16' trailer aren't that taxing on a 5.7 or 6l gas engine... especially with proper gearing and free float axles.

at some point, diesels got insanely popular to where people who barely need a truck buy them... to me it's not worth the premium unless you are putting a ton of miles on a truck a year or you tow/haul constantly.

as far as my vote between a chevy and dodge... if you want a smoother riding more plush truck, the chevy is the obvious choice (which you noticed, you'll pay for) if you are more utilitarian in your needs, the dodge will do what you need it to do at a cheaper. sites like Edmunds say the 5 year maintenance and repair costs are more the chevy than the dodge... being 4400 over 5 years for the chevy and 3900 for the dodge, but their insurance averages completely negate that with insurance costs averaging 9800 for 5 years for the dodge and 9100 for the chevy.

boom

WKR
i love diesels, but averaging less than 10k miles and likely not needing the low rpm torque for towing and hauling frequently, I'd disagree with comments saying you should get a diesel as you are being more practical. diesels have a $6-8k premium new and hold their value much better, but that means spending near new prices for a 30-40k mile truck where as you can get a much better deal on a gas truck so holding their value begins to be relative. sure a diesel will be worth more with your estimated 90-120k miles in 6-8 years, but you paid a premium for that and you likely ended up spending much more for fuel (sure diesels get better mileage but that is nearly completely offset with the added cost of diesel not to mention urea) and maintenance. no doubt a diesel will pull and haul better, but a small to moderate camper and a 16' trailer aren't that taxing on a 5.7 or 6l gas engine... especially with proper gearing and free float axles.

at some point, diesels got insanely popular to where people who barely need a truck buy them... to me it's not worth the premium unless you are putting a ton of miles on a truck a year or you tow/haul constantly.

as far as my vote between a chevy and dodge... if you want a smoother riding more plush truck, the chevy is the obvious choice (which you noticed, you'll pay for) if you are more utilitarian in your needs, the dodge will do what you need it to do at a cheaper. sites like Edmunds say the 5 year maintenance and repair costs are more the chevy than the dodge... being 4400 over 5 years for the chevy and 3900 for the dodge, but their insurance averages completely negate that with insurance costs averaging 9800 for 5 years for the dodge and 9100 for the chevy.

on the money.

my brother has a 3/4 ton Dodge..his is a diesel..but about the truck itself,. it is super nice. i love the interior. very truck-like. the rig feels taller right from the factory. you have to really climb up into the thing. the chevy feels lower..interior is posh. my friend had troubles with his Duramax, cried lemon-law and got into a similar truck but gas motored. it is amazing and he doesnt miss the diesel one bit. he is like you..tows occasionally (a race car)..he didnt feel the need to get another diesel rig.